Page 700 of 750 FirstFirst ... 200600650690696697698699700701702703704710 ... LastLast
Results 10,486 to 10,500 of 11243
    Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Yes Coogler admitted he had issues liking T'Challa at first because he seemed too perfect. Cant remember or find the video, but I know he admitted to learning to love him.

That sent me down the rabbit hole to find this video. Seen it before, but it illustrates here WHY Coogler did what he did with T'Challa. Because the Russos decided to make Civil War be the film his father dies and not something that happened already.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Yes Coogler admitted he had issues liking T'Challa at first because he seemed too perfect. Cant remember or find the video, but I know he admitted to learning to love him.

That sent me down the rabbit hole to find this video. Seen it before, but it illustrates here WHY Coogler did what he did with T'Challa. Because the Russos decided to make Civil War be the film his father dies and not something that happened already.
    Thanks for sharing this, and congratulations on making it to 700 pages, Black Panther Appreciation Thread, even in these trying times.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

His rightful glory will be denied for many years to come on the big screen. If lucky, it would not negatively affect T'Challa (Earth-616)'s future portrayal and standing in the long run.

Last edited by XJlock; 12-11-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I know someone posted an article a few weeks back but I have no idea where it is in the thread. But it’s out there trust me lol.

The supporting cast got a bunch to do. Shuri was the main tech mind behind Wakanda with extravagant inventions in infrastructure and the main features of the protagonist’s suit. Nakia’s initial willingness to open Wakanda made T’Challa’s decision to adopt the same belief a bit less distinctive, robbing him of a unique worldview to develop. Him being dead for part of the third act allowed the cast to get characterization that would’ve under normal circumstances would’ve to the lead. We got the whole “saving vs serving your nation thing” with Nakia and Okoye as well as more time with Killmonger and the Queen Mother’s trek to M’Baku.

The supporting cast was great but I can definitely see how given how much we got to see them and how they all had specialized roles, the film felt more like an ensemble with T’Challa as the cipher and leader. And even if that wasn’t Coogler’s intention, large portions of the audience walked away with that impression. That’s not a terrible thing or anything but it did leave T’Challa feeling a little hollow and underutilized, especially in comparison to his comic counterpart. But it was a debut film and there was plenty of room in sequels to flesh out T’Challa and make him truly click. It truthfully doesn’t bother me that’s how the first film ended up but in hindsight it does leave me feeling sour we never got to see Boseman live out his full potential in the role.
    See I can't find anything about it but I can remember those interviews about him loving BP.

Really my only complaint was the super genius part. I don't even think T'Challa didn't have a World view Because Bucky was in Wakanda already. I think the thing is this. Is very easy to have a character Look super badass or fun when they only have about 10 or so minutes of screen time. Like in CW Cap wasn't very interesting compared to alot of other characters but he can carry the movie. T'Challa is the same way. I doubt Shuri, Nakia, Okoye, and even M'Baku could carry a film as a lead. That is the difference between those characters and T'Challa, in short doses they are fine and can steal the spotlight, but leading? T'Challa has the multi dimension to do so. Rather than having their one schtick

King in Black.

That's all I have to say at this time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    See I can't find anything about it but I can remember those interviews about him loving BP.

Really my only complaint was the super genius part. I don't even think T'Challa didn't have a World view Because Bucky was in Wakanda already. I think the thing is this. Is very easy to have a character Look super badass or fun when they only have about 10 or so minutes of screen time. Like in CW Cap wasn't very interesting compared to alot of other characters but he can carry the movie. T'Challa is the same way. I doubt Shuri, Nakia, Okoye, and even M'Baku could carry a film as a lead. That is the difference between those characters and T'Challa, in short doses they are fine and can steal the spotlight, but leading? T'Challa has the multi dimension to do so. Rather than having their one schtick
    This is my thought process. They all had to bounce off T'Challa to work. During IW, Okoye was bouncing off Black Widow & Scarlet Witch.

Also in IW, Shuri needed Banner to fold under pressure, and Vision's innocent, yet hilarious silence staring at him as he tried to answer her query.

No real menace really went in on M'Baku, so he has yet to be challenged. M'Baku challenged a man that showed him mercy.

T'Challa was the only one stepping on land mines so the rest of them could shine.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I'm not gonna start victimising in myself and act like everyone out there is out to get us and take away our fun as BP fans. Now you guys want to twist someone's words and push a narrative that Coogler does not like T'Challa because he probably had to (or is being forced) to make a very difficult decision based on the very real death of someone he knew? I'm as upset as you guys but come on.

I've warned about this behaviour again and again and some of you just keep pushing it further. Not everyone is an enemy. Thinking honestly I might just leave here because some of this stuff is painful to read.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post

Yeah, you have seen the interview too. I have not been able to find it. Coogler did say he felt that he was too perfect and not sure if he liked him at first. I keep thinking about what young Black male heroes may come out of the MCU besides Miles. And Miles will be part of an ensemble and animated. I think maybe Night Thrasher, Patriot or maybe Rage. To me only Thrash has that real gravitas/weight to him. Patriot is just a weak version of Cap. And Rage-oh boy, don't get me started. And you see how there are not any real interesting Black male mutants. I guess the official announcement of not casting BP is hitting me harding than it should. I just think of all those little Black boys being so excited watching the film. There are so few Heroes that look like them and now they made the decision not to recast BP. Wow.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I'm not gonna start victimising in myself and act like everyone out there is out to get us and take away our fun as BP fans. Now you guys want to twist someone's words and push a narrative that Coogler does not like T'Challa because he probably had to (or is being forced) to make a very difficult decision based on the very real death of someone he knew? I'm as upset as you guys but come on.

I've warned about this behaviour again and again and some of you just keep pushing it further. Not everyone is an enemy. Thinking honestly I might just leave here because some of this stuff is painful to read.
    Coogler obviously had a personal relationship with "Chad" as he calls him. And he probably thinks that no one else should play him under his watch. My point is that T'Challa's story as a hero needs to be continued. That his image, story and ideas need to be continued on the big screen. For me I guess if there were say 10 other Black led superhero films out there, then okay but there is only 1 and he just was shelved. I guess to the people that knew Chadwick, he defined the character and is larger to the character but I feel the symbol of BP is larger than one actor.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Coogler obviously had a personal relationship with "Chad" as he calls him. And he probably thinks that no one else should play him under his watch. My point is that T'Challa's story as a hero needs to be continued. That his image, story and ideas need to be continued on the big screen. For me I guess if there were say 10 other Black led superhero films out there, then okay but there is only 1 and he just was shelved. I guess to the people that knew Chadwick, he defined the character and is larger to the character but I feel the symbol of BP is larger than one actor.
    We don't know that. That's my point. Stop making assumptions.

How many times do I have to say "Let Marvel and Coogler lead this discussion" before people get it?

Incredible Member

David Ayer's infamous comment at Comic-Con or where ever it was, was spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    David Ayer's infamous comment at Comic-Con or where ever it was, was spot on.
    Lol that was at the Suicide Squad premiere.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I know someone posted an article a few weeks back but I have no idea where it is in the thread. But it’s out there trust me lol.

The supporting cast got a bunch to do. Shuri was the main tech mind behind Wakanda with extravagant inventions in infrastructure and the main features of the protagonist’s suit. Nakia’s initial willingness to open Wakanda made T’Challa’s decision to adopt the same belief a bit less distinctive, robbing him of a unique worldview to develop. Him being dead for part of the third act allowed the cast to get characterization that would’ve under normal circumstances would’ve to the lead. We got the whole “saving vs serving your nation thing” with Nakia and Okoye as well as more time with Killmonger and the Queen Mother’s trek to M’Baku.

The supporting cast was great but I can definitely see how given how much we got to see them and how they all had specialized roles, the film felt more like an ensemble with T’Challa as the cipher and leader. And even if that wasn’t Coogler’s intention, large portions of the audience walked away with that impression. That’s not a terrible thing or anything but it did leave T’Challa feeling a little hollow and underutilized, especially in comparison to his comic counterpart. But it was a debut film and there was plenty of room in sequels to flesh out T’Challa and make him truly click. It truthfully doesn’t bother me that’s how the first film ended up but in hindsight it does leave me feeling sour we never got to see Boseman live out his full potential in the role.
    To really pull off the notion of Wakanda being an advanced warrior culture as it is, I think you almost HAVE to have the movie feel more like an ensemble. The people surrounding him HAVE to come off as incredibly skilled and competent. And that means by definition giving them time to shine, the way you almost would with a team movie only to a lesser degree. There's a definate balancing act there as far as taking too much away from the main character, but IMO to do less with them than Coogler did would make Wakanda and the supporting cast feel less than what they should be. If he's surrounded by the best of the best in the most advanced warrior society in the world, T'Challa shouldn't have to do everything like other heroes. Everyone else around him should be pulling their weight. And that needed to be done in the first movie to establish everything.

In hindsight this perhaps was a double edged sword. It did arguably mean we got less of Boseman than perhaps many would have liked. But it did better secure the franchise for a future without him.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    It's not about liking T'Challa, it's about being respectful to Chad. Anyway, Black Panther 2 is still happening. The symbol of BP isn't just larger than one actor, it's also larger than T'Challa. They're probably giving the mantle to Shuri, who has been Black Panther in the comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Lol that was at the Suicide Squad premiere.
    Lol as you can tell I'm so bitter right now. This news was always going to hurt but I'm surprised at how deep it's cutting. Bast!

...and on that note, I don't want to see another Peter Parker Spider-Man film. I want to see Miles or better yet Miguel. Bruce Banner's go to go. Time for Amadeus Cho. Clark Kent? Tired! Bring on Calvin Ellis and...the one who can't have a film without repeatedly exploring his origin over and over again, Bruce Wayne. You're ass has gast to go. Enter Tim Fox! If Twitter and the rest of the socials don't jump on this there's going to be hell to pay.
    Last edited by Chesterfield; 12-12-2020 at 06:17 AM.