Page 641 of 750 FirstFirst ... 141541591631637638639640641642643644645651691741 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,615 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Ideally this would happen, but you know that's not gonna satisfy people and not in line with what Disney's been doing anyway. I'd love for Shuri to be called her own mantle and carve out her own space in the mythos but I don't see why Disney would be willing to have legacies for Cap, Tony, and Thor but not T'Challa, who over his MCU lifetime will probably be more profitable.

Marvel would frankly be idiotic not to continue the brand and as long as T'Challa gets his story told and cemented as the real, OG Black Panther I don't care if someone else takes the mantle. They'll just be replacements until the MCU reboots. Just don't **** on T'Challa's legacy or disrespect his character after the fact and I'm good. Shuri should absolutely carve out her own space and supporting cast with a D+ show but at the end of the day, no matter how it gets delayed she'll eventually get the mantle.

I could definitely see Disney expediting the timeline for that to happen so they can appease the people who'll be pissed she didn't get to replace T'Challa on the throne. Everyone basically gets what they want (their preferred character in a BP suit), the only real downside for us is we'll probably be focusing a bit more on her in the BP sequels. But they can just shave off a supporting character's screentime to make it work. Which is a small price to pay for T'Challa to be alive and be a leading part of the massive crossovers that'll define the next phases of the MCU.
    If Sam and Bucky can get a D+ show as the legacy of Cap, I don't see why Shuri can't get that while T'Challas story plays out in the MCU. It's still shared, and these people would get MORE Shuri more often, less wait time in between seasons of its a hit, and more development that you can get with movies.

The Only reason I see that these folks wouldn't like it is because they can't say that Shuri is the SOLE holder of the franchise, they can't say she is THE black panther. but if they actually cared about representation then this would be a great compromise, especially given Shuri would eventually segueway I to the mcu and take over after T'Challas story is told (I'm hoping that of recast, the actor gets a 3 solo movie deal as it's only fair) and he moves on.

For domestic, T'Challas solo movie grossed more than Cap, Tony, and thors first two movies combined (I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's grossed more than every marvel movie and it's sequel domestic) I don't think Disney is dumb enough to go "You know, people went apr **** whenever T'Challa show's up, let's kill him off and push Shuri instead".

Spectacular Member

Chadwick was to great as t'challa. if they can't find someone as great as chadwick it can't work. Shuri should be the black panther.

Quote Originally Posted by superheat View Post
    Chadwick was to great as t'challa. if they can't find someone as great as chadwick it can't work. Shuri should be the black panther.
    There are different ways to play and appreciate the character. What we saw first isnt always the only way. Id honestly prefer a different take even though i liked the Boseman version

Pandemic Panther...

Wonder Woman 1984 is headed to HBO Max... Princess Panther is probably headed to Disney+ to collect them Mulan residuals!
    Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    1. People don't know how the actual Shuri BP story went down. They really think that T'Challa died and she took over, with many believing that she is still the Black Panther to this day.

2. They know the circumstances surrounding BP Shuri but they want to be selective about how to incorporate it into the MCU. So Shuri should take the crown because it happened in the comics, but T'Challa should stay dead and not have any mantle because the MCU isn't the comics. Basically we don't have to adapt everything.

3. People don't know about the other roles Shuri has played because up until recently she didn't have one. She was a solid tertiary character who did nothing of note before becoming BP. And since then the Griot stuff (which has potential) hasn't really caught on even among actual comic fans, let alone MCU fans.

It takes awhile for casual audiences to get hip to major status quo changes for a character unless it's thrown in their face or something that just really catches fire. And unlike Wonder Girl, who actually did capture people's attention, Shuri didn't have a catchy design to put her on. It'd take years before Griot becomes a part of how Shuri's perceived and that's not likely since the comics are basically abandoning it to follow the MCU take anyway. Shuri can absolutely lead her own sub-franchise, as either the adventuring tech princess or a young sorceress, but that's not enough for some people. And in any case Disney probably didn't see the potential for any Shuri spin-offs until 2018 and Boseman's death throws a wrench in any franchise expansion for the moment.
    Sorry, do you mean Wonder Woman or Wonder Girl?

@Paul Muad'Dib...

At first I was not certain if you are serious about your claims or just Trolling like me but here goes...

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I knew someone important (a brotha) at Warner in their video game making department!

We would see each other at a friend of my younger brother's home usually for fights like Mayweather and other payperview events!

We got into a discussion about comics and eventually exposed that most executives at DC really didn't frequent comic shops let alone Comic-con but were failing badly in their video game making projects!

At some point he petitioned me to right a treatment to see if I could help them out which I did and presented him something he literally enjoyed while we watched yet another Mayweather victory that he missed focused squarely on my little script!

I didn't here from him for a while until I got a delivery "officially" from their department of the duffle bag I loaned him of various graphic novels I owned to help acclimate him... I'm talking Death of Superman, Tower of Babel, Crisis on Infinite Earth, etc. etc

I later joked about the "official" delivery where he could have just handed them back to me or gave them to my brother but whatevah...

Legalities in this business are no joke as lawsuits are a dime a dozen but most companies steer clear of potential entanglements whenever possible!

Now what was my original idea?

It was something where The Joker had seven deadly jokes one for each Justice League member that took them through trials and tribulations at a comedy club!

Later... Batman: Arkham Asylum comes out and Joker is wilding out similar to what I wrote considering that super hero games really sucked back then and sure I noticed some similarities but just like Heath Ledger's Joker or Joaquin Phoenix that's all they are!

Note: Rocksteady made 3 out of the 4 Arkham games where Origins was WB in house

I don't own Joker or any of DC's catalog and I never officially worked for them anymore than you have writing Black Panther!

In this super hero genre there are all types of "shiny" things and primary colored spandex and oh so random mcguffins so what can you really claim as yours!

Can James Earl Jones even claim co-creation of Darth Vader with George Lucas simply because his voice is synonymous with the character... That's a slippery legal slope which could have all actors, writers and creators replaced by robots!

You could design magical gauntlets, floating buccaneer boots and teleporting earrings for Black Panther but claiming creative licensing over a character that you did not create in the first place is putting you in this territory...

https://blackexcellence.com/sophia-stewart/

Plus... You would have to show that very busy professionals even came across your work and would risk their careers stealing from you as if they did not have enough qualifications to get hired in the first place!

Then you have to also contend with the fact that both Marvel and DC own the rights to the words "Super Hero" since they furthered the concept long before you and I were born!

Someone could accuse you of taking their ideas if they have things that you depict presented years before you picked up a drawing pen!

Just copyright your own characters and stay creative... Work for hire means work for hire!

Peace
    Get Hectic!

I have a family member currently working as a writers' assistant on a popular sitcom. Naturally they want to become a writer and have ideas of their own for shows etc.

I always tell them to copyright their own work.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    There are different ways to play and appreciate the character. What we saw first isnt always the only way. Id honestly prefer a different take even though i liked the Boseman version
    While Fiege promised not to use a digital recreation of Chadwick Boseman in Black Panther 2, that might not stop them from pulling a Bruce Lee/Game of Death type deal with whatever unused footage they have left so they can kick the recast Tchalla can down the road a ways.

They're already casting other characters now, from what I am reading.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I have a family member currently working as a writers' assistant on a popular sitcom. Naturally they want to become a writer and have ideas of their own for shows etc.

I always tell them to copyright their own work.
    I was a little disappointed with the extension of the copyright act in 1998. I had done sooo many Mickey Mouse projects that to this day I could sculpt a Mickey or Minny without line art. I am not proud, and I would have lived off as many knock offs as long as I could.
    And there are apparently plenty of back door ways to copyright your work that hold up in court if you dont want to pay for the actual copyright. If that is true or not, I can't say. But I have heard about it so long from various sources there must be something there.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    I was a little disappointed with the extension of the copyright act in 1998. I had done sooo many Mickey Mouse projects that to this day I could sculpt a Mickey or Minny without line art. I am not proud, and I would have lived off as many knock offs as long as I could.
    Who says you can't?

There are other mice running around not named Mickey.

How many versions of Thor & Hercules are running around? We got Spider folk not named Miles or Peter running around. Heck one of the writers posts on here regularly.

Ninja Turtles have been ripped off how many times?

90% of early Image looked like X-Men ripoffs.

Static and Ms Marvel share the same origin. How they got there is different.

And there are apparently plenty of back door ways to copyright your work that hold up in court if you dont want to pay for the actual copyright. If that is true or not, I can't say. But I have heard about it so long from various sources there must be something there.

It's called Poor Man's copyright.

One version my college professor told us was to mail the originals to yourself and do not open it. Just store it away. So if something does come up-the post mark on the package protects you.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Who says you can't?

How many versions of Thor & Hercules are running around? We got Spider folk not named Miles or Peter running around. Heck one of the writers posts on here regularly.

One version my college professor told us was to mail the originals to yourself and do not open it. Just store it away. So if something does come up-the post mark on the package protects you.
    Not a bad idea. I'll pass that on.

Who says you can't?

Let's get some law up in this isht.

As the current law stands, any creative work is copyrighted as soon as it is placed in a tangible medium, including an electronic file. You don't have to mail it to yourself, or file it anywhere. As soon as you make it, it gets a ©. You don't have to include any special disclaimers or symbols. Note that this only applies to the works themselves, not "concepts" (which cannot be copyrighted) or designs (which would be trademarks).

However, you have the option of registering a copyright with the Federal government, in case you are worried about theft. That's how you get the ®.

That being said, if your work is based on the intellectual property of another (e.g. fanfic or fanart) it's what is termed a derivative work, and can't be copyrighted, except in certain narrow cases (primarily, parody & criticism) unless you can prove in court that the original work has been transformed sufficiently as to now be a new work.

Even so, none of this gives you permission to use the trademarks of someone else, which do have to be registered to get the ™, and can be lost if the owners abandon them. This includes names, physical depictions, and logos.

(This is why Marvel keeps relaunching old team books like Heroes For Hire every few years).

So, if you had a great idea for a BP run... you still don't own it in any legal sense, because Marvel owns the trademarks, and can probably make a case for the copyright.

Who says you can't?

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Let's get some law up in this isht.

As the current law stands, any creative work is copyrighted as soon as it is placed in a tangible medium, including an electronic file. You don't have to mail it to yourself, or file it anywhere. As soon as you make it, it gets a ©. You don't have to include any special disclaimers or symbols. Note that this only applies to the works themselves, not "concepts" (which cannot be copyrighted) or designs (which would be trademarks).

However, you have the option of registering a copyright with the Federal government, in case you are worried about theft. That's how you get the ®.

That being said, if your work is based on the intellectual property of another (e.g. fanfic or fanart) it's what is termed a derivative work, and can't be copyrighted, except in certain narrow cases (primarily, parody & criticism) unless you can prove in court that the original work has been transformed sufficiently as to now be a new work.

Even so, none of this gives you permission to use the trademarks of someone else, which do have to be registered to get the ™, and can be lost if the owners abandon them. This includes names, physical depictions, and logos.

(This is why Marvel keeps relaunching old team books like Heroes For Hire every few years).

So, if you had a great idea for a BP run... you still don't own it in any legal sense, because Marvel owns the trademarks, and can probably make a case for the copyright.
    Ahh...Digicom as ever bringing knowledge.

Uh, we don't have to pay you for this legalese right?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Ahh...Digicom as ever bringing knowledge.

Uh, we don't have to pay you for this legalese right?
    I'll let you guys have this one pro bono.

Mighty Member

Who says you can't?

I literally meant selling perfect Mickey Mouse merch. Not my own creation but my own works. But the licensing for that back then was. I'm told, like $50,000! I was just going to make money selling Mickey stuff but the copyright extension ruling put the kabosh on that. That's why I said I wasn't proud. But Disney got away using other peoples stories for their animations because the copyright protection expired.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.