Page 504 of 750 FirstFirst ... 4404454494500501502503504505506507508514554604 ... LastLast
Results 7,546 to 7,560 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If Wakanda was in bad shape then yes it would make him look bad to just leave. IF they went that route, I'd assume Wakanda would have to be in good shape to the point where he didn't need to worry about it. And again, that's up to Coogler. He can choose to decide what shape Wakanda is in and how much the snap effected it. It can be a big deal, or it can be hand waved away, like we got in Spider-Man for the most part. The next BP movie likely be a couple years after End Game, so it gives Coogler the space to do whatever the heck he needs.
    again
    you think T'Challa would just be like "alright guys I did my part peace" what kinda ass hole would he have to be to change million year old tradition and then peace out when consequences occur? No regardless of the shape that's an ******* move.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Working on a couple of BP drawings. Hope to post them soon.
    I too have one I am working on. I was thinking about working on it today and maybe finishing as I am currently quarantined from work until I get a release back

Astonishing Member

The biggest upside to Priest deciding that BP's gods were the egyptian gods (something at the time I had mixed feelings over) was that we got a MK/BP cross over. They were my 2 visually favorite super heroes... I always loved both their costumes. So seeing them team up was a treat. I get why it doesn't happen often since MK typically operates more on the street level... but it was still cool. And it's nice to see it happen again.

As for T'Challa's closest friends... prior to Hickmans run, I would have said Steve. But I think New Avengers made it clear that it's Reed. Obviously he's close to Storm. Those 3 are probably the only ones I would say he considers CLOSE friends. He's on good terms with a lot of other heroes... Sam, Cage, Eden, Stark, etc. But not to the degree that I think he necessarily would be willing to open himself up if he needed a friend to confide in or anything like that. Heck, I probably wouldn't have even put Reed on the list if Hickman didn't make a point of him and T'Challa being brothers.

As for who I'd like to see him interact with more... Blue Marvel is pretty high on that list. They sort of have a marvel worlds finest vibe about them. Deadpool and BP were gold... would love to see more of that. And this is a controversial one that I'm sure people will disagree with... but Namor and Doom. I liked the alliance that the 3 kings of the MU had back in the day. Priest didn't do much with it, but it was cool in theory. Would be fun to see some interaction with the 3 of them again.
    Hell I still have mixed feelings about the Egyptian gods thing but I can't deny that Moon Knight team-up was lots of fun. I'm not even a huge fan of MK like that but I think they should interact more, if only because their gods know each other. I see there being lots of shared lore between them if a writer wanted to explore it for an arc.

Reed and Steve are at the top of my list too. I think they represent two sides of T'Challa himself. Reed imo is living the life T'Challa would want if he didn't have to worry about the throne. Like if he could be any hero for a week he'd be Mr. Fantastic. He's a pure adventurer, always enthralled in new discoveries, has a great family, etc. These are all things I think T'Challa highly respects. For his part I think Mr. Fantastic just thinks T'Challa is cool to be around lol. He's a king from this ancient civilization, with an advanced scientific mind of his own and similar values about the nature of the world. If Reed could be any hero, I honestly think T'Challa would be one of his first picks. There's a certain duality between this lanky, nerdy white dude living his best life and this hyper-masculine black king bonding over their mutual love of science and progress. That the Fantastic Four were also the first to really expose T'Challa to the world of superheroes and Wakanda is one of the most unique places Reed has ever visited I think makes their dynamic even more compelling.

And where Reed represents the scientific, enlightened side of T'Challa, I think Steve represents the warrior aspect. By all accounts these two should hate each other lol. T'Challa is the king of this deeply xenophobic black civilization that's only seen the worst sides of the Western world. Steve is the literal champion of the biggest Western power, one that's committed some of the worst atrocities in human history. But they buck the expectations of their respective societies to be better than their fellow citizens. Steve represents the American ideal of democracy and peace through strength, T'Challa represents Wakanda's ideals of societal perseverance and spirituality. The way they go about advancing those ideals keeps them at constant odds with their people but it lets them understand the pressures of being icons.

Steve existing I think confirms for T'Challa that the world outside Wakanda is worth saving and that America isn't 100% this evil empire. T'Challa's willingness to be the type of king that he is despite the blowback from his people I think gives Steve the impression there's great men all across the world and that whatever superficial disagreement they may have, Wakanda and civilizations like it can be trusted allies and friends. Other good friends include Luke Cage, who I think hits similar points as Captain America, except from the perspective of a marginalized black man, and Eden, who despite my issues with his inclusion, has been around for damn near 5 years and is dating T'Challa's sister.

In terms of characters I'd like to see T'Challa interact more with I'd say Black Bolt is my first choice. They're arguably the most heroic of the super-kings of the MU and I think it's interesting that Black Bolt has been the "big gun" in T'Challa's arsenal on multiple occasions, whether it be when he blasted Apocalypse or helped him take out Namor. I like to think their civilizations have low-key interacted in the deep past and it'd be nice to see that explored. You also have the Inhuman diaspora to serve as a launching point for cool interactions, like Nuhumans cropping up in Wakanda or T'Challa finally stumbles upon the ancient city-state of Utolan, Mozambique. I think they have similar viewpoints about the nature of their roles as kings, even though T'Challa's a bit more willing to explore and be a hero.

Another cool character would be Brother Voodoo. Going back to the Priest days these two have interacted pretty positively and I think there's still hope he can be part of T'Challa's extended supporting cast. You got the obvious duality of magic and technology but I also think that Voodoo, as a former Sorcerer Supreme, has the type of skills to be the primary magic user in T'Challa's roster of allies. They also seem to mesh well in terms of personality and I think it'd be fun if Voodoo married a Wakandan priestess of sorts for cool magical comparisons and stuff between Wakanda, the rest of Africa, and the Caribbean. Cuz this thing he has with Scarlet Witch ain't doing it for me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    again
    you think T'Challa would just be like "alright guys I did my part peace" what kinda ass hole would he have to be to change million year old tradition and then peace out when consequences occur? No regardless of the shape that's an ******* move.
    It would o ly be an ******* move if he was actually needed. If Wakanda was fine, then it wouldn't matter. And the transition is as easy or as hard as Coogler needs it to be.

Incredible Member

Didn't he do the exact same thing in the comic books? After a coup, he destroyed Wakanda's processed vibranium then left Shuri to clean up the mess while he went off to fight street crime in hells kitchen. For comic book fans, it's nothing we haven't seen before from him. And that was IMMEDIATELY after it happened in the comics. In the MCU Wakanda will have had years to recover.

Spider-Man far from home for the most part hand waved the issues away... the US and the rest of the world seemed okay. Wakanda in theory can be as well... or not, depending on how Coogler wants to handle it. We'll see.
    Right now the specifics of the comics are immaterial. The general overview is T'Challa's presence being needed in full blown glory on screen. THAT is the only priority as far as I'm concerned. Despite appearing in 4 films, his character has only been teased. We need to see his character explored and for him to complete his arc. His journey has just started and that's what I'm here for. No T'Challa = ZERO support or any kind of future investment in the MCU for me. That's just the way it is.

It would o ly be an ******* move if he was actually needed. If Wakanda was fine, then it wouldn't matter. And the transition is as easy or as hard as Coogler needs it to be.
    It's an ******* move either way because it was his decision to take Wakanda on that path and look what happened in the first 7 years of that change, no way is Wakanda doing fine without him in the events of EG. It was his decision and wad only 2 years into during IW. Highly unlikely that Wakanda was good when the entire world, Wakanda included was affected. That is t a logical argument that it would be cool at all of he just bowed out and left it to someone who isn't even prepared or shown interest to rule

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I think the simple question is this: Why does T'Challa have to die in the MCU?
    I don't know that he DOES have to die. Paul Walker's
    character in the Fast Franchise didn't.

The issue with recasting is that who would want the role under these circumstances?

The person doing the replacing is going to have to follow a critically acclaimed performance by a widely admired actor that tragically died in his most iconic role.

That's a big ask at this point.

If he is "somewhere else" they don't have to recast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

The issue with recasting is that who would want the role under these circumstances?

The person doing the replacing is going to have to follow a critically acclaimed performance by a widely admired actor that tragically died in his most iconic role.

The people who would want the role under these circumstances are the people who might want the chance to play an iconic character that is important to a lot of people because of what he represents, just like Chadwick wanted the chance to play the iconic character, and I don't think it's fair to any other black actor in Hollywood to close off that opportunity to them because of fear that the next actor won't line up to Chadwick's performance. Regardless of who would be recast in the role, they will never be like Chadwick, solely for the facts that every actor and actress is unique in how they portray characters.

Any potential actor who would want to play T'Challa after Chadwick might also want to carry on/continue what he started: giving people a character that is inspirational.

I don't think it's a big request at all. And I think it's extremely dangerous and a bit close-minded for us as fans to think that NO ONE else on the planet could EVER portray a certain character as well as the way someone else did and therefore, the attempt should never be made. Fictional characters live on and can be portrayed by many different actors/actresses.

Also, why are we automatically assuming that any potential recasting of T'Challa would be "bad" in comparison to Chadwick's portrayal? What if there's an actor out there who portrays T'Challa in such a way that some fans might think he does a better job than Chadwick at playing both T'Challa and Black Panther? I mean, that scenario IS possible.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 09-29-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

It's somewhat similar in ways to Heath ledger.

It's an ******* move either way because it was his decision to take Wakanda on that path and look what happened in the first 7 years of that change, no way is Wakanda doing fine without him in the events of EG. It was his decision and wad only 2 years into during IW. Highly unlikely that Wakanda was good when the entire world, Wakanda included was affected. That is t a logical argument that it would be cool at all of he just bowed out and left it to someone who isn't even prepared or shown interest to rule
    Rest of the world seemed reasonably fine in Spiderman. Maybe Wakanda is worse off than everyone else ... that's up to Coogler. He'll tell the story he needs to tell.

I too have one I am working on. I was thinking about working on it today and maybe finishing as I am currently quarantined from work until I get a release back
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    The people who would want the role under these circumstances are the people who might want the chance to play an iconic character that is important to a lot of people because of what he represents, just like Chadwick wanted the chance to play the iconic character, and I don't think it's fair to any other black actor in Hollywood to close off that opportunity to them because of fear that the next actor won't line up to Chadwick's performance. Regardless of who would be recast in the role, they will never be like Chadwick, solely for the facts that every actor and actress is unique in how they portray characters.

Any potential actor who would want to play T'Challa after Chadwick might also want to carry on/continue what he started: giving people a character that is inspirational.

I don't think it's a big request at all. And I think it's extremely dangerous and a bit close-minded for us as fans to think that NO ONE else on the planet could EVER portray a certain character the way someone else did and therefore, the attempt should never be made. Fictional characters live on and can be portrayed by many different actors/actresses.

Also, why are we automatically assuming that any potential recasting of T'Challa would be "bad" in comparison to Chadwick's portrayal? What if there's an actor out there who portrays T'Challa in such a way that some fans might think he does a better job than Chadwick at playing both T'Challa and Black Panther? I mean, that scenario IS possible.
    I'm trying to step away from the debate but I agree with your post.

Rest of the world seemed reasonably fine in Spiderman. Maybe Wakanda is worse off than everyone else ... that's up to Coogler. He'll tell the story he needs to tell.
    I'm not talking about Spiderman, which takes place in a time jump, I'm talking about During EG which is what we were discussing and why it would be an ******* move for him to bow out

I'm not talking about Spiderman, which takes place in a time jump, I'm talking about During EG which is what we were discussing and why it would be an ******* move for him to bow out
    Spiderman takes place after End Game, and the US and the rest of the world seems to have recovered. BP2 comes out after that, so in theory Wakanda could be just fine. Even if it were messed up during End Game it doesn't mean it can't recover just like everyone else. But that's up to Coogler to decide.

Spiderman takes place after End Game, and the US and the rest of the world seems to have recovered. BP2 comes out after that, so in theory Wakanda could be just fine. Even if it were messed up during End Game it doesn't mean it can't recover just like everyone else. But that's up to Coogler to decide.
    I am talking about During the event's of EG Wakanda was likely is maybe a slightly better situation then the rest of the world, and if in Spiderman the rest of the world was good, and same with Wakanda, it would still be an ******* move for T'Challa to bow out after what had just happened months before.