Page 9 of 750 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109509 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    The gods were never supposed to be important within the BP mythos to begin with. Bast was important and worshiped because it helped guide Bashenga to find the vibranium mound and unite the kingdom. But outside that like most gods it stayed out the way and was more like the Force from Star Wars. Subsequent writers like Hickman and Coates have tried to give them way too much credit for Wakanda's success.
    More so it was Coates. Hickman only had bast make T'Challa her champion, warned him of impending threats then peaced out. It's really only been Coates who literally credited all of Wakandas success and development to these unseen underdeveloped gods. They str basically lucky the Orishas ™ happened to be with the Wakandans otherwise they would of died out or been enslaved like the rest of Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    More so it was Coates. Hickman only had bast make T'Challa her champion, warned him of impending threats then peaced out. It's really only been Coates who literally credited all of Wakandas success and development to these unseen underdeveloped gods. They str basically lucky the Orishas ™ happened to be with the Wakandans otherwise they would of died out or been enslaved like the rest of Africa
    Oh, it's worse than that. Don't forget, the Orishas were ordinary mortals (well, "children of the Elder Gods") who apotheosized through the power of prayer so they could help ancient proto-Wakandans conquer the Originators and conquer their land.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Oh my god....

I forgot about the Crystal. Well, damn your right. Well, I won’t speak on that I’ll leave that alone. But I will say Coates is good at writing action that’s one thing. I’d like to see more Bast. She is very odd to me as a God. Maybe it’s because I really do t know the BP Mythos. But I kinda expected her to be....well a Big Player in the Godly court if you will.

I remember her fighting with umm what’s that dude who was eating all the Gods or absorbing them. And Hercules came to save them.
    Coates it NOT good at writing action. I would credit it to the artists abd even then it depends on. The artists. Stelfreeze, Torres and Sprouse do not write action scenes right. Acuna,Gorham (he was okay) Bartel, and walker carried the action. When the 3 aforementioned were the artists, Coates poor action scenes were even more apparent. Stelfreeze wad the only one of the 3 whose static art made up for the bad action scenes. But Coates doesn't get credit for that

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Oh, it's worse than that. Don't forget, the Orishas were ordinary mortals (well, "children of the Elder Gods") who apotheosized through the power of prayer so they could help ancient proto-Wakandans conquer the Originators and conquer their land.
    Oh yeah I was simplifying it from the helpless Wakandan side of it. What they DID do makes it worse. And then gets transcended even further into cringe mode due to the fact that the whole reason for this mythos erosion, was for Storm to get a upgrade and major feat defeating the rushed "big bad"

Oh yeah I was simplifying it from the helpless Wakandan side of it. What they DID do makes it worse. And then gets transcended even further into cringe mode due to the fact that the whole reason for this mythos erosion, was for Storm to get a upgrade and major feat defeating the rushed "big bad"
    Hey, let's be fair here. They also stood around while a symbiote-empowered N'Jadaka stole Bast's power, and then immediately submitted to him afterward!

That's a "feat", right?

Crazy thing I was thinking about today. Hickman set Coates up with two "woke" modern stories he could have run with. Cannan and Azania are Wakandan economic protectorates. Magnum took over as King and wanted to make it a homeland for African Americans and Azania is apartheid SA. Examining those two would make good four to six issue series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    In order to do it right, a writer would have to create the equivalent of Asgard for her to play in. That way she can fight with people on equal footing. They're supposed to have that realm shoes insurance is shaped like a pyramid. MoonKnights' god hangs out there and I think it's been seen in his comic too.
    Up until the Priest run, she didn't even have a NAME. And for the most part, her role was more ceremonial. She's never been known to get directly involved in battles, etc. She's not Thor.

Amatsu-Mikaboshi. Pretty dumb story, actually. Bast is basically used as a plot device, and written out when her role is done.

(Actually, she's written quite a lot like the Tiger God. Interesting, that.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Vodun isn't a singular entity but a collection of gods worshipped by the Yoruba people of Nigeria in West Africa and devotees of the Vodun religion as far afield as Brazil.
    WOW...this was A LOT of information just based off of Bast. Well, I appreciate the time in schooling me.

I’ll go back to my Storm Corner.

Oh, I just wanna say BP in Agents of Wakanda is BY FAR better than the Solo......just sayin.

Coates it NOT good at writing action. I would credit it to the artists abd even then it depends on. The artists. Stelfreeze, Torres and Sprouse do not write action scenes right. Acuna,Gorham (he was okay) Bartel, and walker carried the action. When the 3 aforementioned were the artists, Coates poor action scenes were even more apparent. Stelfreeze wad the only one of the 3 whose static art made up for the bad action scenes. But Coates doesn't get credit for that
    Coates gets not credit from you does he??

Astonishing Member

Eh, Hickman was the one who had an ancient Wakandan (I assume Bashenga) bow in front of a white-furred Egyptian cat and have blood smeared on his face, with the heavy implication that the root of Wakanda’s knowledge came from the the divine heart of Amun-Ra or something like that. He certainly didn’t do as much damage as Coates has but I think with the limited pages he gave to Wakanda’’s prehistory he played up divine intervention (and Egypt) more than I’m comfortable with. But I agree completely that Coates’ interpretation is much worse especially as the primary BP writer.
    Last edited by chief12d; 01-04-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Hey, let's be fair here. They also stood around while a symbiote-empowered N'Jadaka stole Bast's power, and then immediately submitted to him afterward!

That's a "feat", right?
    It is. T'Challa too, 19 issues in, has yet to actually engage the big bad this entire season yet the big bad has been beaten twice now.. that's T'Coates power of delegation hard at work!

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    WOW...this was A LOT of information just based off of Bast. Well, I appreciate the time in schooling me.

I’ll go back to my Storm Corner.

Oh, I just wanna say BP in Agents of Wakanda is BY FAR better than the Solo......just sayin.

Coates gets not credit from you does he??
    He gets no credit for the stuff he doesn't have a hand in. People credit the aesthetics and force push to Coates when it comes to the MCU, but he stated in interviews that those were Brian stelfreeze's ideas and concepts yet he receives credit abd even stated he relied heavily on thw artists for action scenes because that wasn't his strong suit (which neither is writing comic's either but I digress). Rise of the Black panther, Evan Narcisse had to fight in every interview that HE was the writer and the story was his own and Coates was only a consultant, yet Coates not only got credit for the run, but even worse, Coates got top billing on Evan's book that he wasn't writing.. Coates gets credit for the things he brought to the mythos and frankly,
    its not something to take pride in

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Eh, Hickman was the one who had an ancient Wakandan (I assume Bashenga) bow in front of a white-furred Egyptian cat and have blood smeared on his face, with the heavy implication that the root of Wakanda’s knowledge came from the the divine heart of Amun-Ra or something like that. He certainly didn’t do as much damage as Coates has but I think with the limited pages he gave to Wakanda’’s prehistory he played up divine intervention (and Egypt) more than I’m comfortable with. But I agree completely that Coates’ interpretation is much worse especially as the primary BP writer.
    was thst in his FF issues where T'Challa becomes kotd?

was thst in his FF issues where T'Challa becomes kotd?
    Yeah. chief12d basically describes it correctly. It's not cut & dried, but the implication is clear.

Fantastic Four #607, if you are curious.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I think we've established Coates is not that good of a BP writer. Pointless development is one of those problems. Remeber when the key to unlocking the slaves memories was the M'Krann crystal?

Only thing that will make up for it now is if he creates a Wakanda Power Rangers with an avatar for each Orisha.
    As a Power Rangers fan since the first episodes back when I was a kid, that would be pretty cool to see. Hell, I'd love to see an explicitly multinational Avengers or Ultimates team brought together by T'Challa to defend the entire planet while creating or strengthening ties between the different nations of said planet.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member Vibranium Weave's Avatar

If the sales remain as low as they are, something will be done. A change will be made. Either they change creative team or cancel the series all together. The end of T'Coates is nigh.

Possibly something to look forward to this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As a Power Rangers fan since the first episodes back when I was a kid, that would be pretty cool to see. Hell, I'd love to see an explicitly multinational Avengers or Ultimates team brought together by T'Challa to defend the entire planet while creating or strengthening ties between the different nations of said planet.
    Well, the way his costume activates IS a lot like a henshin sequence…