Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

When did Rachel’s body get destroyed and then recreated? That was a thing right?

I thiiiiink you're getting your telepaths mixed up. That destroyed-and-recreated gimmick is very Braddock.

Rachel's thing is being sent to Limbo-verses a LOT. Mojoverse, Askani Future, "College", Shi'Ar Empire, Stryfe's place, and now the Summer House during Krakoa.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 01-17-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I thiiiiink you're getting your telepaths mixed up. That destroyed-and-recreated gimmick is very Braddock.

Rachel's thing is being sent to Limbo-verses a LOT. Mojoverse, Askani Future, "College", Shi'Ar Empire, Stryfe's place, and now the Summer House during Krakoa.
    Oh okay cool thanks

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    When did Rachel’s body get destroyed and then recreated? That was a thing right?

Technically gambitxremy is not totally wrong. When Rachel faced off against Necrom in Excalibur #50 she realized the only way to beat him was to let him drain her dry and absorb all of the Phoenix Force. In doing so she was killed and her body mummified. The Phoenix did restore her body and then eventually left Earth to help heal Rachel's fractured mind and soul. So while her body was fully destroyed so to speak, The Phoenix did have to rebuild or fully restore it from the husk state Necrom left her in.

rachel27.jpg

rachel28.jpg
    Last edited by Askani's Flame; 01-17-2020 at 09:32 AM.

I stan a thorough Queen.

I stan a thorough Queen.
    I just try to pass on my knowledge of my girl Ray.
    I wish they could have left her be after she got back (aka her mind fully healed and free from Ahab and Mojo's programming). Thanks Yost......

Fantastic Member

To bad, the editorial team have severed her ties to the Phoenix. She look glorious even with just a fragment of the Phoenix Force. She was the answer to a lot of their problems with the force but they like to downplay her history and potential contribution. Hope was pretty much a Rachel Summers story redo. I wish her upcoming writer knows how to write her and move her characterization forward.

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    Excalibur, I can't remember the exact issue number, but it was 60+ for sure.

Rachel/Phoenix had to fight Necrom/Anti-Phoenix, during the fight Rachel realized they couldn't beat each other, they were two equally matched. However, it was like anti-matter they can cancel each other out. So Rachel embraced him and allowed the two forces to full interact with each other and both Rachel and Necrom were completely destroyed.

But Phoenix is a being of Life > Death > Rebirth and she can be reborn. After the explosion the Phoenix rose from her ashes, and she had preserved all of Rachel's memories and core identity, Phoenix then proceeded to create a brand new body for Rachel. However, it would take a little while for the new body to be fully complete so Phoenix had to put Rachel into kind of a suspended state while she ran the show for a while. For a bit Rachel was in a coma, but Jean and Charles went into her mind and they discovered that Phoenix was protecting the infant core of Rachel inside of Rachel's body, like an egg. After they forced the Phoenix to talk to them, she finally revealed the absolute truth about Rachel, Rachel is from a different universe where all the X-Men are dead and she is the lone survivor. The Phoenix detected Rachel and Kate trying to change the past in the 616 and she followed them back to the 811 by attaching herself to Rachel's astral cronoskim projection. Phoenix then learned everything about Rachel's world from Kate. Phoenix explained to Excalibur, Jean, and Charles how Kate and Phoenix made a last run against the Sentinel High Command to blow up the Nimrod project. It was a suicide mission, but Kate's plan was that the resulting explosion would hide the energy signature of a portal and Phoenix could take Rachel to the 616 universe and hopefully the Sentinels would not be able to follow. The mission mostly succeeded, however, Nimrod came online in time to follow Phoenix/Rachel through the portal, and Kate actually survived but her body was out of phase with reality. The Sentinels found her and they realized that there was a multi-dimensional portal opened at the Nimrod facility. Kate was hooked up to some equipment so they could try to open a portal to 616, however, during the experiments a Sentinel and Kate were fused together into one being which became Widget and it went to the 616. The Sentinels were able to eventually send Ahab and his team to the 616 a while later to attack the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Rachel in an attempt to either kill or convert to hounds Rachel, Franklin, and baby Nathan.

Anyway, the Phoenix explained all of Rachel's origins and then she said that Rachel was still being rebuilt and not ready to come back yet so she took Rachel's "egg" inside of her construct Rachel body and Phoenix flew out into space to take care of Rachel away from anyone who would pose a threat to her. Phoenix ended up fighting Galactus because she was trying to be a hero like Rachel and Jean, but Galactus talked her down by making Phoenix realize that when she uses her powers at those levels she is siphoning off potential future life in the Universe because Phoenix is connected to all of the potential for life in the entire Universe, she is the embodiment of Life!

Phoenix left Galactus and she concentrated on completing Rachel's rebirth and then she fully bonded herself with Rachel and limited her abilities so that Rachel wouldn't accidentally use too much power. This is why when Rachel returned she was the Phoenix, but her powers were a bit more evened out because the Phoenix put some checks in place so that the future potential of Life wouldn't be drained by using the Phoenix Force.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Excalibur, I can't remember the exact issue number, but it was 60+ for sure.
    It was issue 50. Like for reals. Rachel came back to Excalibur in the mid 60's at the end of that warpie story in the DP outfit, but she battled Necrom in issue 50. It was double-sized and she was on the cover.

Rachel/Phoenix had to fight Necrom/Anti-Phoenix, during the fight Rachel realized they couldn't beat each other, they were two equally matched. However, it was like anti-matter they can cancel each other out. So Rachel embraced him and allowed the two forces to full interact with each other and both Rachel and Necrom were completely destroyed.

But Phoenix is a being of Life > Death > Rebirth and she can be reborn. After the explosion the Phoenix rose from her ashes, and she had preserved all of Rachel's memories and core identity, Phoenix then proceeded to create a brand new body for Rachel.
    That is not what happened at all. See the above images I posted. You're right that they were evenly matched, that one couldn't win over the other as Necrom was using the stolen PF in his body to draw from Rachel. Knowing his powers of absorption/draining happen by touch, she sacrificed herself by physically attacking him so he would drain her to access the PF. She ordered the PF to let him have the full power of the Phoenix and he exploded for the power. The PF rejoiced as being reunited with it's stolen parts for a moment during the explosion. Rachel was drained into a mummy/husk and her body was left floating lifeless in space. When Roma brought her back the Phoenix had rebuilt her body and placed her into a coma.

Fantastic Member

Another new week and no sign of Rachel. Can't wait for X-Factor. Better not disappoint.

The artist is ok and Rachel looks cute, but holy that downward arrow is unfortunate, and the boots are so not Rachel.

Hopefully David Baldeón gives us a much better look for Rachel as X-Factor progresses as a series. I just need to see Rachel being the badass butch lesbian she was always meant to be!! Lol, the turkey coat look was pretty iconic, but so was the later blue phoenix stage where she looked absolutely awesome!

We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

With rare exception (Pheonix costume) Rachel's outfits have been almost as bad as Kitty's.

The blue Phoenix look is my favorite. I hate the turkey coat with all my heart, but maybe a middle ground between her WATXM look sans coat and Blue Phoenix would be the best way to go.

I think her Phoenix Echo/Starjammers and non-trench look are my favorite costumes, but her red Hound/Phoenix is also amazing and full of nostalgia for me. I would say that that it's a toss up of Prestige vol.1 or the Marvel Girl outfit are my least favorite. Phoenix vol1, Phoenix/Dark Phoenix vol 2, and even danskins are in the middle of the road for me. Her Revenant look was also great.

Meanwhile it looks like Leah Williams has already created a "Rachel Grey" playlist she listens to as she writes Rachel.