Page 8 of 750 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108508 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium Weave View Post
    I'm curious. What are your favorite Hudlin Black Panther stories? Mine are Back to Africa & Black to the Future.

I love Reginald Hudlin's entire Black Panther run.

BANNED

I have a question for people on this board. BP issue 200 is a huge milestone. If Coates is the only person to write it, would you purchase it?
    I haven't purchased a single issue of Coates BP solo.

That's not about to change anytime soon.

I'm curious. What are your favorite Hudlin Black Panther stories? Mine are Back to Africa & Black to the Future.
    My favorites from, witbp, bad mutha, 4 the hard way, little green men

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    If you mean the Vodu, they haven't shown up all that often (mostly in Jericho Drumm stories) so I can't really say.

If you mean the version currently appearing in Black Panther, they didn't exist before Coates created them (except for Bast, of course) and they've never done a bloody thing. In fact, save for the ones he swiped from the Egyptian pantheons (Thoth & Ptah) they've only appeared a half-dozen times, and I believe those were group shots.
    I don’t know anything about Black Panther so that’s why I was asking.

So, those Gods never existed until Coates. Wow....well wow. So, Vondu is the Sky-Father for Wakanda. This may be a dumb question, but why Pray to Bast if Vondu is the Top Dog in Wakanda??

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post

So, those Gods never existed until Coates. Wow....well wow. So, Vondu is the Sky-Father for Wakanda. This may be a dumb question, but why Pray to Bast if Vondu is the Top Dog in Wakanda??
    I believe he means Vondu is a West African god who Doctor Voodoo must be close to since Voodoo is associated with West African.

Wakanda doesn't have a Sky father. Their highest god is Bast.

That doesnt mean they don't acknowledge others, but they worship Bast.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I believe he means Vondu is a West African god who Doctor Voodoo must be close to since Voodoo is associated with West African.

Wakanda doesn't have a Sky father. Their highest god is Bast.

That doesnt mean they don't acknowledge others, but they worship Bast.
    OH!! Ok. Interesting.

Y’know if that’s the case. I see no reason to have the Orisha if they don’t talk.......

OH!! Ok. Interesting.

Y’know if that’s the case. I see no reason to have the Orisha if they don’t talk.......
    I think we've established Coates is not that good of a BP writer. Pointless development is one of those problems. Remeber when the key to unlocking the slaves memories was the M'Krann crystal?

Only thing that will make up for it now is if he creates a Wakanda Power Rangers with an avatar for each Orisha.
    Last edited by Cville; 01-04-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

The gods were never supposed to be important within the BP mythos to begin with. Bast was important and worshiped because it helped guide Bashenga to find the vibranium mound and unite the kingdom. But outside that like most gods it stayed out the way and was more like the Force from Star Wars. Subsequent writers like Hickman and Coates have tried to give them way too much credit for Wakanda's success.

Astonishing Member

I think we've established Coates is not that good of a BP writer. Pointless development is one of those problems. Only thing that will make up for it now is if he creates a Wakanda Power Rangers with an avatar for each Orisha.
    This seems like a natural evolution of the concept. As long as it doesn't turn into a Green Lantern situation with multiple Corps that cause the writing to go stale.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    The gods were never supposed to be important within the BP mythos to begin with. Bast was important and worshiped because it helped guide Bashenga to find the vibranium mound and unite the kingdom. But outside that like most gods it stayed out the way and was more like the Force from Star Wars. Subsequent writers like Hickman and Coates have tried to give them way too much credit for Wakanda's success.
    I think there is an old story where the Celestials came back and told the gods to stay out of human affairs so they could judge them in 1000 years.

BANNED

I think we've established Coates is not that good of a BP writer. Pointless development is one of those problems. Remeber when the key to unlocking the slaves memories was the M'Krann crystal?

Only thing that will make up for it now is if he creates a Wakanda Power Rangers with an avatar for each Orisha.
    Oh my god....

I forgot about the Crystal. Well, damn your right. Well, I won’t speak on that I’ll leave that alone. But I will say Coates is good at writing action that’s one thing. I’d like to see more Bast. She is very odd to me as a God. Maybe it’s because I really do t know the BP Mythos. But I kinda expected her to be....well a Big Player in the Godly court if you will.

I remember her fighting with umm what’s that dude who was eating all the Gods or absorbing them. And Hercules came to save them.

BANNED

Vodun isn't a singular entity but a collection of gods worshipped by the Yoruba people of Nigeria in West Africa and devotees of the Vodun religion as far afield as Brazil.

Oh my god....

I forgot about the Crystal. Well, damn your right. Well, I won’t speak on that I’ll leave that alone. But I will say Coates is good at writing action that’s one thing. I’d like to see more Bast. She is very odd to me as a God. Maybe it’s because I really do t know the BP Mythos. But I kinda expected her to be....well a Big Player in the Godly court if you will.
    Up until the Priest run, she didn't even have a NAME. And for the most part, her role was more ceremonial. She's never been known to get directly involved in battles, etc. She's not Thor.

I remember her fighting with umm what’s that dude who was eating all the Gods or absorbing them. And Hercules came to save them.
    Amatsu-Mikaboshi. Pretty dumb story, actually. Bast is basically used as a plot device, and written out when her role is done.

(Actually, she's written quite a lot like the Tiger God. Interesting, that.)

Astonishing Member

I think there is an old story where the Celestials came back and told the gods to stay out of human affairs so they could judge them in 1000 years.
    I'm not sure that story is canon anymore but like someone said in the old thread it gives the perfect justification for Bast staying uninvolved and using Black Panthers to protect the kingdom. At best Bast should be a Prometheus-like figure, it brought the tools for Wakandan advancement but it was the Wakandans themselves that elevated their civilization to new heights.

Suggesting that their accomplishments are due to divine luck diminishes the entire concept.

Oh my god....

In order to do it right, a writer would have to create the equivalent of Asgard for her to play in. That way she can fight with people on equal footing. They're supposed to have that realm shoes insurance is shaped like a pyramid. MoonKnights' god hangs out there and I think it's been seen in his comic too.