Page 62 of 147 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Agree. Ewing has me really hyped for The Leader.

BANNED

I always view General Ross as an antagonist/nuisance that needs to be backed up by his Hulkbusters and tons of superweapons or be transformed into the Red Hulk to be any kind of threat to Hulk.

However, I view The Leader as FAR more dangerous threat and deserves the title of arch-nemesis for Hulk/Banner. He's outsmarted the likes of Dr. Doom, Reed Richards, Hank Pym, T'Challa, Hank McCoy, and even Banner himself on more than one occasion. The Leader is a highly underrated villain and in my opinion he's probably one of the deadliest. I'd definitely rank him alongside the likes of Doom & Thanos in terms of intellect. And this arc in Immortal Hulk is proving how deadly a threat he is... And I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    Where is the first image from? Would be interested to read that story. Also really love that they drew the Hulk with more of Banner's facial features there...it's a subtle touch but one I enjoy.
    The Mantlo Banner Hulk stuff is interesting. It's a bit corny and dated in some parts (It's kind of goofy having the Hulk in a massive lab coat, for one, and the Hulk amnesty parade). But it's a very interesting especially once it gets to the final part, where Bruce starts to unravel due to several circumstances such as the Secret Wars, his gamma research being corrupted, Nightmare etc and becomes worst than ever. Check out the box on the covers for those issues too......
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Mantlo Banner Hulk stuff is interesting. It's a bit corny and dated in some parts (It's kind of goofy having the Hulk in a massive lab coat, for one, and the Hulk amnesty parade). But it's a very interesting especially once it gets to the final part, where Bruce starts to unravel due to several circumstances such as the Secret Wars, his gamma research being corrupted, Nightmare etc and becomes worst than ever. Check out the box on the covers for those issues too......
    I always say that Mantlo's paved the way for the Hulk we have today.The first "really big" change to his mythos. The Banner/Hulk transformation started all the changes the character would in the upcoming years: from Banner's intelligence and control to Mindless Hulk to Grey Hulk, etc..with the writing from Byrne, Milgrom, PAD,Jenkins and now Ewing.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScar1990 View Post
    I always view General Ross as an antagonist/nuisance that needs to be backed up by his Hulkbusters and tons of superweapons or be transformed into the Red Hulk to be any kind of threat to Hulk.

However, I view The Leader as FAR more dangerous threat and deserves the title of arch-nemesis for Hulk/Banner. He's outsmarted the likes of Dr. Doom, Reed Richards, Hank Pym, T'Challa, Hank McCoy, and even Banner himself on more than one occasion. The Leader is a highly underrated villain and in my opinion he's probably one of the deadliest. I'd definitely rank him alongside the likes of Doom & Thanos in terms of intellect. And this arc in Immortal Hulk is proving how deadly a threat he is... And I love it!
    Ross works as a Lex Luthor style rogue. He's a good ongoing secondary antagonist.

I prefer Absorbing man to Abomination.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I hadn't read the very early parts of the run until recently, but I wish more had been done with the fact in the early part that even when Banner was "in control" of the Hulk, if he got too overwhelmed he's shoved into the Hulk persona and then has to "come back", even within the body. That's a fascinating part of the dynamic that really never got explored - once #298 hit he was just an animal with no real battle for control.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Fantastic Member

Immortal Hulk #34, summary:

"I almost got him, a few times. Yeah, I know I got excited and overconfident. But I was just rehearsing for the big one.

I'm really gonna get em, this time. Really. Really I am. Really."

The only thing I want out of this, is for Fixit to be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    Immortal Hulk #34, summary:

"I almost got him, a few times. Yeah, I know I got excited and overconfident. But I was just rehearsing for the big one.

I'm really gonna get em, this time. Really. Really I am. Really."

The only thing I want out of this, is for Fixit to be involved.
    I guess all the incarnations will be involved in the near future. Considering the mess Banner's mindscape is now, ad how much worse it's gonna be...

A large part of how Joe turned out was kind of defined by the Leader and his schemes. The curing of the Rick Hulk and his transformations becoming more frequent; the whole Middletown incident led to him becoming "Joe", and the Countdown arc was one of the last major storylines before the return of the Savage led to the Merged/Professor era.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Ross works as a Lex Luthor style rogue. He's a good ongoing secondary antagonist.

I prefer Absorbing man to Abomination.
    Lex Luthor is Superman's archnemesis, though?

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Lex Luthor is Superman's archnemesis, though?
    I know but i meant it as seperate statements. Most heroes have a lex luthor style rogue in their gallery so Ross fills that niche.

Some of them are the main bad guy, some aren't. I don't think Ross should be Bruce's main villian but he's in the top 5.

Spectacular Member

I know but i meant it as seperate statements. Most heroes have a lex luthor style rogue in their gallery so Ross fills that niche.

Some of them are the main bad guy, some aren't. I don't think Ross should be Bruce's main villian but he's in the top 5.
    I Like The Leader is hulk’s Lex Luther equivalent. Ross is the hulk’s second most personal enemy ( Brian Banner is First) because he’s Because he’s Betty’s dad. But Leader is more powerful, cunning and can play the long game, while also manipulating the Hulk’s psychology to his advantage many times. All hallmark traits of an arch-enemy. It’s often the Leader’s ego that leads to his defeat in most of his battles against Bruce

The thing with Ross is that there were/are characters who basically played similar roles, - rather well, I'd say - like Fortean and Ryker. Leader, specially in the hands of Ewing, has way more potential.

Fantastic Member Venom Melendez's Avatar

Except he's not really a rogue. As was even mentioned in Immortal Hulk, Ross does what he does because he believes the Hulk is a menace, but he doesn't go to extreme that Fortean or Ryker go.

Plus a lot of the time he's a supporting character.

Ross has been everything from enemy to ally, and that’s a testament to his elasticity as a character. I still like Leader the best of all the Hulk rogues though.