Page 292 of 750 FirstFirst ... 192242282288289290291292293294295296302342392 ... LastLast
Results 4,366 to 4,380 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    Didn't Rise of the Black Panther show people how effective he is? I mean he held Namor at bay with just his standard gear, he beat up the Winter Solider, defeated Jakaar, infiltrated Latvaria w/ Shuri, stopped Killmonger from destroying SHIELD and kept Wakanda safe.

I felt he had a good showing in Rise.

But......yes T'Challa DEFINITELY NEEEEEEDSSS a VERY GOOD SHOWING in his next run. Black Panther fans need to have their faith rewarded!
    I think the problem with rise is the sane as liss run. Not enough people read it. If coates cane correct in S1 with a slam dunk story that re-established Wakanda, and showed T'Challa as a badass, it would of been huge

Coates moved to Paris...

https://www.democracynow.org/2016/2/...hisi_coates_on

You need to craaawl before you baaaaaaallllll...

Learning French probably helps research for Wakanda!
    Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    Didn't Rise of the Black Panther show people how effective he is? I mean he held Namor at bay with just his standard gear, he beat up the Winter Solider, defeated Jakaar, infiltrated Latvaria w/ Shuri, stopped Killmonger from destroying SHIELD and kept Wakanda safe.

I felt he had a good showing in Rise.

But......yes T'Challa DEFINITELY NEEEEEEDSSS a VERY GOOD SHOWING in his next run. Black Panther fans need to have their faith rewarded!
    I really liked rise. So much that I bought the trade. I don't buy many physical trades.

But...

It came out IN THE MIDDLE of Coates run. So it wasn't a palate cleanser, it was a side book.

What me and BW are talking about is a palate cleanse lol

And a reminder, Rise actually sold pretty good for a side mini.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Well, you and I disagree about RISE, but it _was_ better written than the main book.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

'Rise' was good but it was essentially an MCU inspired version of 'Who is the Black Panther?', and as MoS pointed out it was a side book as well. I think we've done the origin story thing enough now with T'Challa.

Having read three of Ellis' mini series now there's a pattern:

• 6 issues MAX
    • A small cast of characters with square focus on the main character
    • Very little connection to the wider universe
    • A new villain or group of villains per issue
    • Minimalist dialogue, dry wit and serious tone
    • Lots of brutal and feat-heavy action

I love them because they act like short stories and don't come across as these world-ending, status quo changing and "watch everything get destroyed" stories Marvel loves way too much these days. Just T'Challa doing his thing, maybe in Wakanda or around the globe. Taking down a random new villain every issue or one for the entire mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    'Rise' was good but it was essentially an MCU inspired version of 'Who is the Black Panther?', and as MoS pointed out it was a side book as well. I think we've done the origin story thing enough now with T'Challa.

• 6 issues MAX

I love them because they act like short stories and don't come across as these world-ending, status quo changing and "watch everything get destroyed" stories Marvel loves way too much these days. Just T'Challa doing his thing, maybe in Wakanda or around the globe. Taking down a random new villain every issue or one for the entire mini.
    They actually needed to do his origin again since a lot of stuff Priest, Hudlin and others did needed to be consolidated. With various reactions layered on top of each other, some spring cleaning was needed. Plus it's a descent entry book for new readers coming off the movies.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Feats wise, that doesn't count because t'challa's particular claws never did it.

rules on rules lol
    Aw maaaaan! Spoilsport. That's like saying we know what gravity does, but we never actually saw T'Challa fall down so it must not affect him (jk)

• 6 issues MAX

6 issue max, revenge spree. T'Challa and Shuri go out to kill
    Proxima
    Corvus
    Black dwarf
    And Maximus (this one may be harder, so a hardcore ass whooping/living death could suffice)
    All the while allowing the 3rd character (Wakanda) a space to flex advanced technology to tske down the black order.

I feel that would be the perfect palate cleanse and re-establishment of T'Challa to show you don't frak with him or Wakanda

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post

I feel that would be the perfect palate cleanse and re-establishment of T'Challa to show you don't frak with him or Wakanda
    How about we just do Black Panther versusu Predator to show that.

So we can get another POC not named Kyle or Cassandra doing a crossover with a different franchise.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    6 issue max, revenge spree. T'Challa and Shuri go out to kill
    Proxima
    Corvus
    Black dwarf
    And Maximus (this one may be harder, so a hardcore ass whooping/living death could suffice)
    All the while allowing the 3rd character (Wakanda) a space to flex advanced technology to tske down the black order.

I like this, BUT part of the reason why I like having little or no connections to the wider universe or past stories is so the next writer isn't tempted to undo all of that for 'stakes'. "T'Challa thought he killed the Black Order! But they're back! To destroy Wakanda!" You know how this stuff goes.

In this hypothetical mini series I'm totally fine with Shuri only being in T'Challa's ear. I want the focus squarely on HIM. Just T'Challa running the gauntlet. No back up. No assists.

I like this, BUT part of the reason why I like having little or no connections to the wider universe or past stories is so the next writer isn't tempted to undo all of that for 'stakes'. "T'Challa thought he killed the Black Order! But they're back! To destroy Wakanda!" You know how this stuff goes.

In this hypothetical mini series I'm totally fine with Shuri only being in T'Challa's ear. I want the focus squarely on HIM. Just T'Challa running the gauntlet. No back up. No assists.
    Anytime you go on a killing spree of real characters, you're basically asking to have your story reversed. The only way to really increase the odds if a death sticking is if you create a character for the purpose of being killed. Stay completely in your own bubble, and you can do your own thing.
    Last edited by XPac; 07-02-2020 at 11:28 AM.

I'm trying to remember the name of one of the Black panther movie suit actors (or fight choreographers). All I remember about him is him being Afro-Latino and a martial artist. Ring a bell for anyone please?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm trying to remember the name of one of the Black panther movie suit actors (or fight choreographers). All I remember about him is him being Afro-Latino and a martial artist. Ring a bell for anyone please?
    Gui DaSilva-Greene was Chadwick Boseman's stunt double in Captain America Civil War. Meanwhile, Daniel Graham was chosen as the stunt double in Black Panther.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Anytime you go on a killing spree of real characters, you're basically asking to have your story reversed. The only way to really increase the odds if a death sticking is if you create a character for the purpose of being killed. Stay completely in your own bubble, and you can do your own thing.
    To some degree, that risk is always there. If you create a great character in a great story, that coffin ain't stayin' shut. Elektra, and (over at The Distinguished Competition) The Joker were both created with a dirtnap for their third act. Neither stuck.

Astonishing Member

This. Let all that Hickman bullshit stay in the mid-2010's and actually tell innovative stories. Self-contained stories that build on ORIGINAL concepts within the Black Panther mythos should be the priority. Vibranium mutates, the War Dogs, other (non-Heliopolitan) gods, etc. Why people are so eager to see T'Challa go up against irrelevant ass characters with little connection to his world is beyond me. It just perpetuates eternal rivalries with characters he shouldn't be defined by. I don't care about the Black Order or Namor. Give me a revamped Moses Magnum and another political thriller with Achebe and you'd have done good by the character.

And Shuri shouldn't even be part of the conversation as anything more than a side character. It's not a buddy cop adventure, it's Black Panther, and there's only one. If we're talking about who should be his primary supporting character, that shouldn't even go to Shuri, but instead a genuine love interest, which after close to 10 years since his divorce he still doesn't have. That's more concerning to the long term health of the franchise than what role (if any) Shuri has in the books.