Page 505 of 750 FirstFirst ... 5405455495501502503504505506507508509515555605 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,575 of 11243
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Hell I still have mixed feelings about the Egyptian gods thing but I can't deny that Moon Knight team-up was lots of fun. I'm not even a huge fan of MK like that but I think they should interact more, if only because their gods know each other. I see there being lots of shared lore between them if a writer wanted to explore it for an arc.

Reed and Steve are at the top of my list too. I think they represent two sides of T'Challa himself. Reed imo is living the life T'Challa would want if he didn't have to worry about the throne. Like if he could be any hero for a week he'd be Mr. Fantastic. He's a pure adventurer, always enthralled in new discoveries, has a great family, etc. These are all things I think T'Challa highly respects. For his part I think Mr. Fantastic just thinks T'Challa is cool to be around lol. He's a king from this ancient civilization, with an advanced scientific mind of his own and similar values about the nature of the world. If Reed could be any hero, I honestly think T'Challa would be one of his first picks. There's a certain duality between this lanky, nerdy white dude living his best life and this hyper-masculine black king bonding over their mutual love of science and progress. That the Fantastic Four were also the first to really expose T'Challa to the world of superheroes and Wakanda is one of the most unique places Reed has ever visited I think makes their dynamic even more compelling.

And where Reed represents the scientific, enlightened side of T'Challa, I think Steve represents the warrior aspect. By all accounts these two should hate each other lol. T'Challa is the king of this deeply xenophobic black civilization that's only seen the worst sides of the Western world. Steve is the literal champion of the biggest Western power, one that's committed some of the worst atrocities in human history. But they buck the expectations of their respective societies to be better than their fellow citizens. Steve represents the American ideal of democracy and peace through strength, T'Challa represents Wakanda's ideals of societal perseverance and spirituality. The way they go about advancing those ideals keeps them at constant odds with their people but it lets them understand the pressures of being icons.

Steve existing I think confirms for T'Challa that the world outside Wakanda is worth saving and that America isn't 100% this evil empire. T'Challa's willingness to be the type of king that he is despite the blowback from his people I think gives Steve the impression there's great men all across the world and that whatever superficial disagreement they may have, Wakanda and civilizations like it can be trusted allies and friends. Other good friends include Luke Cage, who I think hits similar points as Captain America, except from the perspective of a marginalized black man, and Eden, who despite my issues with his inclusion, has been around for damn near 5 years and is dating T'Challa's sister.

In terms of characters I'd like to see T'Challa interact more with I'd say Black Bolt is my first choice. They're arguably the most heroic of the super-kings of the MU and I think it's interesting that Black Bolt has been the "big gun" in T'Challa's arsenal on multiple occasions, whether it be when he blasted Apocalypse or helped him take out Namor. I like to think their civilizations have low-key interacted in the deep past and it'd be nice to see that explored. You also have the Inhuman diaspora to serve as a launching point for cool interactions, like Nuhumans cropping up in Wakanda or T'Challa finally stumbles upon the ancient city-state of Utolan, Mozambique. I think they have similar viewpoints about the nature of their roles as kings, even though T'Challa's a bit more willing to explore and be a hero.

Another cool character would be Brother Voodoo. Going back to the Priest days these two have interacted pretty positively and I think there's still hope he can be part of T'Challa's extended supporting cast. You got the obvious duality of magic and technology but I also think that Voodoo, as a former Sorcerer Supreme, has the type of skills to be the primary magic user in T'Challa's roster of allies. They also seem to mesh well in terms of personality and I think it'd be fun if Voodoo married a Wakandan priestess of sorts for cool magical comparisons and stuff between Wakanda, the rest of Africa, and the Caribbean. Cuz this thing he has with Scarlet Witch ain't doing it for me lol.
    That's a pretty good analysis of T'Challa's relationships with some of the greats of the wider Marvel Universe and how those relationships could be fleshed out and expanded upon.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Shuri? WWO

Emperor Shakka the 9th BP.
    The Incredible BP. Wu-Tang/Panther-Face symbol on his chest.

9 Panthers not one. BP fans do not fully understand African royalty. They only understand & support Euro( playing cards/ chess boards) adopted royalty.
    Last edited by Paul Muad'Dib; 09-29-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's a pretty good analysis of T'Challa's relationships with some of the greats of the wider Marvel Universe and how those relationships could be fleshed out and expanded upon.
    Thanks, what I like about T'Challa is that he can easily be a 6 degrees of separation type of character because of all the corners of the MU that he touches. He's actually a bit like Namor in that way. Longtime Avenger, close friend of the Fantastic Four, a king who rubs shoulders with rulers like Black Bolt and Doom, an ally of the X-Men through his marriage to a mutant and runs a kingdom some mutants call home, and as Wakanda gains a foothold in the cosmos, could interact with groups like the Guardians of the Galaxy. Dudes got connections to the espionage corner of the MU, the street-level side of things, and more. The BP mythos is insanely multifaceted and while I don't think T'Challa needs to have guest stars every other issue, I think it'd be a mistake to not have him form friendships and rivalries across the wider MU. T'Challa and Wakanda have a lot of utility in a lot of different types of stories.
    Last edited by chief12d; 09-29-2020 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Thanks, what I like about T'Challa is that he can easily be a 6 degrees of separation type of character because of all the corners of the MU that he touches. He's actually a bit like Namor in that way. Longtime Avenger, close friend of the Fantastic Four, a king who rubs shoulders with rulers like Black Bolt and Doom, an ally of the X-Men through his marriage to a mutant and runs a kingdom some mutants call home, and as Wakanda gains a foothold in the cosmos, could interact with groups like the Guardians of the Galaxy. Dudes got connections to the espionage corner of the MU, the street-level side of things, and more. The BP mythos is insanely multifaceted and while I don't think T'Challa needs to have guest stars every other issue, I think it'd be a mistake to not have him form friendships and rivalries across the wider MU. T'Challa and Wakanda have a lot of utility in a lot of different types of stories.
    I agree, though at this stage I would do a lot less Street level unless it was with Spiderman or Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yes fans want what they want, however, I do not think it's bad that fans of the character who have been fans since before some of us were even born, and have waited their entire life for this to happen, being told by some (many of whom are most likely casuals with very little stock in the character or franchise) telling them to sit down and let a support character take the reigns and just be cool with it's can you really blame people for not just rolling with that? Especially when that thing happens to alot of black male characters?
    Oh I don't blame them at all. Honestly I find the idea of replacing T'Challa with someone like Shuri kinda insulting (which isn't a statement on the character or actress, just the situation). I remember this old black man crying in the theater with this look of rapture on his face, opening weekend. That old guy probably didn't think he'd see a movie like BP in his lifetime and the idea of taking that away? Rubs me wrong. But I can see the other side of the argument too, even if I disagree with the "Shuri" argument here, black women have been waiting for their moment as well, yknow?

My main point here is that, right here on CBR, we're the diehards. Whether we're on the "recast" side of the discussion or the "replacement character" side, we're the long-term, ride or die fans. And in the wake of all this awfulness, I hate seeing us argue like we are. There's enough division in the world as it is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I don't know that he DOES have to die. Paul Walker's
    character in the Fast Franchise didn't.

The issue with recasting is that who would want the role under these circumstances?

The person doing the replacing is going to have to follow a critically acclaimed performance by a widely admired actor that tragically died in his most iconic role.

That's a big ask at this point.

If he is "somewhere else" they don't have to recast.
    I don't think that everyone is going to accept, "T'Challa is alive but we sent him away so he won't be in the movie."

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I did think they could punt on the issue by doing a "World of Wakanda" movie featuring Shuri and Nakia next. Depending on the scale, they could say this is something the King can't know about, so they don't have to worry about recasting or replacing the Black Panther right away.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I did think they could punt on the issue by doing a "World of Wakanda" movie featuring Shuri and Nakia next. Depending on the scale, they could say this is something the King can't know about, so they don't have to worry about recasting or replacing the Black Panther right away.
    They're still years away from making any kind of decision so anything could happen( I still adamantly prefer they recast).

But I do think that WoW would be better as a Disney+ series featuring Shuri and the Doras.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I don't think that everyone is going to accept, "T'Challa is alive but we sent him away so he won't be in the movie."
    You can always go the other way. Instead of having Tchalla sent away, simply have the movie largely not take place in Wakanda. It wouldn't be that difficult to justify Tchalla staying at home running the place while Shuri and whoever else are away on an adventure.

It won't make everyone completely happy but it's an option if they wanna buy some time.
    Last edited by XPac; 09-29-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    You can always go the other way. Instead of having Tchalla sent away, simply have the movie largely not take place in Wakanda. It wouldn't be that difficult to justify Tchalla staying at home running the place while Shuri and whoever else are away on an adventure.

It won't make everyone completely happy but it's an option if they wanna buy some time.
    That sounds like the same exact thing as having T'Challa sent away, just in reverse...which means, as Marvell2100 said, T'Challa wouldn't be in the movie.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

I'd love to get a Shuri & the Doras show on Disney+. A film would be cool but a show would be my choice. More time to explore the characters.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    That sounds like the same exact thing as having T'Challa sent away, just in reverse...which means, as Marvell2100 said, T'Challa wouldn't be in the movie.
    In the practical sense it's the same thing. Its more a World of Wakanda movie (or TV show maybe) than a Black Panther one. It gives Shuri the chance to be the minority female lead that some people want, while not taking T'Challa off the board permanently.

As compromises go, it's not bad. He's not being replaced so much as he's just not being used at the moment. Again, it won't make everyone completely happy... but it's a viable option if they want to buy themselves a bit more time.

It would make more sense to do it her on a D+ show and leave the movies to focus on T'Challa. Changing it from BP 2 to World of Wakanda wouldn't be the best move. Shuri gets to be a leading female hero and not encroach on T'Challas space whole also developing her own path.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd love to get a Shuri & the Doras show on Disney+. A film would be cool but a show would be my choice. More time to explore the characters.
    That would make sense too. More Wakanda is better no matter what, imo.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Rest of the world seemed reasonably fine in Spiderman. Maybe Wakanda is worse off than everyone else ... that's up to Coogler. He'll tell the story he needs to tell.
    How would Wakanda be potentially worse off? They're technology and societal infrastructure is clearly more advanced and better suited to withstand and endure a crisis that the rest of the world is facing. Wakanda doesn't participate in international trade so there's no reliance or condolence on any other country and considering T'Challa brought Wakanda out of the shadows to the rest of the world prior to the events of IW, whatever global disaster there is, Wakanda would be the least affected by it.