Page 52 of 750 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152552 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    In this interview, Coates discusses his most recent book/novel, a fictional story about slavery.

This interview of Coates shows why we are getting what we're getting in Black Panther and what stories we can continue to expect get out of Black Panther whiles he writing ( see time 4:40 to 5:40). WE SERIOUSLY NEED ANOTHER WRITER ON THE MAIN BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK!!!

At time stamp 4:25 to 4:40, this statement makes me wonder if this is why T'Challa is depicted the way he is & why Storm and Shuri are shown the way they are.

Ta Nehisi Coates is completely unsuited to writing a character like T'Challa or Wakanda as a world changing concept of an African civilization that developed untainted by Western Imperialism and the enslavement of Africans that enabled said imperialism in the first place.

Marvel Editorial have really done a major disservice to the Hlack Panther mythos and anyone arguing 8n favour of Coates output in this regard, really cant say that they appreciate what this writer is doing with specific focus on said mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hm, I think Hudlin did do a story about an Old Man T’Challa who kicked everyone’s ass. Now I’m thinking about how a Dark Knight Returns type story for T’Challa would work. Old retired T’Challa coming back for one last fight would be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Priest did this for the annual during his run. It was set 25yrs later with T'Challa having two kids one with an unknown woman and another with Nakis. It took place after an invent that killed over 500,000 Wakandan lives which caused T'Challa to withdraw all diplomatic relations with the US.
    Quite literally, actually. Achebe played the Joker role, and Ross grew a mustache to play Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hm, I think Hudlin did do a story about an Old Man T’Challa who kicked everyone’s ass. Now I’m thinking about how a Dark Knight Returns type story for T’Challa would work. Old retired T’Challa coming back for one last fight would be interesting.
    Priest did this for the annual during his run. It was set 25yrs later with T'Challa having two kids one with an unknown woman and another with Nakis. It took place after an invent that killed over 500,000 Wakandan lives which caused T'Challa to withdraw all diplomatic relations with the US.
    In this interview, Coates discusses his most recent book/novel, a fictional story about slavery.

This interview of Coates shows why we are getting what we're getting in Black Panther and what stories we can continue to expect get out of Black Panther whiles he writing ( see time 4:40 to 5:40). WE SERIOUSLY NEED ANOTHER WRITER ON THE MAIN BLACK PANTHER COMIC BOOK!!!

At time stamp 4:25 to 4:40, this statement makes me wonder if this is why T'Challa is depicted the way he is & why Storm and Shuri are shown the way they are.

This is the part that gets me. He talks about the idea that nobody has told the history of the 250 years of "enslavement" (interesting that they use the passive term, but I digress) like this is the only part of the African experience untapped.

And then I read about the Axum, who pretty much dominated East Africa from 80 BC to 825 AD. And that's just scratching the surface. I've never even HEARD of some of these cultures:

https://blog.rhinoafrica.com/2018/03...ican-kingdoms/

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Ta Nehisi Coates is completely unsuited to writing a character like T'Challa or Wakanda as a world changing concept of an African civilization that developed untainted by Western Imperialism and the enslavement of Africans that enabled said imperialism in the first place.

Marvel Editorial have really done a major disservice to the Hlack Panther mythos and anyone arguing 8n favour of Coates output in this regard, really cant say that they appreciate what this writer is doing with specific focus on said mythos.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    This is the part that gets me. He talks about the idea that nobody has told the history of the 250 years of "enslavement" (interesting that they use the passive term, but I digress) like this is the only part of the African experience untapped.

And then I read about the Axum, who pretty much dominated East Africa from 80 BC to 825 AD. And that's just scratching the surface. I've never even HEARD of some of these cultures:

Coates has injected slavery into an African country that had repelled it back, Wakanda, because of his warped view of the world & black people. It is sad that he has destroyed the love of the character of T'Challa for many people.

Funny how all of his negativity & cynicism has eluded Steve Rogers.

DigiCom, I agree that it's interesting he is using the passive term, "enslavement"
    Last edited by Vibranium Weave; 01-31-2020 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I want to see something completely different. I would like to see T'challa transcend his life into Godhood. Bast said that T'challa was special to her/him unlike any past Black Panther. Let's see a story where the threat was such that Wakanda and possibly the world was at danger, and after some incredible odds he is defeated only to raised more powerful protector of not just Africa, but the world.
    Eh I'm not too fond of T'Challa getting"defeated only to come back stronger then ever" as those stories tend to pyrrhic victories at best. All the while T'Challa is beaten down and gives some speech. F that. Hudlin did it right. If we see old man T'Challa, it's gotta be where the world's fears of Wakanda being able to take over actually happens.

Futhermore, based on this interview, if slavery & black dysfunction is all he has for T'Challa & Wakanda, I CANNOT READ HIS BLACK PANTHER RUN.

Looks like it is up to Aaron & Zub now. All Skinfolk Ain’t Kinfolk.

That's because Coates is all about the stereotype that the west depicts of Africa. He, just like the rest, love misery, abd relish in telling these slave stories and thinking that's all there is to say about Africans.

As you said, there is an untapped wealth of knowledge of cultures and tribes that have done Amazing things. Nations unconquered, with technology that at the time, was just as advanced as other powers of the World. Yet we won't see that, all we get is slavery, dysfunction, rape, and ineptitude. Ibstead of showing black excellence on full display

Coates has injected slavery into an African country that had repelled it back, Wakanda, because of his warped view of the world & black people. It is sad that he has destroyed the love of the character of T'Challa for many people.

DigiCom, I agree that it's interesting he is using the passive term, "enslavement"
    The bolded is not possible. He's not powerful. In order to do that, he'd need a time machine to keep the Priest and Hudlin runs from existing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    The bolded is not possible. He's not powerful. In order to do that, he'd need a time machine to keep the Priest and Hudlin runs from existing.
    I understand your statement.....but it'still sad that we have to re-read old runs from a decade ago to see the real T'Challa. I mean he had a movie come-out that broke records that no-one 10 years ago would've of thought possible. But, yeah at least we have those runs all collected in a TPB.

Quite literally, actually. Achebe played the Joker role, and Ross grew a mustache to play Jim Gordon.
    I do vaguely recall that story now that you both mentioned it but it’s been a while. I need to go reread the Priest run seems like I’ve forgotten parts of it.

Keep your head up. BP had a hugely successful movie, he’s got great solo and team runs in his past, and he’s had good animated showings too. BP2 is coming and will no doubt be excellent. His solo is really boring right now, but characters have bounced back from much worse with less. Just look at Iron Man, he was pretty much ruined after Civil War turned him into a fascist and it took the RDJ movie to save him. Hulk went almost an entire decade without a good run until Ewing got put on the book. Hopefully Coates will move on in a year or so, preferably around the time BP2 comes out. People love T’Challa and always will, one crap run won’t change that.

His Captain America took a real nose dive as well.

I wish Chip Zdarsky could get BP for at least 12 issues.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I'm starting to have the feeling that Marvel, in general, doesn't really care about BP so much.

I mean with the accolades the film got plus box office, you would expect Marvel to at least probably get new writers for the BP book or capitalise on the character on some other platform but that seems not to be the case.

Carol is at least doing kind of well despite the backlash Brie got and the fact that the box office did not even make up to Bp's BO.

All in all

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    I'm starting to have the feeling that Marvel, in general, doesn't really care about BP so much.
    I think it's more fundamental than that, frankly.

Marvel Comics editorial isn't interested in actually building an audience of readers. For whatever reason, their policies are devoted to more of a collector mindset, so every series has umpteen covers, every event Matters™, and a new writer is only worth calling attention to if they are somehow newsworthy.

Rather than going after new audiences (like the bookstore crowd) they've put all their chips on the Direct Market, a relatively small territory that has been shrinking steadily for years, not only due to rising costs but also an aging fanbase. BP is merely experiencing the fallout more than most.

(Please note, DC is hardly any better)

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post

I mean with the accolades the film got plus box office, you would expect Marvel to at least probably get new writers for the BP book or capitalise on the character on some other platform but that seems not to be the case.

Carol is at least doing kind of well despite the backlash Brie got and the fact that the box office did not even make up to Bp's BO.

All in all

Also, the BP movie is the 1st superhero movie to be nominated for Best Picture.

I think the MCU's goal was to make Captain Marvel take center stage so they had the comics division push her hard. Right now it's paying off for Carol through Kelly Thompson.

BP movie doing as well as it did caught Marvel by surprise. It's hard to ignore the success of the movie and the spotlight the character has received, so they are coming from behind to capitalize on it. Plus Coates is a big literary name with a lot if eyes on him. So, they can't replace him just like that on the book and Marvel may think their is some pay off with Coates writing the book down the road.

This is the state of BP at this point. To be frank, I'm not sure editorial really believes in Black Panther as a comic book character to invest in.

Also, the BP movie is the 1st superhero movie to be nominated for Best Picture.

I think the MCU's goal was to make Captain Marvel take center stage so they had the comics division push her hard. Right now it's paying off for Carol through Kelly Thompson.

BP movie doing as well as it did caught Marvel by surprise. It's hard to ignore the success of the movie and the spotlight the character has received, so they are coming from behind to capitalize on it. Plus Coates is a big literary name with a lot if eyes on him. So, they can't replace him just like that on the book and Marvel may think their is some pay off with Coates writing the book down the road.

This is the state of BP at this point. To be frank, I'm not sure editorial really believes in Black Panther as a comic book character to invest in.
    You realize hes had at least eight related books since 2016. Thats plenty of money their throwing around. I pretty sure only Spider-Man or Batman can claim that. I think your first reason is more accurate than the second.

And thats just the 616. There are a handful of guide books, novels, and kids books. Pre movie, Black Panther merchandise was rare. Now you can get everything with BPs face on it.
    Last edited by Cville; 01-31-2020 at 04:05 PM.