Page 459 of 750 FirstFirst ... 359409449455456457458459460461462463469509559 ... LastLast
Results 6,871 to 6,885 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Captain Marvel, Aquaman and Joker made a billion too. I wont say with 100% certainty that Coogler can't pull it off without the Tchalla character ... but I also won't assume he will fail until he fails. Again, he's earned the benefit of the doubt in my book at least.
    Yes and I bet you of Brie, or Jason M passed today you better believe they would recast the actors and not pass the torch to other characters. I don't doubt the movie will be successful.. however, I don't think it's success was based on supporting cast characters at all it was built around showing positive images of a black hero who wasn't from the ghetto, wasn't chalk full of racial stereotypes, and there was respect between black men and women and no dysfunction that most black led shows or movies prey on. And the title character was shown as capable, powerful and a good man

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I like the posture and the use of the color. But I don’t think I’m feeling the mask.
    Yeah most people don't feel the Panther face but personally I prefer it over the Shadow with eyeballs because it gives him actual definition and doesn't feel lazy like most artist

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yes and I bet you of Brie, or Jason M passed today you better believe they would recast the actors and not pass the torch to other characters. I don't doubt the movie will be successful.. however, I don't think it's success was based on supporting cast characters at all it was built around showing positive images of a black hero who wasn't from the ghetto, wasn't chalk full of racial stereotypes, and there was respect between black men and women and no dysfunction that most black led shows or movies prey on. And the title character was shown as capable, powerful and a good man
    Aquaman would definitely be recast. There's no Aqualad in sight.

Captain Marvel probably would too... BUT Monica Rambeau was set up as a potential legacy character and she does appear to be showing up in Wanda Vision. Depending on how well Spectrum (or whatever she's calling herself) is received, I think it's possible there would be some discussion over passing the franchise onto her. And frankly I think there should be.

I think they are intelligently setting up pretty much everyone to have a legacy character who can in theory take over. When exactly they do is obviously up to Feige.

If Hudlin had decided not to give him armor, I would agree with you. If Priests run has it stated that he doesn't need armor then don't give him armor.

But once he's retconned to using armor, then they need to differentiate it from his regular gear so that there's actually a point to it.
    "There was a time when I thought that enhancing the habit was a viable tactic, but I discovered it was too limiting."

Done.

NEXT!

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    "There was a time when I thought that enhancing the habit was a viable tactic, but I discovered it was too limiting."

Done.

NEXT!
    He's been enhancing the habit the entire time from Priest onward. It wouldn't make sense for him to decide one day that enhancing it wasn6a viable tactic.

I don't necessarily disagree with him having a more minimalist approach as a matter of personal preference, but I think that ship has kinda sailed.

But maybe the next BP writer will feel different. Hudlin scaled back on the habit from Priest, so could happen again.

Aquaman would definitely be recast. There's no Aqualad in sight.

Captain Marvel probably would too... BUT Monica Rambeau was set up as a potential legacy character and she does appear to be showing up in Wanda Vision. Depending on how well Spectrum (or whatever she's calling herself) is received, I think it's possible there would be some discussion over passing the franchise onto her. And frankly I think there should be.

I think they are intelligently setting up pretty much everyone to have a legacy character who can in theory take over. When exactly they do is obviously up to Feige.
    one that call would be way weaker then what we are seeing with T'Challa, and two I bet she wouldn't be recast simply because her story isn't done. They would replace her, tell her story to completion, then pass it on. As it should be. A character should not be halted in their character arc and progression because the actor passes. Especially when it's very early in said characters story and career. Its a Very simple concept that I don't understand why it's so hard to understand. Yes they could replace him with Shuri, but that requires a mountain load of retcon changing and is a disservice to the title character. Black panther is T'Challa. Just because it's a mantle in the retcon from Hudlin does not erase the fact he has been BP for 50+ year's and finally got his debut on the silver screen and it's immediately followed by calls to replace him with a character who has been around for 15 years and held the title for 6... Hardly a fair trade and not how you push the legacy character forward especially when they arent set up to even take the mantle

Ultimate Member

He's been enhancing the habit the entire time from Priest onward. It wouldn't make sense for him to decide one day that enhancing it wasn6a viable tactic.

I don't necessarily disagree with him having a more minimalist approach as a matter of personal preference, but I think that ship has kinda sailed.

But maybe the next BP writer will feel different. Hudlin scaled back on the habit from Priest, so could happen again.
    Except he really hasn't.

Under Priest he had some equipment. Then that was largely ignored, until Hickman added a few energy weapons and then finally Coates with the force push.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Except he really hasn't.

Under Priest he had some equipment. Then that was largely ignored, until Hickman added a few energy weapons and then finally Coates with the force push.
    Priest added energy daggers and a vibranium weave, which Hudlin mostly ignored. Hickman added camouflage, a force field, and giant purple gloves, which Coates completely ignored. Coates added force push.

He was clearly always adding and removing elements to the suit. I assume the movie will sort of define what's standard in comics from this point onward ... but obviously the comics don't have to follow its lead. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Except he really hasn't.

Right, he's basically upgrades the suits' offensive and defensive capabilities, not made multiple suits for a variety of occasions.

But don't you realize? It's the job of the new writer to address every story of the past, look for things that are wrong, and fix them!

Don't worry about moving the character forward, as long as you make sure every single trivial detail is officially recognized, embraced, and taken into account!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Right, he's basically upgrades the suits' offensive and defensive capabilities, not made multiple suits for a variety of occasions.
    Yeah, but DigiCom was arguing Tchalla should come to the conclusion that enhancing the habit wasn't a viable tactic because it's too limiting. Upgrading the suits offensive and defensive capabilities is still enhancing the habit.

Yeah, but DigiCom was arguing Tchalla should come to the conclusion that enhancing the habit wasn't a viable tactic because it's too limiting. Upgrading the suits offensive and defensive capabilities is still enhancing the habit.
    No, I'm explaining how easy it is to address why he doesn't have multiple suits of armor. Not everything needs to be handled in a complicated story. Sometimes "tried it, didn't like it" is enough.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    one that call would be way weaker then what we are seeing with T'Challa, and two I bet she wouldn't be recast simply because her story isn't done. They would replace her, tell her story to completion, then pass it on. As it should be. A character should not be halted in their character arc and progression because the actor passes. Especially when it's very early in said characters story and career. Its a Very simple concept that I don't understand why it's so hard to understand. Yes they could replace him with Shuri, but that requires a mountain load of retcon changing and is a disservice to the title character. Black panther is T'Challa. Just because it's a mantle in the retcon from Hudlin does not erase the fact he has been BP for 50+ year's and finally got his debut on the silver screen and it's immediately followed by calls to replace him with a character who has been around for 15 years and held the title for 6... Hardly a fair trade and not how you push the legacy character forward especially when they arent set up to even take the mantle
    Yea at face value I just think it's unfair. And because I'm consistent I'll also say it's unfair no matter which character we were discussing. It'd be wrong if Tom Holland passed between Spider-Man 1 and 2 to replace him with Miles Morales. Or if Jason Mamoa died they up and replaced him with Ocean Master. Or to replace RDJ with War Machine less than halfway into his trilogy.

The original mantle holders deserve their time in the sun. We're living in an unprecedented age of comic adaptations and while it's fair to assume that these movies and shows will always be made, to deprive Marvel's first major black male superhero of a chance to shine during this golden age of superhero cinema is a missed opportunity.

T'Challa is the guy that first appeared in 1966 and introduced readers to the world of Wakanda and the way he explores and grapples with that world deserves a decade-long arc the way Iron Man and Cap did. It'd be profoundly wrong for a character who only had the mantle for 6 years to monopolize the franchise and become it's face when the originator (whose remained relevant in the comics since then) is denied that opportunity due to tragic real world circumstances.

And as you said in an earlier post, this almost definitely won't stop here. Because T'Challa will have been reduced to a footnote in the MCU journey of Shuri, it's only a matter of time before people start demanding she take T'Challa's place on game rosters and animated projects. When the MCU inevitably reboots people would've spent close to a decade with Shuri and are gonna demand she headline the BP films AGAIN instead of T'Challa. This is a crucial moment in time for these characters and displacing T'Challa in favor of Shuri and worse yet, taking elements of his story and grafting them onto her, will do harm long term to the coherence and stability of the franchise across all mediums.

That's not to say Coogler won't do a good Shuri film if he decides to do one. But I can't help but think T'Challa won't suffer in some way long term if Shuri gets the mantle for a decade and across several films.

No, his point was there was no need to create multiple suits when I can incorporate what I need into what I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    But don't you realize? It's the job of the new writer to address every story of the past, look for things that are wrong, and fix them!

Don't worry about moving the character forward, as long as you make sure every single trivial detail is officially recognized, embraced, and taken into account!
    Since previous writers ignored their predecessors obviously it's an option. I'd personally prefer it if his gear was a bit more streamlined and standardized ... but that's just me. Again, writers can do what they want.