Page 1 of 131 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Young Avengers Appreciation 2020

New year, new thread, and while there's still no new book, at least this time we KNOW the team members are getting used!

Young Avengers Assemble!

Roster, original team:
    Hawkeye, Kate Bishop
    Wiccan, Billy Kaplan, formerly Asgardian
    Hulkling, Teddy Altman
    Speed, Tommy Shepherd
    Stinger, Cassie Lang, formerly Stature
    Iron Lad, Nathaniel Richards
    Vision, Jonas
    Patriot, Eli Bradley

New members, volume 2:
    Ms America Chavez
    Loki Laufeyson
    Marvel Boy, Noh-Varr
    Prodigy, David Alleyne
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Happy New Year! I was trying to find some piece of art featuring everyone who's been a member to post on the first page and found this cuteness:

(I'm assuming that's a Cris-Art fanart. The watermark was cut out and I couldn't find the original anywhere, but it looks like her work)

Also, Twitter brought this to my attention: https://twitter.com/Hulking_ebooks/s...11475322105857

I guess this is the closest thing we have to Young Avengers merch these days, isn't it?

Happy New Year!

Great things ahead for our YAs, I can feel it!

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Happy New Year! I was trying to find some piece of art featuring everyone who's been a member to post on the first page and found this cuteness:

(I'm assuming that's a Cris-Art fanart. The watermark was cut out and I couldn't find the original anywhere, but it looks like her work)
    Yep that's Cris-Art, she amusingly had a whole narrative to go along with it, how the team were all real world actors portraying themselves on tv with backstories into their personal lives and careers and everything, it took me there.

I actually became a Pateron of hers recently and I'm still working through her vast collection, feels like Marvel should hire her already after all her years of devotion.

Loving Strikeforce with Billy and cautiously optimistic about Teddy role in the upcoming Empyre, I mean they're already employing the fake-out early with the notion of him turning bad right at the start so they wouldn't have him really go full Civil War Tony/Carol dictator mode half way through for the sake contrived drama right?... right?

At the very least it's good they're finally expanding on that prophecy after all these years and giving Teddy a story to call his own, I've always liked him and Billy but felt they were too defined as a couple and not enough as their own individuals, with Teddy getting much shorter end of the stick in that regard.

It's actually one of the things I'm grateful for in the MCU as since they'll likely be introduced separately they'll actually need to be developed by themselves first and the journey of how they fell in love with each other be something actually depicted.

Hopefully the rumours of new YA title prove true though like others I'm not sure about them potentially having it be a mix of them and Champions, I mean I'm eager to see Viv meet and have significant interaction with Billy and Tommy but it sounds like a recipe that'll leave fans of both teams ultimately disappointed as you can't have everyone.

Also I'm really starting to worry Eli will ultimately be excluded from the MCU at this point, almost everyone else is either confirmed or rumored but the show we all expected he'd debut in is well into production with no casting news.

I just hope if it is it's mainly do to the right issue regarding the Bradley family name but a part of me suspects Disney just wants to sidestep a story that involves black kid and drug abuse or sadly more likely find Eli's anger and his tendency to call-out America's racist history and systematic discrimination of black people "the wrong message for black America".

To qoute Orlando Jones after his recent firing from American Gods when his character Mr. Nancy was removed due to having similar tendencies.
    Last edited by walk; 01-01-2020 at 10:34 AM.

The announcement of Outlawed all but rebuked any suggestion of a YA Champions merger, because Eve Ewing immediately confirmed it was a new take on the Champions. So the established Champs aren't joining the YAs.

And they might just not want two patriotic themed characters on a MCU YA team and have gone with America Chavez instead.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The announcement of Outlawed all but rebuked any suggestion of a YA Champions merger, because Eve Ewing immediately confirmed it was a new take on the Champions. So the established Champs aren't joining the YAs.

And they might just not want two patriotic themed characters on a MCU YA team and have gone with America Chavez instead.
    Isn't Outlaw just the event though? we still don't actually know what book or books will spin-off out of it or who will be on what but like I said "Why not both?"

Also in what world would Chavez be considered a member of the Captain America family or be an equivalent to Eli in terms of role or power-set, she has nothing to do with any of the associated characters, if Eli was to be replaced it'd likely be by Rayshuan Lucas.

Though with my luck it would be her if it was someone I guess, can someone explain the appeal of Ms. Chavez to me as I've read both YJ volume 2 and the Ultimates and still just do not like this character.

She seems to be just a walking sterotype of "Spicy Latina"/tough girl with little else to her.

Whatever Substance America had she lost with that solo from hell. She got a little back in West Coast but that tanked. If I had to pick I'd go Eli over her or Rayshaun any day he's a legacy who can do anything Rayshaun can do if not better. And America doesn't really bring much to the team either, Billy can teleport, Teddy is super strong and the average marvel superhero can kick things.

Happy New Year to the Young Avengers .

Billy doesn't feel written well in Strikeforce at all. Honestly any LGBT guy Tini Howard touches gets messed up.

I am hoping to see where things go with Teddy in Empyre though. And definitely hoping the rest of his team and family get to pop in. Even with Strikeforce nonsense, this seems like something that should drawn Billy's attention.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Just a friendly reminder that with WandaVision arriving on Disney+ earlier than expected, that means we may potentially be introduced to MCU Billy and Tommy (or at least something that lays a groundwork for their origin) THIS YEAR!

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    It's actually one of the things I'm grateful for in the MCU as since they'll likely be introduced separately they'll actually need to be developed by themselves first and the journey of how they fell in love with each other be something actually depicted.
    Yeah, I'm pretty interested to see how they're going to be introduced in the MCU, and specially how they're going to be introduced to each other. I've always wondered about their origin as a couple and I hope the MCU actually gets to do that build up to it instead of just kind of throwing the founding Young Avengers on our faces like they did in the comics (which was not necessarily a bad thing, IMO, but I think a different approach for the movies/shows would be interesting).

Hopefully the rumours of new YA title prove true though like others I'm not sure about them potentially having it be a mix of them and Champions, I mean I'm eager to see Viv meet and have significant interaction with Billy and Tommy but it sounds like a recipe that'll leave fans of both teams ultimately disappointed as you can't have everyone.
    I'm trying not to get my hopes up, 'cause back in late 2018 we had the same talk about a YA reunion in 2019, which turned out to be literally one page on Marvel Comics #1000. So I'm keeping my expectations low this time around in case it turns out to be something like that again. And like I said before, I'm ok with one or two Champions members joining the team, but not anything that feels like the focus is being taken away from it being an actual YA book.

Also I'm really starting to worry Eli will ultimately be excluded from the MCU at this point, almost everyone else is either confirmed or rumored but the show we all expected he'd debut in is well into production with no casting news.
    Well, there are no news or rumors about Nate/Iron Lad either, as far as I'm concerned, so Eli is not the only founding member who's ''missing'' from the MCU right now. And to be fair, I think fans might have jumped the gun in assuming that he would be in Falcon & The Winter Soldier. It was a lot safer to expect Billy and Tommy's origin story to be explored in WandaVision or Kate to be introduced in Hawkeye because they have an actual important connection to the titular characters, and Eli doesn't have that same connection to Bucky or Sam. It's also possible that the show WILL introduce the Bradley family, but we just don't know about it yet. There's a lot that we don't know, after all. And I'll bring this up again: Ryan Coogler said he almost used Eli on Black Panther, so the character is definitely on Marvel Studios' radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I wouldn't say the rumor is debunked for sure, 'cause ''new take on the Champions'' doesn't confirm the Champions will continue as they were. If anything, it points at the team being taken into a new direction. And remember, we were promised a ''titanic division'', so it's still possible that in the wake of Outlawed, the Champions will be broken up, and what Eve will do is simply launch a new book of a new team (maybe even with a new name) spinning off of Outlawed, with other characters who didn't make the cut having to find a new home. That could lead to a merger with the Young Avengers like BleedingCool reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Whatever Substance America had she lost with that solo from hell. She got a little back in West Coast but that tanked. If I had to pick I'd go Eli over her or Rayshaun any day he's a legacy who can do anything Rayshaun can do if not better. And America doesn't really bring much to the team either, Billy can teleport, Teddy is super strong and the average marvel superhero can kick things.
    Well, Eli is a bigger priority to me simply because he came first. I think it just makes sense for him to make his MCU debut before America. And I don't even take Rayshaun into consideration because, let's be real, the only reason Marvel created him was because they couldn't use Eli at the time, and they can now. No offense to the guy, but yeah, I don't think anyone is fighting to get him in the MCU over Eli or America.

As for America, I think her contributions to the team were more important in terms of dynamic and character development than just powerset. She was a natural antagonist to Kid Loki and was basically there to keep an eye on him, since she was the only one who knew what he was up to. She was extremely important to expand Billy's mythology as a character, after all, her very origin story is intrinsically tied to the Demiurge reveal. And her friendship with Kate turned out to be a solid relationship that has carried on to other books. So yeah, I do think America was a nice addition to the team, and I think she would be a nice addition to the MCU too, just not at the very beginning of the team's existence there. Much like the comics, she is a character that works better in a sequel.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 01-01-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I was late getting into YA vol 2 so when I saw everyone hyping up this new new girl Chavez I was intrgued only to find this really generic, seemingly one-note character, I just couldn't fathom where all the praise and excitement was coming from.

I avoived her solo as I heard it was terrible but it at least gave us some hilarious memes.

Honstly the most interesting thing about her was the time when she briefly teleported through Cyclops eye-beam dimension.

Well, there are no news or rumors about Nate/Iron Lad either, as far as I'm concerned, so Eli is not the only founding member who's ''missing'' from the MCU right now. And to be fair, I think fans might have jumped the gun in assuming that he would be in Falcon & The Winter Soldier. It was a lot easier to expect Billy and Tommy's origin story to be explored in WandaVision or Kate to be introduced in Hawkeye because they have an actual important connection to the titular characters, and Eli doesn't have that same connection to Bucky or Sam. It's also possible that the show WILL introduce the Bradley family, but we just don't know about it yet. There's a lot that we don't know, after all. And I'll bring this up again: Ryan Coogler said he almost used Eli on Black Panther, so the character is definitely on Marvel Studios' radar.

Considering Eli story and motivation literally deals with his granfather time as Captain America being hidden from the public and denied the proper recognition it deserved and now with Sam set to take the title himself as the first offically recongized black Captain America I think it's perfect time to introduce him seeing as the poltics and drama of legacy of the title and what it means to hold it seems to be a big theme in the series.

As for Iron Lad/Nate I suspect those predictions of him being combined into Harley Keener prove correct, they'd likely want to simplify his origin without having to go into Kang/ Evil altenate future self right away.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Billy doesn't feel written well in Strikeforce at all. Honestly any LGBT guy Tini Howard touches gets messed up.

I am hoping to see where things go with Teddy in Empyre though. And definitely hoping the rest of his team and family get to pop in. Even with Strikeforce nonsense, this seems like something that should drawn Billy's attention.
    I'm gonna go on a limb a guess both you Journey have had disagreements over Tini Howard and her depiction of Billy as I heard the exact oppostite take from him over on the Strikeforce Appreciation page.

Anyway I just say what I said there I don't think Tini either reinvented the Wiccan wheel or did our magic boy a some massive disservice, she just made him a bit gayer.

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    I'm gonna go on a limb a guess both you Journey have had disagreements over Tini Howard and her depiction of Billy as I heard the exact oppostite take from him over on the Strikeforce Appreciation page.

Anyway I just say what I said there I don't think Tini either reinvented the Wiccan wheel or did our magic boy a some massive disservice, she just made him a bit gayer.
    Nah I don't really care enough to argue/"have disagreements" about a comic. Perfectly understandable for others not to agree with my opinion. *shrugs*