Page 14 of 63 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

I think no matter what you do with Rachel's "power signature", you're going to get people whining that she's edging too close to Jean's signature(s).

I'm not a fan of the blue Phoenix, mostly because we live in a post Rainbow Lantern world and all these colored constructs rub me the wrong way. I say stick with pinks, fuchsias, magentas, as that's so far consistent with other psychics like Psylocke, Cap Betsy, Karma, Fixx, QQ's hair, not sure about Moonstar, the Frosts, the Cuckoos.

I'd make Rachel's pink bird(s), like feathers and claws and wings, and flocks. Jean can be pink blobs. When Jean starts Pheonixing, her pink globs can become legit fire colors, and take on fiery shapes until they mass ultimately into a big mama bird shape.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Even before she was “Phoenix”... she WAS PHOENIX.
    Yup, Rachel is a compelling character who just needs a proper writer to utilize her potential. She’s the poster child for neglected kids out there. So much potential but hindered by traumatic stress they’ve been through. Imagine coming from a post apocalyptic timeline, all you love ones dead, being neglected by your parents who acts like your younger brother is always more important, and being brainwashed by pretty much everyone in the past 2 years (not to mention all awful costumes they’ve been giving. I’d be pissed off too lol.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I think no matter what you do with Rachel's "power signature", you're going to get people whining that she's edging too close to Jean's signature(s).

I'm not a fan of the blue Phoenix, mostly because we live in a post Rainbow Lantern world and all these colored constructs rub me the wrong way. I say stick with pinks, fuchsias, magentas, as that's so far consistent with other psychics like Psylocke, Cap Betsy, Karma, Fixx, QQ's hair, not sure about Moonstar, the Frosts, the Cuckoos.

I'd make Rachel's pink bird(s), like feathers and claws and wings, and flocks. Jean can be pink blobs. When Jean starts Pheonixing, her pink globs can become legit fire colors, and take on fiery shapes until they mass ultimately into a big mama bird shape.
    I think its about time she claims that right. She is the daughter of Jean Grey Summers. Former Host of the Phoenix. Sister of the Chosen One. Mother Askani. What is...is.

Besides Kitty, who else are Rachel’s best gal friends? Rogue, Lorna, Meggan, sometimes Betsy and Monet X are her best friends. I wish her and Illyana were closer. I just remember them interacting in that old UXM issue where she was evesdropping on the X-Men’s meeting while on the stairway with Illyana and Lockheed.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Besides Kitty, who else are Rachel’s best gal friends? Rogue, Lorna, Meggan, sometimes Betsy and Monet X are her best friends. I wish her and Illyana were closer. I just remember them interacting in that old UXM issue where she was evesdropping on the X-Men’s meeting while on the stairway with Illyana and Lockheed.
    I would not say Monet. They worked together and were 'friendly' on X-Men, but I would not say gal pals. Monet was mostly antagonistic towards Rachel in a competitive and elitist way.

Usual/Only Best Friend: Kitty/Kate Pryde. Gold kinda ruined their friendship as Kitty ordered Rachel around and didn't act like anyone's friend. i mean, Kitty was awful in Gold.

Close Friends: Ororo, Rogue, Meggan, Betsy, Lorna.

Friendly: Jean, Dani, Illyana, Xi'an, Rahne, Jubilee, Alison, Laura, Sage

Friend-ish: Monet, Domino, Tabitha

Frenemies: Emma

Unknown: Hope, Kwannon,

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I would not say Monet. They worked together and were 'friendly' on X-Men, but I would not say gal pals. Monet was mostly antagonistic towards Rachel in a competitive and elitist way.

Usual/Only Best Friend: Kitty/Kate Pryde. Gold kinda ruined their friendship as Kitty ordered Rachel around and didn't act like anyone's friend. i mean, Kitty was awful in Gold.

Close Friends: Ororo, Rogue, Meggan, Betsy, Lorna.

Friendly: Jean, Dani, Illyana, Xi'an, Rahne, Jubilee, Alison, Laura, Sage

Friend-ish: Monet, Domino, Tabitha

Frenemies: Emma

Unknown: Hope, Kwannon,
    Have Ali and Rachel ever interacted? Weirdly enough it always seemed like they were never on the X-Men at the same time. They were always rotating.

And when’s the last time her and Illyana interacted?
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Have Ali and Rachel ever interacted? Weirdly enough it always seemed like they were never on the X-Men at the same time. They were always rotating.

And when’s the last time her and Illyana interacted?
    She and Ali interacted a couple time, not a too many. the most was when Rachel was on the Uncanny team and Ali was in New Excalibur. The appearance of the Dark X-Men and few other small instances had them interacting. Again, friendly.

I assume Yana and her last interacted at the wedding, but on panel I don't even know. I know she was close to her Illyana, but after her resurrection I don't know how much time they have spent together. Again, friendly.

To this day we don't know if she and Hope have ever interacted.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I'm a bit late to the discussion but I love her costume, the only thing i don't like is the hair.

On Rachel's sexuality
    She hasn't had much romance in general and it is all straight so far.

I don't think it is impossible to make her bi though. She just hasn't met the right person yet if that happens to be a woman.
    I like Kitty but I don't think it would be good to pair them together, overal their friendship is more significant and I wouldn't like it ruined for the inevitable drama that comes with romances on Marvel.

In the subject of the name PRESTIGE (which I don’t hate)... was any lip service given to WHY Rachel chose that as her post “Marvel Girl Jr” identity? I didn’t read Gold (apparently a good choice) but there are a couple of meanings:
    First the conventional: inspiring respect and admiration
    And then the magic trade meaning of “prestige” (which I was introduced to in the Hugh Jackman film of that title) - the final act of a magic trick where something extraordinary happens to wow the audience.

It’s more the second meaning than the first that leads me to think it has potential to have staying power as an identity for Rachel.

(Double post)
    But here’s my favorite pic of Rachel so it’s not a waste of space!
    Last edited by Thirteen; 02-15-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    In the subject of the name PRESTIGE (which I don’t hate)... was any lip service given to WHY Rachel chose that as her post “Marvel Girl Jr” identity? I didn’t read Gold (apparently a good choice) but there are a couple of meanings:
    First the conventional: inspiring respect and admiration
    And then the magic trade meaning of “prestige” (which I was introduced to in the Hugh Jackman film of that title) - the final act of a magic trick where something extraordinary happens to wow the audience.

It’s more the second meaning than the first that leads me to think it has potential to have staying power as an identity for Rachel.
    If I remember correctly (I don't have the books at hand at the moment) Kitty gave the name to Rachel, Rachel changed her codename because she was trying to look to the future or something like that. That was on the first or second issues (maybe)
    She later had a vision about how she didn't want to become Jean, Scott or chained to her past has a hound.
    So gld did try to give Rachel something, played with the idea of Rachel wanting to define her identity a bit more by herself. It wasn't perfectly excecuted but it was something.
    I personally liked her prestige costume but that seems to be an unpopular opinion.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 02-15-2020 at 05:06 PM.

BANNED

I always thought Gold handled Rachel pretty well despite how freaking abysmal of a book it was

Fantastic Member

I understand the hatred of Gold but I am not one of them. I thought it was just nice to have her in a book full time and in such a large role. I like Prestige as a name and the costume suits me just fine but the facial marks were among the worst I have ever seen them draw for her. The new costume is...... My first impression is I don't like it but I'll give it some time.

As for the sexuality argument I have always thought she was more bi-curious then anything. I don't think because of her upbringing she really had any chance to even think on such things and then spending a good amount of time with Kitty and seeing how she is she might be more curious about other women. I don't see a natural romantic relationship among any character really. Male or female, Sublime and Nightcrawler seemed like the writers were just trying it out but I don't think they saw it working with her character.

Really? I felt that book set Rachel back in some of the worst ways. I think Guggs had a interesting idea for her but his execution was horrible and he did not handle her well at all