Page 746 of 750 FirstFirst ... 246646696736742743744745746747748749750 LastLast
Results 11,176 to 11,190 of 11243

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Honestly...I have no idea as I don't read any DC these days...so I have no clue who's the next best thing to Snyder and Tynion IV (that said...Ram V is getting great reviews for his work on Catwoman)

What I don't want is another "J-oke" writer of any race and/or sex. I've had enough badly written Faux-ke shittery to last me several comic book lifetimes and multidimensions. Any writer coming onto BP needs to be vetted HARD!!!

The great irony is...writers of Black characters don't have to try so damned hard to get their messages across to a Black audience/readership...WE get it. We understand. We live the message. It's the other writers who direct the other non-minority franchises to up their storytelling game for their non-minority readership. (From the very little I've read, Slott, Aaron, Cates are not interested in peddling "wokeness"...and quite frankly, I can't blame them. They just want to tell "bad-ass" stories with their favourite characters doing "bad-ass" things. And that's what WE all really want to read. Save the preaching for the pulpit.)

edit
    Chief and Ezyo GET it.
    well, bring your ass over to FUTURE STATE next month and see what John Stewart has for ya.

Or Truth & Justice, starring VIXEN.

and when that's done, come on over to GREEN LANTERN #1.

Ultimate Member

The great irony is...writers of Black characters don't have to try so damned hard to get their messages across to a Black audience/readership...WE get it. We understand. We live the message. It's the other writers who direct the other non-minority franchises to up their storytelling game for their non-minority readership. (From the very little I've read, Slott, Aaron, Cates are not interested in peddling "wokeness"...and quite frankly, I can't blame them. They just want to tell "bad-ass" stories with their favourite characters doing "bad-ass" things. And that's what WE all really want to read. Save the preaching for the pulpit.)
    I think part of the issue is the AUDIENCE.

Slott and the others will NEVER have someone write Thor, Tony, Peter, Carol or Eddie Brock are not WHITE enough.
    Slott and the others have fanbases who understand that these characters can be ANYTHING.

Showing black folks as humans or not members of the collective seems to be an issue with many.

Can't show black women getting along with black men-because so many act like that is a foreign concept.
    Can't show black men being fathers-again another foreign concept to many.
    Cops and black folks getting along-foreign concept.

Yes we LIVE the message in some form-the fake woke want to make sure everyone sees it.

Riri WIlliams gets a tv show-I am already hearing calls to have her step dad and friend killed by COPS at BLM rally.
    Static's new origin is getting powers at a BLM rally. REALLY???

Fantastic Member TrooperCameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    well, bring your ass over to FUTURE STATE next month and see what John Stewart has for ya.

Will be the 1st DC book I've had on pull list in a long time lol.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Thanks for the invite, RedJ. I just might take you up on it.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Will get all that you will be doing in DC.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Slott and the others will NEVER have someone write Thor, Tony, Peter, Carol or Eddie Brock are not WHITE enough.
    Slott and the others have fanbases who understand that these characters can be ANYTHING.

Showing black folks as humans or not members of the collective seems to be an issue with many.

Can't show black women getting along with black men-because so many act like that is a foreign concept.

Yes we LIVE the message in some form-the fake woke want to make sure everyone sees it.

Riri WIlliams gets a tv show-I am already hearing calls to have her step dad and friend killed by COPS at BLM rally.
    Regarding Static..... I wonder wtf was Hudlin thinking?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

IMO...it's the writer. Even when previous writers interjected their own personal ideologies it was done in context to the story being told and the characters involved. And we the audience accepted it and appreciated it, for the most part. Even at his lowest (under Liss?) we still got that T'Challa could be anything. We still got awe and wonder and some bad-assery thrown in, for good measure.

at the bolded...Black Panther and the world of Wakanda was originated and written as an aspiration and an inspiration. A tad idealistic, but no more so than any other superhero at the time.
    Black Panther can be ANYTHING, has been ANYTHING but over the past four years has only been just about one thing, to tell one story framed in the context of our tragic and messed up "real world" that had/has very little to do with the character and the world in which he lives.
    And THAT is on the writer.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Regarding Static..... I wonder wtf was Hudlin thinking?
    I prefer that origin to the original of getting a gun from a friend, going down to a gang fight at the docks, figuring out he's not a killer, and getting gassed. The origin is essentially the same, but being at a rally for justice is preferable to a character meant to inspire teenagers.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

What’s a nice “in and out” kind of story for BP?
    I’m not new to the character but don’t think I’ve ever properly read a full run or story about him in his own title

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I’m not new to the character but don’t think I’ve ever properly read a full run or story about him in his own title
    "In and out" as in a self contained story you don't need a lot of background info on?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I would recommend starting with Christopher Priest's first Black Panther arc, "The Client."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

IMO...it's the writer. Even when previous writers interjected their own personal ideologies it was done in context to the story being told and the characters involved. And we the audience accepted it and appreciated it, for the most part. Even at his lowest (under Liss?) we still got that T'Challa could be anything. We still got awe and wonder and some bad-assery thrown in, for good measure.

at the bolded...Black Panther and the world of Wakanda was originated and written as an aspiration and an inspiration. A tad idealistic, but no more so than any other superhero at the time.
    Black Panther can be ANYTHING, has been ANYTHING but over the past four years has only been just about one thing, to tell one story framed in the context of our tragic and messed up "real world" that had/has very little to do with the character and the world in which he lives.
    And THAT is on the writer.
    Yup, unfortunately many black creators have an inability to project black characters in an idealized, fantastical light. And what's worse is you have a lot of fans that actively crave demeaning or "woe is me" black fiction under the impression that slavishly adhering to realism is what makes a black-led story great. For far too many black people, characters that look like us exist as ciphers for political agendas and social commentary, not agents of awesomeness like Thor or Batman.

In a world where Black Panther can seamlessly shift between high fantasy, spy thriller, and more, the fact that we're getting rape camps and gender wars is a damning indictment on the caliber of black creatives Marvel is allowing into the fold. Especially when perfectly capable black creators like Redjack are getting passed up. Or when there are white creators with proven skills as BP writers who probably aren't even being considered because they're white. This comes down to black fans and creators accepting mediocre, self-defeating stories and white executives just giving black folks what they think they want.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yup, unfortunately many black creators have an inability to project black characters in an idealized, fantastical light. And what's worse is you have a lot of fans that actively crave demeaning or "woe is me" black fiction under the impression that slavishly adhering to realism is what makes a black-led story great. For far too many black people, characters that look like us exist as ciphers for political agendas and social commentary, not agents of awesomeness like Thor or Batman.

In a world where Black Panther can seamlessly shift between high fantasy, spy thriller, and more, the fact that we're getting rape camps and gender wars is a damning indictment on the caliber of black creatives Marvel is allowing into the fold. Especially when perfectly capable black creators like Redjack are getting passed up. Or when there are white creators with proven skills as BP writers who probably aren't even being considered because they're white. This comes down to black fans and creators accepting mediocre, self-defeating stories and white executives just giving black folks what they think they want.
    Ah yes, struggle movies. You know, when the protest movement started, a lot of streaming services curated their black films into a special section, usually under the heading "Amplify black voices." A lot of those movies were struggle movies. I can't watch them anymore because I'm over struggling. Writers like Coates romanticize and valorize struggle because it's all they know. They don't have any imagination, they're creatively bankrupt.

It would be nice to not have to deal with that for once.

Secret invasion: see Wakanda and die

hold up there is a Vixen book too? Why am I just hearing about this?
    The J-man