Page 340 of 750 FirstFirst ... 240290330336337338339340341342343344350390440 ... LastLast
Results 5,086 to 5,100 of 11243

Was Tchalla present when the Star Sword was being explained? Or did he interact with it in another book?

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Yes, but I don't remember their suits doing anything other than being white tbh. I don't remember any cloaking or anything

About the empyre thing... can't believe that is the art for a big event. Who was the artist? yeesh

I don't even think the MU spears shoot tank busting lasers. I think they are just sharp sticks.

Editor: The battle will take place in Wakanda... home to any tech you can make up thanks to being the most advanced technological place on earth that is a military powerhouse. Artist and Writers... you can make up whatever you want! Writers think of some crazy ****. Artist... draw something nuts!

Writers: can you draw some spears?

Artist: whoa thats nuts, how bout one clear spear and a bunch of fuzzy spears?

Writers: awesome

Editors: yeah good enough

All I care about is T'challa not dying and doing something with that sword. Please don't die. You die the first time and then it is easier for writes to kill you off again.
    MoS, dude while you do attempt to inject humor into this, I truly believe that this was the conversation within 97 percent accuracy. How much more lazy and trash that you literally use the movie?? I don't think it's cool, or cute. These guys are paid for their supposed creative skills, and this what we doing?? This looks close to what might some African armies now, exchange spears for m16's. Side note, I believe Priest, and in a Spiderman issue the HZ had the bulletproof, and cloaking abilities to their suits.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    MoS, dude while you do attempt to inject humor into this, I truly believe that this was the conversation within 97 percent accuracy. How much more lazy and trash that you literally use the movie?? I don't think it's cool, or cute. These guys are paid for their supposed creative skills, and this what we doing?? This looks close to what might some African armies now, exchange spears for m16's. Side note, I believe Priest, and in a Spiderman issue the HZ had the bulletproof, and cloaking abilities to their suits.
    The movie synergy doesn't even bother me anymore. It's here to stay and I've accepted it. I just wish they'd admit it is all instead of calling us crazy and saying it's not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    No, it's pure laziness. Straight up. You can make a chess game interesting if you have the creativity and make it dynamic. Hardly an excuse to show the most advanced nation on earth look so poorly. Especially then when you have the enemy easily bypass their defense like it's nothing
    You can argue it's lazy... but sadly it's also sort of normal. In Hudlins run for example, when Morlun invaded aside from a couple of missles the last line of defense for Shuri was 2 guys carrying spears. Not even fancy high tech spears... just spears. Why Wakabi and Zuri thought spears would work when missiles didn't I don't know, but the point being the most advanced civilization on earth seems pretty fond of using spears for whatever reason. Even against gods. You can argue it's lazy and doesn't make sense... but it's in-character to write Wakandans that way even under what many consider the most iconic BP writers. If Hudlin will have them fight with spears in the BP book, we can only expect so much from a non BP writer in an event book.

It's kind of like a Superman fans complaining why doesn't Superman fight with superspeed 99% of the time? It's lazy and it doesn't make sense... but after a couple DECADES you just have to understand that this is how Superman is written even if it's kinda stupid.
    Last edited by XPac; 07-30-2020 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Black Panther has no fanatics at the higher levels of Marvel. No one there grew up liking the character like they loved F4, Cap, Thor, Peter, X-Men, IM, Hulk. At best, you get professionals who do their job to the best of their ability before they move on.

Hudlin was the last writer who genuinely liked the character. And you can tell. McGregor seemed to love the character and you can tell by how much thought he put into the mythos.

It will probably take like 20 years after the movie for someone who loves BP to end up working at Marvel. The movie likely created a ton more new, young fans who happen to like creative writing/art and graphic novels and might end up in the industry. Maybe. Might.

Because the comics aren't creating new young BP fans lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The movie synergy doesn't even bother me anymore. It's here to stay and I've accepted it. I just wish they'd admit it is all instead of calling us crazy and saying it's not happening.
    IDK if it is even "movie synergy" anymore or just pure laziness.

I mean ****, what mythical "new fan" is going to by empyre 3 and go, "yes that is from the movie, im a comic fan now!!!"

I don't even hate movie synergy. I like yibambe. The force field in the MCU is powerful as hell. But I mean... put some of your own effort into it? integrate don't replace.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Are people at marvel actually calling comic readers crazy for this? That doesn't seem very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    You can argue it's lazy... but sadly it's also sort of normal. In Hudlins run for example, when Morlun invaded aside from a couple of missles the last line of defense for Shuri was 2 guys carrying spears. Not even fancy high tech spears... just spears. Why Wakabi and Zuri thought spears would work when missiles didn't I don't know, but the point being the most advanced civilization on earth seems pretty fond of using spears for whatever reason. Even against gods. You can argue it's lazy and doesn't make sense... but it's in-character to write Wakandans that way even under what many consider the most iconic BP writers. If Hudlin will have them fight with spears in the BP book, we can only expect so much from a non BP writer in an event book.

It's kind of like a Superman fans complaining why doesn't Superman fight with superspeed 99% of the time? It's lazy and it doesn't make sense... but after a couple DECADES you just have to understand that this is how Superman is written even if it's kinda stupid.
    They at least tried the advanced stuff first. If their nuclear tipped missiles didnt work, might as well go out the traditional way. In Secret Empire, they turned the tech off on purpose to do hand to hand.

Even in the movie, the planes can be see flying in the background.

Schwarzenegger had machine guns and claymores, but beat a Predator with a bow and arrow and a large log
    Last edited by Cville; 07-30-2020 at 06:27 AM.

you mean Secret Invasion. That was just a plot device to throw hands. You let it go because that was really the only instance and it was a cool showing ignoring the low tech.

However, what it's turned into since the MCU films is getting out of hand. Give people some blasters and artillery at least.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    you mean Secret Invasion. That was just a plot device to throw hands. You let it go because that was really the only instance and it was a cool showing ignoring the low tech.

However, what it's turned into since the MCU films is getting out of hand. Give people some blasters and artillery at least.
    Thanks, my fault, Secret Empire used some tech. The planes were shooting down Hydra ships.

Even the movie had battle armor and robots panther concept art. So the producers were at least considering it. Lol

Astonishing Member

Black Panther has no fanatics at the higher levels of Marvel. No one there grew up liking the character like they loved F4, Cap, Thor, Peter, X-Men, IM, Hulk. At best, you get professionals who do their job to the best of their ability before they move on.

Hudlin was the last writer who genuinely liked the character. And you can tell. McGregor seemed to love the character and you can tell by how much thought he put into the mythos.

It will probably take like 20 years after the movie for someone who loves BP to end up working at Marvel. The movie likely created a ton more new, young fans who happen to like creative writing/art and graphic novels and might end up in the industry. Maybe. Might.

Because the comics aren't creating new young BP fans lol.
    To be entirely fair though, this has been a thing since the beginning of T'Challa's publication history. Wakanda is an African nation untouched by foreign influence with super advanced tech. It's hard for writers (and fans especially) to wrap their head around that idea so you get awkward stuff like laser spears and a total lack of artillery. That goes back to the days of Kirby and Mcgregor.

Only a handful of writers have gotten the right ratio of traditional and modern. Like XPac said, part of it is the cinematic aspect of having large armies fight hand to hand. Atlantis and to a lesser degree Attilan get the same treatment (though they're superhumans so it's more justifiable). But the other part is this implicit idea that guns and conventional warfare tactics are inherently un-African and thus Wakanda would never use them.

And you're completely right that it would take someone with a deep understanding of the character to commit to those hyper-advanced portrayals. It's lazy and a bit reductive for Wakanda's military to only ever be shown with spears and light armor. The MCU has an excuse because that's a Wakanda that will be upgraded in later films, but the comics should demonstrate the full range of Wakanda's power with a seamless mixture of old and new every time it appears.

Are people at marvel actually calling comic readers crazy for this? That doesn't seem very cool.
    It mostly happened during the Inhuman push, it was a blatant, cynical attempt to replace the mutants, anyone could see that, but Marvel pretended that wasn't the case. I like the inhumans too, War of Kings was one of the best events Marvel's done in the last 20 years.

Yes, but I don't remember their suits doing anything other than being white tbh. I don't remember any cloaking or anything

About the empyre thing... can't believe that is the art for a big event. Who was the artist? yeesh

I don't even think the MU spears shoot tank busting lasers. I think they are just sharp sticks.

Editor: The battle will take place in Wakanda... home to any tech you can make up thanks to being the most advanced technological place on earth that is a military powerhouse. Artist and Writers... you can make up whatever you want! Writers think of some crazy ****. Artist... draw something nuts!

Writers: can you draw some spears?

Artist: whoa thats nuts, how bout one clear spear and a bunch of fuzzy spears?

Writers: awesome

Editors: yeah good enough

All I care about is T'challa not dying and doing something with that sword. Please don't die. You die the first time and then it is easier for writes to kill you off again.
    Yeah i just read empyre. I stand by my earlier posts. Lazy writer's abd uncreative artists produce boring set pieces and fans should not try and excuse the poor art trying to claim it doesn't translate well on paper.

No reason we couldn't of seen some war ships or tanks or prowlers. Hickman did it in tro when Wakanda blew away BD planetary space ships curb stomped Atlantis. It's really not hard to show off this stuff in a splash page in the background..

Hell what they are doing should be the equivalent of starwars showing all their battles coming down to using space sticks, abd before anyone argues about the Jedis weapon choice, atleast they also have the force to bolster and make up for the lack of range. Marvel should feel bad about this poor showing of Wakanda

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    They at least tried the advanced stuff first. If their nuclear tipped missiles didnt work, might as well go out the traditional way. In Secret Empire, they turned the tech off on purpose to do hand to hand.

Even in the movie, the planes can be see flying in the background.

Schwarzenegger had machine guns and claymores, but beat a Predator with a bow and arrow and a large log
    I believe we're getting a giant Panther megazord, so we'll likely get some tech here too.

But the default backbone does seem to be spears for whatever reason.

That's different because we saw the tech being used atleast, so I would hardly call that the sane thing. Here, they aren't wcen bothering. It's bot a panel or a word bubble talking about using tech, it's them standing with spears.

Again you can make dynamic scenes and showing Carnage and the heat of battle with tanks and everything else on the the mix. Stop excusing poor art and bad writing. It's not just how it is, it's laziness and it needs to stop. Otherwise what's the point of having Wakanda be the most advanced nation on earth if all they do is use spears?

Priest and Hudlin had then using both h2h weapons and tech. In WitBP we saw wakandan ships, when killmonger invades we saw wakandans using guns. Priest had N'Yami motherships and prowlers, Hudlin had prowlers kill Tony and some type of ship, possibly N'Yami mothership kill Doom in the BP annuals.. So tell me again where this whole only spears thing is somehow the norm?? Cause it's not. Even Doom war for had them using advanced tech.

Using h2h only in this event is the excuse to make it easier for the cotati to win whole claiming "OMG even Wakanda couldn't beat them!!"