Page 689 of 750 FirstFirst ... 189589639679685686687688689690691692693699739 ... LastLast
Results 10,321 to 10,335 of 11243
    Ultimate Member

Someone mentioned Joker and I should point that Christopher Nolan specifically did NOT bring Joker back for The Dark Knight Rises out of respect for Heath Ledger after his death.

It’s different when someone dies tragically.

Astonishing Member

Anyways, here’s to hoping that T’Challa can keep his mantle in the comics and Marvel announces a relaunch of the solo soon. Redjack probably isn’t writing the solo since he’s got some exciting stuff lined up at DC so I’m hoping for Saladin or Aaron. If David Walker’s not too busy, he’d be great too. Looks like the only interesting T’Challa stuff will be in print for awhile so hopefully Marvel doesn’t mess that up.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Heath Ledger died (it was beyond tragic) before he could finish The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and they recast him with THREE different actors: Jude Law, Johnny Depp, and Colin Farrell.

Was that disrespectful? No, it honored his work because instead of shelving the character they continued the story that Ledger wanted to tell.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 12-11-2020 at 01:36 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Gotta say I'm not happy seeing so many jump ship over Tchalla. No one could really live up to Bozeman. Im devastated to see the character retire but they clearly aren't doing this out of dusrespect and are sacrificing money and marketability with this decision. I completely understand it even if I won't have made the same choice
    No one could live up to Boseman is such a bogus comment. Anyone who believes Chadwick was the only black man on this planet who could play T'Challa is crazy. Was it not 10 years ago people were saying the exact same thing about Djimon Hounsou? Look at James Bond, a film series that Black Panther has OBVIOUSLY taken inspiration from, Sean Connery was the goat...irreplaceable but after he left the role the first time they had a new movie out, one of the best movies in the series and in general, ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE 2 years later with an unknown Australian actor. There have been 5 actors to take on the role since Connery each leaving their mark. Craig's casting was a global controversy because he was blonde, not tall enough and not conventionally good looking...yet he's the longest serving Bond, 2 of his films so far are regarded as the best and many people dojtvwant to see him leave despite every other week there's media excitement as to who could be the next Bond.

So yeah, this whole, "only Chadwick could do the role" is bullcrap.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I said the same thing about Chadwick Boseman months back because I was hurt and couldn't imagine anyone else in the role in the moment (and also thought most actors wouldn't immediately jump at the role), not because I literally didn't want anyone else to ever play the character.

Even if they were still not going to recast, I think I would havr ultimately preferred them delaying the film's production at least for another year. It just feels too soon to be moving on like this.

No Black Panther no T'challa no revenue...

Get Hectic!

People are talking about his impact on the MCU. Saying he had none. I vehemently disagree.

Chad took the character many of us have loved for years and brought that to millions. People all over the world. Children. They all know TChalla and they know Black Panther nd they know Wakanda because of him. Would I have loved to see him face off against Namor, meet Reed, interact with Iron Man, yes. But fate had other plans.

The decision to recast is gonna puzzle me for a while. Well always be theorizing on how they got to this point. Maybe no other actor felt right. Maybe it was a contract thing. Maybe it was just purely out of sentiment. All I know is the world of Wakanda should live on. Its just as much a chatacter as TChalla is. Like Gotham is to Batman, the two are one and influence each other and have for years. Wakanda without TChalla can still be interesting in my eyes. It wont be easy but it can be done. Itd in the nature of the mantle to be passed on, we just didn't want it so soon.
    Difference is Gotham became it's own place after decade's of building up Batman. And no T'Challa should live on. Wakanda can always be explored. But the franchise character needed to have his story told and seen through to its completion. When it was said he didn't make an impact on the MCU what's meant by that is IN universe. Because he is being shelved it sidelined or whatever they are doing, his actual I'm universe presence isnt much at all. He opened Wakanda to Cap and friends at the tail end of IW and brought his army at the tail end of EG. Wakanda is the most interesting when it's being interacted through T'Challa. I think that if they try to explore Wakanda being open to the World and explored without T'Challas guidance would just be further insult to injury. Boseman was a once in a lifetime type person, just so special and a seemingly genuinely good person. However, all his hard work he put into the characters he brought to Life on the big screen just being casually set aside and all these people clamoring how it's impossible to replace him.. but 100% down for exploring Wakanda or passing Shuri then mantle and moving on really miss the mark on how important the character is. T'Challa has always been the important part of Wakanda. Before him they were isolated xenophobes. He opened them up to the world, he is the one who made the change and constantly juggles the responsibility and weight of the crown and his people as well as the responsibility of being a super hero who wants to save the world. Wakanda itself is only slightly interesting without T'Challa. Abd we barely even scratched the surface with him but yet disney thinks it's good enough

I never agreed with that sentiment. I thought he was absolutely fantastic in his film as an adaptation and a character in his own right.

That being said, it's a tough situation. The MCUs casting decisions have been a lot more than placeholders, they've arguably defined what stories get told and how. Say what you will but if you ask me there is no MCU Tony without RDJ, no MCU Steve without Cap, etc. Same goes for TChalla. His portrayal largely defind the character in these movies and sure, they could find another black man to play him, but it just wouldn't be the same. Not to me.

Itd either be another guy doing a chad impersonation or a completely different take all together which is even worse.
    How is a different take worse? There's so many different takes of bond, Batman, joker, Spiderman, Superman etc. Why is it all of a sudden so unreasonable for the biggest Black hero of all time to have his story continue to be told? Black people have been saying they want to be treated the same as white people, but it's always different, it's a special case. Here, T'Challa Chadwick was too important so goodbye T'Challa? Nah man Chadwick did something special and to let his work fall to the side is disrespectful.

Really they should of just held off on the sequel a together and waited a few more years. T'Challa, not Wakanda, not Shuri, or Okoye or M'Baku, but T'CHALLA, it's the draw. A character that has been around for 50+ years, a character created to fight racial stereotypes surrounding Black folks, who's name came before the black panther party, cannot be treated with the same respect as his fellow white heroes???

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I said the same thing about Chadwick Boseman months back because I was hurt and couldn't imagine anyone else in the role in the moment (and also thought most actors wouldn't immediately jump at the role), not because I literally didn't want anyone else to ever play the character.

Even if they were still not going to recast, I think I would havr ultimately preferred them delaying the film's production at least for another year. It just feels too soon to be moving on like this.
    Disney: We can't recast out of respect but we can push the movie ahead as planned bc we can still make money off that ass!

But really.... look at the announced plans of the other movies. T'challa made a billion dollars yet... where are teh Wakanda spin offs? Captain marvel got one with secret invasion. Thor got one wit Loki. Cap franchise got fal/WS. Dr strange is infecting the whole damn phase it seems like. Huge news bringing back fanservice crap to Spider-man. Freaking hawkeye has a show. Iron Man franchise got TWO shows.

Black Panther franchise got... their lead character buried.

No one at Marvel cares about BP and never did. A billion dollars couldn't change it. Nothing ever will. It takes multigenerational fan boys to change stuff like this just like it takes generational wealth to drag black people out of poverty.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Man, I'm glad my kids favorite heroes are Spider-Man and Batman lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post

Same reason I never clamored for a specific actor to take over either. I wanted rma recast and really would of preferred of they waited and started filming again in 2022 for a 2023 release or something. Giving time to grieve and come to terms that Chadwick though gone, will always be remembered while also remembering that T'Challa is a fictional character and fictional character outlive all of us, and it would be a tragedy to let the character die with Chad

I am trying to forget about this and just ignore this decision made by Disney but after many years of being enamoured with the character of T'Challa (Close to a decade before the BP movie announcement) and just thinking about the possibilities of the impact the character will make in the MCU only for the character to be sidelined because of a real-life tragedy that I'm still sad about, it's hard to ignore this.

I know its a fictional character but as an individual of an African descent (Nigerian to be specific) who looked up to the character as a symbol of what a black man is capable of achieving in a world saturated by animosity against the black man, this doesn't sit well with me.

And you guys are right, Marvel doesn't give a toss about BP. Not a good year for a BP fan such as myself.

Guess I will need to recreate this panel in my head knowing we will never see it come to fruition in the MCU.

After all, it's Disney/Marvel's property so they can do as they wish with the character. Just don't expect me to conform to their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Disney: We can't recast out of respect but we can push the movie ahead as planned bc we can still make money off that ass!

But really.... look at the announced plans of the other movies. T'challa made a billion dollars yet... where are teh Wakanda spin offs? Captain marvel got one with secret invasion. Thor got one wit Loki. Cap franchise got fal/WS. Dr strange is infecting the whole damn phase it seems like. Huge news bringing back fanservice crap to Spider-man. Freaking hawkeye has a show. Iron Man franchise got TWO shows.

No one at Marvel cares about BP and never did. A billion dollars couldn't change it. Nothing ever will. It takes multigenerational fan boys to change stuff like this just like it takes generational wealth to drag black people out of poverty.
    I think this right here really hits hard on what most people seem to be missing. Just looking at those line ios and how franchises are getting spin off shows, if they want to explore Wakanda do it in an show, let the movies finish T'Challas story... I swear if T'Challa gets removed on comics that might just send me away all together and just be done with comics as a whole. He is the only reason i even started reading marvel comics at all

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Exactly where I'm at. We've seen what they let happened in the comics with coats. They don't care they just want black money.
    And while a lot of people here don't agree with me they've done the same in the movies by stripping Tchalla of a lot of things that made him great and giving it to his support characters. Because they don't care they just want black money. Marvel isn't protective of this franchise at all as long as they're pushing stuff out and getting revenue from it they don't care. The lead character in the franchise is no longer in it and by all statements never going to be again. They wont get my money with trashy fanfic level stories.