Cover Date: March 1984
    Sale Date: December 8th, 1983
    Writer: Bill Mantlo
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Gerry Talaoc
    Letterer: Clem Robbins
    Colorist: Bob Sharen

Editor: Ann Nocenti

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Kate Waynesboro, Matt Murdok, Reed Richards and the Thing.
    Synopsis: Returning from Mexico, Bruce Banner is the target of an assassination attempt by a disgruntled man for destroying his hometown during his days as the savage Hulk. The FF, having decided to move out of the Baxter Building, extend an offer to Banner to use Reed Richards' scientific equipment, and he has a brief encounter with the Beyonder via a gamma surge. More nightmares plague Banner at night, and the issue ends with Banner deciding to drop the charges and rebuild the town of Hadleyville.
    Commentary: A nice gesture for Banner to rebuild the town, but seems a bit unrealistic. Sal and Gerry are still in the awkward phase of their pairing. It gets better starting next issue…

Guess recently wasn't the first time Hulk rebuilding a town he had a part in destroying didn't go so great.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Also looking at that panel I can't help but think what would've happened had Banner transformed into Hulk the way he does now.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This is why I’m not a fan of long time creators coming back much later to the characters. Most of the time the follow ups are trash, because the character has evolved from when the creator wrote them, or the creator just isn’t as hot as they used to be. Feels like PAD was just phoning this one in for a check.
    My guess is that PAD - like any comics writer - needs money and a paying gig, and since he likely has a higher asking price they probably handed him some concepts that they thought would sell enough to make up the money they're paying him.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

BANNED

The only reason the second mini exists btw is because the first one did really well in sales, at least initially i wouldn't be surprised if after issue 2-3 the sales dropped off significantly but they had already announced the next mini at that point.

This run is riding more on nostalgia and hype than anything else, like you can tell the editors are writing the solicitations for it, with Maestro having the face the most powerful beings in all of creation(please buy our books we promise it's gonna be interesting and not at all underwhelming).

I too was disappointed by the recent Maestro mini-series. I found it to be very underwhelming. I hope the next mini is more engaging. Maestro is one of my favorite Hulk villains and I would like more better written stories featuring him.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

2020 Year in Review: Best Ongoing Series - Multiversity Comics

1. The Immortal Hulk

“The Immortal Hulk” has been Multiversity’s favorite ongoing series for three years running and, honestly, I think this year has been one of its strongest. From reintroducing Xemnu, the Hulk before The Hulk (2 years older, in fact) to bringing The Leader into the mix in a truly horrific way, “Immortal Hulk” has deepened its mythology, its characters, and its commitment to being the only Marvel series published that would almost certainly be a MAX title, were the line still around.

This book is nasty and if you are not into body horror, you will not want to read this series. You will see bodies twist and melt and morph and mutate in the most unnatural of ways and you may even find yourself dry heaving by the end of an issue, that’s how intense it can be. But BUT Ewing, Bennett, José, Mounts, Cowles, Petit and the host of guest artists are such a masterful team that even the most squeamish of you will want to give this series a shot. The composition of these horrific panels are beautiful as well as viscerally unsettling. It’s easy to get sucked into looking at a single panel, just appreciating the intricate details of the inking and the colors.

“Immortal Hulk” is weaving a tale of grand cosmic bullshit, of a man trying to reconcile his awful past with the present he is trapped in, and of trauma and loss and whose rage is accepted and explained away and whose is deemed “abnormal” and “disruptive.” It’s a series that isn’t afraid to get philosophical and mystical but is well aware of when it needs to pull back and just sit with its characters and let them just be. Every new issue deepens some aspect of my understanding of who these people are, of Banner’s alters, or just of some obscure bit of Marvel history without ever making it feel prohibitive.

It’s also funny??? Like, it’s a grim humor but just as often as you’re biting your nails in anticipation or looking away in revulsion or crying from cathartic sadness, you’re laughing your ass off at some joke. Ewing made the ending page of issue #40 a pun, y’all. I DIED when I got there.

Then I saw a green door.

Then I got better
    .- Elias Rosner

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/ne...0-yir-ongoing/

Congrats for winning this against hard competition, team!

CBR Editor Picks: The Best Comics of 2020

THE IMMORTAL HULK (MARVEL)

The Immortal Hulk was already one of Marvel's best comics before 2020. The horror-tinted take on the Jade Giant has been one of the publisher's most engrossing titles since it launched in 2018. It's consistently exciting and thought-provoking, occasionally hilarious and moving, and constantly frightening in a way mainstream superhero comics almost never get to be.

But 2020 saw The Immortal Hulk (somehow) become even more ambitious. It reintroduced the obscure concept of Xemnu and turn him into a painfully relevant observation of modern consumerism and explored the loneliness at the heart of the Hulk as a concept -- while still being terrifying. And there aren't enough words here to describe how the series revitalized the Leader into one of Marvel's most fascinating villains, making him truly horrifying in the process. Al Ewing's writing blends perfectly with Joe Bennett's art to produce one of Marvel's grimmest and grossest books ever, but it's with a sense of purpose and mastery of craft that can't be overstated. It's not often you get to read the modern successor of genre-defining stories like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. It's even rarer for something to surpass those heights. But The Immortal Hulk isn't most comics, it's one of the best.
    - Brandon Zachary

https://www.cbr.com/best-comics-2020-cbr-editor-picks/

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Yildiray Cinar Immortal Hulk variant cover published by Marmara Çizgi (Turkey).

https://twitter.com/ycinar/status/13...742343171?s=20

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Immortal Hulk easily in my top 5 comics of the year. If I think about in depth - it’ll probably take the top spot.

Well done Ewing for making The Leader a terrifying threat. I would never have thought that until now.

Judging by #42's cover looks like it'll deal with Banner & what's left of Devil in the below all. Some of the covers and preview art seem to show Hulk back up to full muscles, so maybe at least Banner escapes.

spoilers:
    Broly wins
    end of spoilers.

BANNED

Does anyone know if IH will be back to being a on a 1-2 comics a month schedule? It seems like they started going that way and then changed it to just 1 a month? Also pushed every issue 1 month later to come out, which is unfortunate, it seems they are trying stretch out IH since it will last another 10 or so issues, meaning it will end in 2021.