Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I think her Phoenix Echo/Starjammers and non-trench look are my favorite costumes, but her red Hound/Phoenix is also amazing and full of nostalgia for me. I would say that that it's a toss up of Prestige vol.1 or the Marvel Girl outfit are my least favorite. Phoenix vol1, Phoenix/Dark Phoenix vol 2, and even danskins are in the middle of the road for me. Her Revenant look was also great.

Meanwhile it looks like Leah Williams has already created a "Rachel Grey" playlist she listens to as she writes Rachel.
    I wanna know what a Rachel Grey playlist sounds like!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

EP5xZIGXkAAbpun.jpg
    Here it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    that's crazy, i literally was coming up with songs for a rachel grey playlist minutes before i saw this post. great tracks there

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The blue Phoenix look is my favorite. I hate the turkey coat with all my heart, but maybe a middle ground between her WATXM look sans coat and Blue Phoenix would be the best way to go.
    That should work. Without the coat the costume is not bad and adding something from the blue phoenix costume would be great. It is one of my favs too.

BANNED

Uncanny X-Men #189 Jan 1985
    "Two Girls Out to Have Fun!" Guest-starring Magma of the New Mutants.
    Rachel Summers and the New Mutant known as Magma take some time together to bond and see the sights that New York City has to offer.
    As they visit that Statue of Liberty, all Rachel can recall is the apocalyptic future she comes from where mutants are hunted down
    and where she spent a brief time as a "Hound", mutants forced to hunt other mutants by the repressive and anti-mutant government that runs her world.
    She recalls how one time she was brought out into the bay to track down mutants who were gunned down.
    When the memory makes her begin to cry, Amara asks her what's wrong and Rachel shrugs it off as being "something" in her eye.

Meanwhile, aboard the sailing ship Norway, Storm is bidding farewell to her fellow X-Men as she takes a leave of absence
    to return to her native Africa to determine what to do with her life now that her powers have been taken away.
    As the group enjoys champagne, they all have a tearful good-bye, Storm tells Nightcrawler to send her love to Kitty.

As Rachel and Amara continue their sight seeing, Miguel Rodriguez continues his daily labors, hauling fish on a dock.
    When he walks past the changing room, he spots some of his co-workers snooping in his locker.
    Miguel swats them away to see that the amulet he found earlier is still there.
    When it begins talking once more, offering him untold power, he rejects it, feeling that it is evil, and slams his locker door shut.

As Rachel and Amara exit the New York Metropolitan Museum, Rachel detects Selene's thought patterns.
    Rachel and Amara decide to follow her. The two track their mutual enemy to the gates of the Hellfire Club.

The two sneak in and put on some maids outfits so that they can snoop around.
    As it turns out, Selene has come to the Hellfire Club to petition for membership as the new Black Queen.
    Sebastian Shaw is hardly impressed, and tells her that it is a position that must be earned.
    Selene gives him a show of her powers, animating the ground around him and almost crushing him.
    Deciding that she will prove to him her worth, even though Shaw realizes that she would likely seize control of the Hellfire Club from him
    she teleports away to bring him a present. Left alone, Tessa asks Shaw if he will admit her into the club.
    Shaw tells her that, given the circumstances, he may have little choice in the matter.

Upstairs, Rachel continues to pose as a maid when she is approached by who she thinks is Selene and lashes out with a psi-blast.

It turns out to be an illusion and that she had really attacked Amara. She is then caught from behind by Selene,
    who uses her powers to enslave both Rachel and Amara and bring them to Sebastian Shaw.
    Upon doing so, Tessa silently remarks how Rachel has a striking resemblance to Jean Grey.

Deep inside Rachel's mind, she struggles to free herself, not wishing to become someone's slave, and manages to break Selene's hold on her.
    Establishing a psi-link with Amara, she struggles with her to free her from Selene's control as well.
    Forcing her to use her powers in the psychic plane that has been created causes Amara to snap free from Selene's control.
    The two mutants then battle Selene. However they are easily over powered. Before things can escalate further,
    Colossus, Rogue and Nightcrawler arrive. Nightcrawler teleports Selene away, and the mental projection of Professor X appears
    and demands to know what's going on. When Amara insists on getting revenge on Selene, Xavier tells her to stand down.
    When Shaw tells the X-Men that he has no quarrel with them and that kidnapping Rachel and Amara was not his idea,
    the X-Men decide to depart without further incident. When Rachel asks if her psychic SOS helped the X-Men locate her,
    Xavier points her attention to the outside, where damage caused from Magma's powers were visibly evident.

Elsewhere, Jamie Rodriguez waits for a subway train after his busy day at work, listening to the latest news broadcast regarding
    Dazzler's outing as a mutant and the continued debate over the Mutant Control Act that is working its way through Congress.
    As he listens, he doesn't notice a mugger sneak up being him and stab him with a knife from behind.
    As Jamie collapses to the ground, the thief grabs the amulet that has dropped out of his pockets.
    Upon doing so, it releases the forces trapped inside and begins engulfing the entire subway platform with Eldridge fire, the start of a terrible transformation.

Story by Chris Claremont. Art by John Romita, Jr. and Dan Green.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Notice the wonderful low-angle shot in the last panel!

What a wonderful creativity in the design of the panels that makes the whole page quite dynamic!
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

is Rachel’s stint in Uncanny before she joined Excalibur collected in any trades?

Edit: I believe the issues were #184 to somewhere in the 200s

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    is Rachel’s stint in Uncanny before she joined Excalibur collected in any trades?

Edit: I believe the issues were #184 to somewhere in the 200s
    Something that always messes with me are the circumstances by which she leaves the X-Men. She's sorta a team member who goes off half-cocked from time to time, gets self-righteously shivved by Wolverine, and somehow ends up in Mojoverse until Excalibur.

Anyone care to explain to me how when why whaaa?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Something that always messes with me are the circumstances by which she leaves the X-Men. She's sorta a team member who goes off half-cocked from time to time, gets self-righteously shivved by Wolverine, and somehow ends up in Mojoverse until Excalibur.

She literally just walked out of the book. Maybe someone in editorial didn’t like her. There were a few higher ups over the years that absolutely despised anything related to the Summers family

Was she that popular in the beginning? I’ve seen people wanting to complain that writers didn’t have a handle on her character until she was in Excalibur, by how she was obsessed with Jean and always calling Scott dad and stuff, and kind of acting like a hardass, but I feel like it all made sense, everything she went through before even going to the past, what she eventually discovers in the past (no Jean, but Madelyn instead), and finding out she would never come to exist on top of that, it’s a lot and I think her characterization was totally justified

She literally just walked out of the book.
    Thank you!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Below

She literally just walked out of the book. Maybe someone in editorial didn’t like her. There were a few higher ups over the years that absolutely despised anything related to the Summers family

Was she that popular in the beginning? I’ve seen people wanting to complain that writers didn’t have a handle on her character until she was in Excalibur, by how she was obsessed with Jean and always calling Scott dad and stuff, and kind of acting like a hardass, but I feel like it all made sense, everything she went through before even going to the past, what she eventually discovers in the past (no Jean, but Madelyn instead), and finding out she would never come to exist on top of that, it’s a lot and I think her characterization was totally justified
    SO. Rachel is an interesting case as she is around the X-Men for almost 15 issues before she is allowed to become a full fledged member of team, which is when she adopts the imagery and moniker of Phoenix. Note that in the earlier crossover of X-Men and Alpha Flight she had several "Phoenix-y" imagery that was building to issue 199 when she goes full Phoenix. Immediately following is the X-Men/New Mutants/Asgardian crossover, then into issue 200. Then we are drawn into Secret Wars II, where Rachel has a slightly prominent role. During that she is given full control and unfettered access to the Phoenix by the Beyonder, and decides to use the souls of everyone to destroy him. Some say yes, others Rachel just takes. She ends up stepping down but no one trusts her afterwards. Which then having severe PTSD already from DoFP and her time as a hound, she decides that Selene needs to die after seeing her kill someone else. Wolverine arrives (having shared dreams with Rachel), and guts Ray to stop her from becoming Jean/Dark Phoenix. She manages to escape into the park where near dying Spiral finds her and offers her health and a new life of love and happiness if she goes with her. And off she goes to the Mojoverse til Excalibur is born.

So to answer the original question, Rachel is written out of the X-books because X-Factor is now in print. Which means that Jean is back. Which means that the clone stand-in and the alt-daughter (who was her legacy character) need to go or be demonized. Because Jean can't see Maddie in person. And she certainly can't see Rachel who is the Phoenix. It's inconvenient to have either around now that Jean is back. So Rachel/Phoenix needs to leave. Which is unfortunate as he literally just made Rachel 'Phoenix', and now she has to go. So begins the unraveling of her in X-Men and out of the books. he had scripted a mini, that was initially approved, to give readers a better understanding of her past and what she was up to in the Mojoverse. But it got canceled before the first issue was even penciled. Eventually Claremont is allowed to bring her back when Excalibur starts because they will be in the UK and in the multiverse so they can't affect anything with Jean or the X-Men.

This is the first of a few instances where Rachel was removed for Jean reasons. I don't say that with malice or anything sour, it's just what editorially did. I'm almost positive that there was a mandate that Jean and Rachel weren't allowed to really interact for the longest time, with a few noticeable exceptions until Red.

So the Wolvie-shiv leads directly to Spiral taking Rachel to Mojoverse.

The Berlanti-verse has some sloppy send-offs but this is pretty wretched.

I am actually on the side of editorial wanting space between the characters, especially since Jean's brand suggests nostalgia and optimism and Rachel's suggests trauma and ferocity. But I'm full of wrathful rewrites and I'm here for the answers. Thanks again!

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I have always wanted for Jean and Rachel to interact more because Rachel while her own diferent character is also Jean's original legacy character.
    It think it is criminal they do 't interact more because they have so much in common and at the same time some clear differences. Maybe some people could notice the diferences more if they did. Also because I love how much Rachel thinks of Jean and feel that someone as nice as Jean should also appreciate Rachel a lot.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I am actually on the side of editorial wanting space between the characters, especially since Jean's brand suggests nostalgia and optimism and Rachel's suggests trauma and ferocity. But I'm full of wrathful rewrites and I'm here for the answers. Thanks again!
    If posible, could you expand your thoughts to me?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    If posible, could you expand your thoughts to me?
    I've gone on at length in other Rachel-centric threads about my preference for Rachel's on-page interactions to be with other characters than "family time" with the Summers'. She's one of my favorite characters but she is only a character.

I need a bit more understanding of what exactly you're asking me to discuss?
    Last edited by CRaymond; 02-06-2020 at 05:25 PM.