Page 287 of 750 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297337387 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,305 of 11243
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    When did this happen? Which Black Panther story line?
    Ditto... Since when has there been racial tension between African-Americans (E.g., Ororo) and Wakandans (E.g., T'Challa).
    Last edited by Micabe; 06-29-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Niffleheim

Racial tension? Are Africans and AA different races now? I'm African so i don't want to assume how AA choose to identify themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Probably Shuri, daughter of XXXXXXX. Whether she'd be called the daughter of her father or the daughter of her mother depends on how Wakandan culture handles it. I don't know if it's been established, but if it hasn't, I'd go with "daughter of [mother's name]" for women.

kdb
    Yeah, probably, although in Iceland (perhaps the best modern equivalent) it varies. According to Wikipedia, some families alternate the matronymic and the patronymic, regardless of the child's gender.

Interestingly, they recently introduced a new construct that translates as "child of", for non-binary citizens. I could easily see Wakanda doing the same, especially since there's no guarantee that all of their citizens are biologically human (or, indeed, biological)

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Racial tension? Are Africans and AA different races now? I'm African so i don't want to assume how AA choose to identify themselves.
    Perhaps he's thinking of some of the overt xenophobia of the Priest & McGregor runs?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    In the USA I'm either Black or African American to the police and hyphenated White Europeans in general.
    Last edited by Micabe; 06-29-2020 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    I want a writer who can showcase that there is more to Wakanda than just the Golden City, vibranium, and domestic terrorism.

What does the Wakandan nightlife look like? What is their favorite cuisine? What do they do for fun?

Is there a Wakandan soccer team out there? Are they any good? Are there Wakandan musicians?

Is there still a racial tension between African-Americans and Wakandans or is Marvel pretending like that never happened?

These questions and more, I want answered.
    All this **** sounds boring AF.

You know what happens when you write a BP issue about the F'ing soccer team? It sells 5K and goes in the trash.

This is super hero comics. No one cares about Wakanda food.

Wakanda is just the setting to allow BP to do stuff. Wakanda isn't the star. T'challa is. Books ain't called "Wakanda #1"

Too many fans worry too much about Wakanda. Wakanda exists to prop up T'challa, not vice versa (well, it exists now to drag T'challa down tbf).

The franchise can barely get T'challa off the ground, can't get any supporting character off the ground, and yall wanna worry about Wakanda?

Wakanda = Asgard = Latveria = Atlantis = Gotham = Metropolis = Kun Lun = NYC = it is just a GD place not some holy comic grail

And there is no racial tension. A lot of Wakanda doesn't like anyone that isn't Wakanda, period. They are xenophobic at lot of times. Not racist.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Well on his run, other then with doom, Erik, and klaw maybe, he wasn't really hit that often so it wasn't that it was ignored, he just wasn't getting hit
    During the course of Hudlins run, his suit has taken a few hits and even shown some damage. It's entirely possible that with the exception of the Killmonger fight he was using a cloth suit. Likewise the energy daggers and kimoyo cards all but vanished... I believe he used the daggers like once.

It's pretty fair to say Hudlin for the most part ignored Priests gear. His version largely went back to basics and punched out his bad guys (and there's nothing wrong with that). He's not a very good example of a writer not ignoring previously established tech and gear.
    Last edited by XPac; 06-29-2020 at 06:24 AM.

I would like the new black Panther writer to soft reboot and write the comic book like its a comic book. Anything that resembles or builds off Coates' take would just be off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    During the course of Hudlins run, his suit has taken a few hits and even shown some damage. It's entirely possible that with the exception of the Killmonger fight he was using a cloth suit. Likewise the energy daggers and kimoyo cards all but vanished... I believe he used the daggers like once.

It's pretty fair to say Hudlin for the most part ignored Priests gear. His version largely went back to basics and punched out his bad guys (and there's nothing wrong with that). He's not a very good example of a writer not ignoring previously established tech and gear.
    Show me which issues shows the damage, because frankly, the only fight now that I think about it that he shows damage is klaw and doom in vol 5. With Erik the habit never shows any damage, the thrice blessed does but not the habit. Also he uses the daggers twice and he uses kimoyo as well as the habit. I would hardly say he ignored the stuff. He just didn't use a lot of tech to begin with.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    He's T'Challa, son of T'Chaka, which is every bit as specific as calling him T'Challa T'Chakason.
    That's wholly inefficient. An antiquated cultural convention. This is the year 2020. Wakandans need to step up their surname game.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Surnames are largely a Western invention.

That's enough reason for Wakanda to not have them.
    Even Asgardians have surnames, and they aren't even Earthlings. Doesn't that seem backward to you?
    Um. The Asgardian surname, like the Nordic, is simply a contraction of "son of." It's no more backward, nor less efficient than your example is effective in refuting the previous points. Moreover, as Blind Wedjat points out, A Main Point of Wakanda being different than Eurocentric tradition is that Wakanda developed independently of Eurocentric influences. They're supposed to be different just as The Inhumans are supposed to be different.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    How come Batman can have those qualities and be LOVED by the comic fan boys but it T'Challa has the same qualities he's a Mary Sue or "Boring"????

Awwww....who am I kidding? I know that the majority of BP/T'Challa fans in this message board ALREADY KNOW the answer to THAT question.
    To be fair, there actually is a pretty sizable and vocal group in DC-fandom that detest "Batgod" depictions. But I get your point.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

You know what happens when you write a BP issue about the F'ing soccer team? It sells 5K and goes in the trash.

Wakanda is just the setting to allow BP to do stuff. Wakanda isn't the star. T'challa is. Books ain't called "Wakanda #1"

Too many fans worry too much about Wakanda. Wakanda exists to prop up T'challa, not vice versa (well, it exists now to drag T'challa down tbf).

The franchise can barely get T'challa off the ground, can't get any supporting character off the ground, and yall wanna worry about Wakanda?

Wakanda = Asgard = Latveria = Atlantis = Gotham = Metropolis = Kun Lun = NYC = it is just a GD place not some holy comic grail

And there is no racial tension. A lot of Wakanda doesn't like anyone that isn't Wakanda, period. They are xenophobic at lot of times. Not racist.
    T'Challa has always been defined by his relationship to his nation. Wakanda is not just setting, it its own character.

Wakanda is just as much of a character in BP as the USS Enterprise was in Star Trek. And I know some grown men who've cried watching the Enterprise blow up in Star Trek III and you probably do too.

The franchise can barley get a supporting character off of the ground because most of the supporting characters in BP are just staff members of the Royal Palace who they live to serve their king. The only time when they open their mouths is through board meetings and mission briefings where everyone either speaks in either military jargon or philosophy. Which leads to Okoye sounding exactly like Nakia who also sounds exactly like Shuri.

We need more to Black Panther than C-SPAN. We need a writer who can bring a sense of atmosphere to Wakanda. It needs to feel like a community, a living, breathing place where the reader would actually feel invested in. So when Wakanda is on the brink of danger, the reader would feel the sense of urgency when it comes time for BP to defend it.
    Last edited by Common Writer; 06-29-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

While I do think that some people look at T'Challa and Wakanda as one and the same I don't think the idea is to turn his comic into some slice of life nonsense. You can explore the more "mundane" aspects of Wakandan society while still keeping it relevant to the plot and his character development.

Why does T'Challa always need to talk politics in his war room, let him preside over a wrestling tournament in a Mute Zone while W'Kabi mumbles to him about Jabari bandits in the north. Or make him take some students at the Hekima Shule to coffee and use it as exposition for Shadow Physics. Have him take a woman not named Storm out for the night and go to some afro-jazz club he recently financed in Birnin Zana.

There are ways to organically expand on Wakanda with art and one-liners without detracting from T'Challa. But that should be secondary (tertiary in fact) to elevating T'Challa first and his villains second. The Black Panther isn't some sandbox like the X-Men, he's a SOLO character.
    Last edited by chief12d; 06-29-2020 at 07:34 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Ditto... Since when has there been racial tension between African-Americans (E.g., Ororo) and Wakandans (E.g., T'Challa).
    It wasn't racial tension but when T'Challa brought his first girlfriend (Monica) over during McGregor's run some Wakandans didn't approve.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Show me which issues shows the damage, because frankly, the only fight now that I think about it that he shows damage is klaw and doom in vol 5. With Erik the habit never shows any damage, the thrice blessed does but not the habit. Also he uses the daggers twice and he uses kimoyo as well as the habit. I would hardly say he ignored the stuff. He just didn't use a lot of tech to begin with.
    Hudlin's costume for the MOST part just seemed like cloth. If the idea Hudlin was trying to potray was that it was vibranium weave, I don't think the art or the writing did a very good job of conveying that EXCEPT in the Killmonger fight. We probably saw more usage of Priests gear in Yosts Worlds Apart mini and in Geoffs Avengers than we did in Hudlins near half decade run.

Black-Panther-Arena-Fight-Comic.jpg

Again, I'm not inherently against Hudlins decision to downplay the tech and vibranium suit. I just don't agree he is a good example of a writer who incorporates previously established tech and gear.