View Poll Results: What Bronze Age Titles Would You Resurrect?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • FREEDOM FIGHTERS

7 35.00%
  • SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES

8 40.00%
  • DC SUPER-STARS

5 25.00%
  • WARLORD

7 35.00%
  • KARATE KID

5 25.00%
  • KOBRA

4 20.00%
  • MAN-BAT

2 10.00%
  • JONAH HEX

7 35.00%
  • MEN OF WAR

1 5.00%
  • SGT. ROCK

2 10.00%
  • STAR HUNTERS

5 25.00%
  • UNKNOWN SOLDIER

2 10.00%
  • BLACK LIGHTNING

10 50.00%
  • DC SPECIAL SERIES

4 20.00%
  • SHADE, THE CHANGING MAN

4 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Which of These Bronze Age Titles Would You Resurrect and Why? Part 6

Continuing. Which of these Bronze Age titles would you bring back and what would you do with them? Choose as many as you like.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

From this list, I'd only buy Black Lightning and Shade, The Changing Man books.

The latter would preferably be the Vertigo version, but if it has to be Bronze Age I'd hope they at least combine elements of both eras somehow.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Kobra and Black Lightning for me.

Kobra, because I think following a nefarious cult in the DCU could be really interesting. In terms of the POV of the leadership and members, and those who oppose them, and those trying to infiltrate them in a clandestine way.

Black Lightning, because I have specific ideas for him leading a team that’s based in Metropolis.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Superboy and the Legion, Jonah Hex, Sgt. Rock and Black Lightning.

Actually Sgt. Rock and Black Lightning would also make for an interesting team-up issue!

Astonishing Member

I'd be up for a lot of those.

Karate Kid -- if it was the Bronze Age version of Val Armorr. I always felt, though, that his series would have been more interesting set in the Legion's time period instead of having him in the 20th century. Actually, I'd put Superboy and the Legion at the top of the list -- if it was the Bronze Age version. The current series is okay, but I think it was a mistake to do yet another reboot.

Black Lightning in an urban setting is a good read. I really liked the 90s series until some brain dead editor fired Tony Isabella -- and then the artist left in protest.

Freedom Fighters just had a mini set in a different universe. It was an okay run, but I didn't really see the point of it.

Retired

The 1976 KARATE KID might not have been the series I expected it to be, but I soon came around to enjoying it for what it was. I think of it as being the equivalent of Marvel's HOWARD THE DUCK--or Charlton's E-MAN. All three are fish out of water stories, where the stranger in a strange land ends up with an unconventional red-head.

BLACK LIGHTNING is the favorite here.

I do miss Men of War with features like "Code Name: Gravedigger" (Ulysses Hazard), "Enemy Ace", and "Dateline: Frontline".

I also voted for a heck of a lot of the other ones, too.

I said Warlord and Star Hunters. Superboy and LSH, Freedom Fighters, and Shade all have current or at least recent revivals or I would have picked those as well.

Warlord would make a nice Sword and Sorcery book with some science fiction thrown in. A Black Label run where the rating could be tweaked a bit would be where I'd put it.

Star Hunters is a perfect book for today. The rebels against a planet corporation and unable to return to Earth because of a virus inside them seems like a perfect series for Mark Russell to write as many of the themes in that book are even stronger and more important today.

Retired

I wonder why they started MEN OF WAR at a new number 1. This seems to be a revival of the old series ALL-AMERICAN MEN OF WAR, which itself started as a continuation of ALL-AMERICAN WESTERN, before it got re-numbered at 2, after an issue 127 and 128. ALL-AMERICAN WESTERN of course was a continuation of ALL-AMERICAN COMICS--the flagship title of Maxwell Gaines' publishing house.

The revived MEN OF WAR lasted for 26 issues. My guess is that it was cancelled in favour of the two big Dollar Comics anthologies--G.I. COMBAT and the new ALL OUT WAR. The regular sized MEN OF WAR likely seemed superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I wonder why they started MEN OF WAR at a new number 1. This seems to be a revival of the old series ALL-AMERICAN MEN OF WAR, which itself started as a continuation of ALL-AMERICAN WESTERN, before it got re-numbered at 2, after an issue 127 and 128. ALL-AMERICAN WESTERN of course was a continuation of ALL-AMERICAN COMICS--the flagship title of Maxwell Gaines' publishing house.

The revived MEN OF WAR lasted for 26 issues. My guess is that it was cancelled in favour of the two big Dollar Comics anthologies--G.I. COMBAT and the new ALL OUT WAR. The regular sized MEN OF WAR likely seemed superfluous.
    That's a good question. While fewer and fewer comics from the big two were being revived with a numerical continuation in 1977, DC certainly wasn't done with their legacy numbering as seen with Mystery in Space 111 in 1980.