Page 141 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 2205

I need to read Jeff Parker’s Red Hulk stuff still since that apparently salvaged the character. I only know him as Loeb’s Villain Sue.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I need to read Jeff Parker’s Red Hulk stuff still since that apparently salvaged the character. I only know him as Loeb’s Villain Sue.
    It was really, really good!

The thing is: even though Ross himself is an important character from Hulk's history, the Red Hulk himself stopped being a threat after Duggan's Omega Hulk story, imo. Unless, of course, something radical is done to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    It was really, really good!

The thing is: even though Ross himself is an important character from Hulk's history, the Red Hulk himself stopped being a threat after Duggan's Omega Hulk story, imo. Unless, of course, something radical is done to him.
    Sweet more Hulk stuff to read (even if it is Ross instead of Banner). I’ll check it out. Jeff Parker seems to be a highly underrated writer, he was a great follow up to Johns’ run on Aquaman, so I know he produces quality. Shame he never did a run on the big man himself.

Sweet more Hulk stuff to read (even if it is Ross instead of Banner). I’ll check it out. Jeff Parker seems to be a highly underrated writer, he was a great follow up to Johns’ run on Aquaman, so I know he produces quality. Shame he never did a run on the big man himself.
    He's totally underrated, man. He's a great writer. Within a few issues, He creates an awesome rogues gallery for Ross; you'll see.

Gabriel Hardman's art is amazing too, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyDemonic View Post
    That’s an interesting hypothesis, now that you mention it. I wonder if it’s intentional as well. Like, maybe the more that Joe matures and evolves, the more that Savage hulk regresses psychologically. It’s also telling that there are more instances of Savage Hulk crying when his personality is in the mindscape, while he’s either being beaten or mistreated in the real world.
    I almost feel it was a mistake saying with authority that most Green Hulks are the same. The angry child is a fairly broad charaqcter space, and I feel like the story would be served just as well if the semi-surly LEAVE HULK ALONE and the big baby in the purple diaper lookalike weren't presumed to be the same. Maybe we'll go back to the hundreds of Hulks from Jenkins run. Maybe the base peronas can branch? Would fit with the recurring tree symbolism.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TCHRISJ View Post
    So we're not gonna talk about Red Hulk's return?
    Attachment 103247
    Anyways I wonder if he'll show up in Immortal Hulk, probably not since there's like 9 issues left (supposedly)
    I like the character, but wow, that was bad.

At first I was thinking, "Oh, he's going to die and get resurrected.." but nope.

And the writer gets so many things wrong -- "a freak accident turned Thaddeus Ross into the Red Hulk. Supposedly, he'd been cured." Cap knows Ross turned himself into a Hulk. He was a traitor which is touched upon in the beginning but abandoned. And while some might like the moustache, with the human face it looks wrong. He needs to be more monstrous, not Red Superman with a moustache

Ah well, we'll see where it goes. At least now they can have a Hulk for writers to play with, while leaving She Hulk and Immortal alone.

EDIT:
    I do like the theory of Savage regressing.. all this interaction with his dad HAS to be bringing up memories he's buried and having to confront them without the tools adults have.. of course he's gonna regress. Like I said it's great to see the alters coming together naturally -- it's like what Samson SHOULD have done if he had time and help from someone like Xavier.
    Last edited by Cth; 12-16-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Coates has no idea about what He's writing.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I almost feel it was a mistake saying with authority that most Green Hulks are the same. The angry child is a fairly broad charaqcter space, and I feel like the story would be served just as well if the semi-surly LEAVE HULK ALONE and the big baby in the purple diaper lookalike weren't presumed to be the same. Maybe we'll go back to the hundreds of Hulks from Jenkins run. Maybe the base peronas can branch? Would fit with the recurring tree symbolism.
    It’s ironic that you mentioned how the savage and mindless hulks are viewed as just slight variations on the same base personality. I’m reading the new hulk epic collection trade, “ going Gray “, which depicts them as just that. In my mind, I always viewed the mindless hulk as representing Bruce as a baby. The mindless hulk is able to express himself and is capable of learning and growing, as shown in the crossroads saga.

I wouldn’t want a return to the 100 of Hulks idea from Jenkins run. It took the DID concept to absurd levels.

Spectacular Member

Parker’s Red Hulk run is a total 180 when compared against Loeb’s Michael Bay style of storytelling. Parker really gave Ross depth and motivation beyond just hating and hunting Bruce, and he made me a fan of the character.
    It’s well worth a read. If Red Hulk had been written this way from the beginning( and hadn’t been overexposed right out of the gate), He could be as popular as other “ legacy “ characters like Miles.

Parker’s Red Hulk run is a total 180 when compared against Loeb’s Michael Bay style of storytelling. Parker really gave Ross depth and motivation beyond just hating and hunting Bruce, and he made me a fan of the character.
    It’s well worth a read. If Red Hulk had been written this way from the beginning( and hadn’t been overexposed right out of the gate), He could be as popular as other “ legacy “ characters like Miles.
    That statement intrigues me. I know Ross basically became a “hero” over time, but you guys would want him to become a full on co-Hulk with Banner, as opposed to a Venom-esque “dark rival”?

I didn't even think most of the Hulks were part of the DID system; Guilt Hulk seemed to be some kind of manifestation of normal parts of Bruce's pyche through the lens of the Hulk system. I liked that implication.

IGN's Best Comic Book Series of 2020: People's Choice!

You can vote for Immortal Hulk here:

http://bit.ly/3aqfl8K

Incredible Member

It’s ironic that you mentioned how the savage and mindless hulks are viewed as just slight variations on the same base personality. I’m reading the new hulk epic collection trade, “ going Gray “, which depicts them as just that. In my mind, I always viewed the mindless hulk as representing Bruce as a baby. The mindless hulk is able to express himself and is capable of learning and growing, as shown in the crossroads saga.
    I read Marvel Fanfare #29 (essentially, the last issue of Byrne's run) as proving that the Mindless Hulk was Savage Hulk, but unable to calm down because he was essentially brain-damaged from the lack of the rest of his mind. It was like someone was shooting him full of aggression-inducing drugs constantly. When the disguised Scourge in that story doped him with "Neurotranquilzing vapors" to counteract that, he temporarily reverted to something more like type.

(Of course, Byrne didn't buy the MPD/DID thing as an explanation for the Hulk, even in his post-PAD run years later when the principle had been very firmly established indeed.)

Spectacular Member

#41 was excellent. What a good use of The Thing. Fantastic Four 25 and 26 are among my favorite Silver Age comics so I always love a Hulk/Thing story. The two characters have been compared to one another since Fantastic Four #5 (!) so it is great that Ewing found a way to bring Ben Grimm to his Hulk magnum opus. The idea that Ben, who can be a bit self-pitying, has come to a realization that he's not suffered the way Bruce/Hulk has, and that's because the Thing always had his family supporting him, is a beautiful idea. I hope that whatever Ewing is building to incorporates the Thing into the finale as I think this sets that up perfectly.

And what is there to be said about Joe Bennet's art? Remember when he was the generic fill-in artist for the late 90s Spider-Man books? What a leap he has taken artistically. I see some critics complain his art is static at times but I don't see that. He does magnificent horror (the arms being healed was a real squirm moment) but was also able to bring out real characterizations from Ben and the Hulk, not the easiest characters to have emote.

Just more excellence from this team.

I know PAD will always be to the Hulk what Claremont was to the X-Men. That's inevitable given how long his run was and how something like that will just not ever happen again. But I really do think Ewing's work has surpassed PAD. I mean, without PAD's work Ewing couldn't have done half the stories he's written, so he's incredibly indebted to Peter David, but I really think Ewing is on a whole other level. How lucky we are that these two will get to tell their complete story, with minimal interference from other book's crossovers and such (I love how they are just using one-shots to interact with things like Absolute Carnage and King in Black).

This book is such a pleasure.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I didn't even think most of the Hulks were part of the DID system; Guilt Hulk seemed to be some kind of manifestation of normal parts of Bruce's pyche through the lens of the Hulk system. I liked that implication.
    Yeah. I’m surprised that we haven’t seen the guilt Hulk in the mindscape (yet) . Probably because Bruce hasn’t realized that the level of death that the Leader caused in that town when he overloaded the hulk with gamma. Savage hulk was devastated by the incident, but most likely, the guilt Hulk can’t be active unless Bruce is part of the system.