Page 432 of 750 FirstFirst ... 332382422428429430431432433434435436442482532 ... LastLast
Results 6,466 to 6,480 of 11243

I mean, I'll just be blunt. Outside of any agendas...

If they announced Shuri is taking over for T'challa, then BP2 immediately becomes just another MCU movie to me. Which means I"ll be there opening day, I'll buy the home media purchase... but you won't see be at the theater 4x (unless it was magically epic) and I ain't gonna start buying shirts with Shuri on it. Or hang Shuri posters in the gym. It just won't happen.

I'm in this for T'challa, the Black Panther. the BP mythos are his. HE is the Black Panther.

Okoye, Shuri, Nakia, M'baku, W'kabi, and such are cool, great supporting character. Awesome supporting characters. Really elevated the first solo.

But they are just that to me... support.

BP2 without T'challa is like a step above Eternals for me in regards to excitement. I'd be much more excited about Thor 4, Shang, DS2, Blade, GoG3, and maybe even CM2.

Just being honest. I've always said i am a T'challa fan though.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    None of these ideas are fun to me.
    If they don't recast the role and kill off Tchalla you understand that that affects all other mediums right?
    So are you going to start buying shuri Comics now? Killmonger as the Black Panther comics? Nakia comics? Okoye as the main character comics?

Help me if I'm confused but who's franchises this?
    God forbid but if the guy who plays Spider-Man died would you be clamoring for Mary Jane to become the new Spider-Man? If Batman would you be clamoring for Jim Gordon or Batgirl to be the lead of all future movies?

This conversation makes absolutely no sense to me.there's really only one logical thing to do when the franchise is based around one single character.
    Though I do think the MCU effects the comics to SOME degree, we still have Iron Man, Captain America, and Black Widow in the comics despite their fates in End Game and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Movies are an evolving media, but comics aren't... for better or for worse, the people we have today are exactly the people we will have 100 years from now. No one truelly dies or retires or walks off into the sunset. So IF the movies shift focus to another character yes that character might get more focus BUT legacy characters in comics never actually replace the originals.

But movies are different. Things can actually evolve. We CAN see characters like Thor and Steve Rogers and Tony Stark pass the torch to other heroes. In fact I dare say that's slowly what's happening to all the orginal Avengers. I suppose that can be jarring if you come from a comic background where this sort of thing doesn't stick, but in some ways I think it's actually refreshing to have stories with a beginning and an end. Whether T'Challa falls into that category remains to be seen... that's obviously up to Coogler.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

If they announced Shuri is taking over for T'challa, then BP2 immediately becomes just another MCU movie to me. Which means I"ll be there opening day, I'll buy the home media purchase... but you won't see be at the theater 4x (unless it was magically epic) and I ain't gonna start buying shirts with Shuri on it. Or hang Shuri posters in the gym. It just won't happen.

I'm in this for T'challa, the Black Panther. the BP mythos are his. HE is the Black Panther.

Okoye, Shuri, Nakia, M'baku, W'kabi, and such are cool, great supporting character. Awesome supporting characters. Really elevated the first solo.

BP2 without T'challa is like a step above Eternals for me in regards to excitement. I'd be much more excited about Thor 4, Shang, DS2, Blade, GoG3, and maybe even CM2.

Really, I just think you're echoing the thoughts of a lot of people.

Too many of us have grown up with T'Challa as BP, even before there was a Shuri. I'd give the movie support but I can't lie, I won't have the same optimism as I have for T'Challa.

I've bought about 8 BP action figures and 2 statues and none of them are Shuri. This doesn't mean I dislike Shuri or that I don't think she has a future as a possible BP. She's a great and viable character just on her own merits as Shuri.

Like you said, I honestly just don't want to se that happen now. I want the role of T'Challa recast and him as BP in the movie.

People can think what they want and make all kinds of baseless accusations but that's just how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    If Tom died, I'd push for live Miles to replace him,
    And we all know what kind of pushback that would get

Co-signed.
    I'm not a fan of Tchalla just because he's black. I'm not going to be happy just because I get more black representation that completely ignores marvel lore. I'm a fan of t'challa because of everything he is and everything he made wakanda. I'm happy to see his supporting cast flourish because it elevates him. But I'm not going to keep showing up just because Marvel decides to give as much effort as UPN did back in the day.

This right here. I would watch it, but I wouldn't make it a point to see it in theaters ASAP like I did with BP. I also just wouldn't feel that it felt as genuine to me because I think that passing the torch before T'Challa even has the chance to have an arc is incredibly criminal and would just reinforce the constant need to essentially say to little black boys, "move aside and stand on the sidelines" you want black boys to be respectful? Give then a strong male role model to emulate and look up to and strive to be like. Its not to say that they can't be inspired by a female black hero, but it won't be the same, and also it's Not. Her. Mythos. To. Takeover.. not before T'Challa gets his arc

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I mean the effects aren't going to be immediate, the movie came out just 2 years ago. Though as of late I think there has been some movement. Fantasy and sci-fi books prominently featuring POC are at various stages of discussion regarding live action adaptations or have been outright confirmed. The Green Bone Saga, focusing on a completely East Asian cast is being adapted to TV. Children of Blood and Bone, one of the biggest fantasy YA books in recent memory, is based all around pre-colonial Nigerian culture and getting an adaptation by Lucasfilm.

The author of Rage of Dragons, a critically acclaimed military fantasy series inspired by South Africa, has stated he's in talks with numerous studios for an adaptation of his works. Binti by Nnedi Okorafor is getting a Hulu series while Wild Seed by the supremely talented Octavia Butler is getting an adaptation by Viola Davis working with Amazon.

And funny enough, all of these projects but Rage of Dragons feature a female lead. Though Black Leopard, Red Wolf (inspired by Sahelian and Ethiopian medieval cultures) had its adaptation rights purchased by Michael B Jordan himself and as such also has a lot of potential (and actually features a bisexual male lead). It's impossible to say how much Black Panther's world shaking success had to do with these projects getting the time of day, but I do think it played a role, even if small.
    Rights have been purchased which is outstanding for the writers of color and we will see if they actually get made. This is even more true in this Covid era. And it is interesting that most of the projects do not have a male protagonist. I wonder if that’s just a coincidence?

Spectacular Member

Can't wait for Shuri to be Black panther. That would be a great way to respectful to Chadwick

Question for the gang:

Let's assume BP2 was done and finished and was due out right now.

Would you pay $29.99 + a D+ subscription to watch it?

Or would you wait until it was free on D+ in December?

Or buy the media eventually?

Or would you prefer it wsa pushed back until theaters are "normal?"

aka... assume the movie was Black Panther 2 instead of Black Widow and was ready to go this second. Would you pay for it Mulan style or wait or wish it would be pushed by Wonder Woman style?

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I'd probably end up paying that $29.99

Question for the gang:

aka... assume the movie was Black Panther 2 instead of Black Widow and was ready to go this second. Would you pay for it Mulan style or wait or wish it would be pushed by Wonder Woman style?
    I'd probably end up paying for it, but cursing myself the whole time. lol

I hold the Disney+ account and my friend wants to buy Mulan. I told him it was crazy before they announced the December free release. But if you got a family who would have gone to the movies anyway, its a good deal.

Years ago my area had one of those $1 theaters. I never went to the movies until it got released there. lol

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

As a counter to MoS's point...I'm a fan of T'Challa and Black Panther...but I'm also a huge fan of the world and mythos and characters of Wakanda as a whole. For me one doesn't exist without the other, not successfully.
    It's always a little baffling to me how someone could love to the point of obsession one X-Men character but completely disregard the X-Men as whole (just as an example). I understand my "fan-thinking" is probably in the minority but still...
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    As a counter to MoS's point...I'm a fan of T'Challa and Black Panther...but I'm also a huge fan of the world and mythos and characters of Wakanda as a whole. For me one doesn't exist without the other, not successfully.
    It's always a little baffling to me how someone could love to the point of obsession one X-Men character but completely disregard the X-Men as whole (just as an example). I understand my "fan-thinking" is probably in the minority but still...
    Difference between X-Men and Black Panther is that X-Men is a team book. It is designed that way. All those characters are generally enhanced and each theoretically can have their own book or arc focused on them.

Storm wasn't created to support Cyclops for example. Wolverine wasn't created to support Iceman.

Shuri/Okoye/Nakia/Zuri/T'chaka/Ramunda/Hunter/ect were all directly created to enhance and support T'challa's story.

No different than say... Spider-Man and Mary Jane/Jonah/Gwen/ect

I mean, I am a fan of the Mythos and the "world." But that world crumbles without T'challa. IMO of course.

There are many in this thread that are more "Team Wakanda" vs "Team T'challa." Which is fine, but I am not one of them.

Question for the gang:

I'd end up paying the money.

It would be too hard to stay spoiler free for 3 months.