Page 14 of 147 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    This looks interesting. I never realized just how big Green-Scar Hulk is. Also, is there a difference between Green-Scar Hulk and World-Breaker Hulk? I always figured they were the same personalities.
    The size of individual Hulks is usually up to the artist, whatever any official ranking says.

The Green Scar is the personality. The Worldbreaker is an Sakaarian concept of the potential of destruction in all beings.

Worldbreaker Hulk is when Hulk has gotten so pissed that his power is out of control, and even a minor action is enough to bust a planet.
    Last edited by Ptrvc; 02-12-2020 at 06:19 AM.

Fantastic Member

The interesting thing is that Green Scar represents Bruce and Hulk United.

Meaning, that implies there's a falling out on the way with Devil.

On the one hand, he'd be depicted as reptilian like in the Carnage tie in. On the other, it's just GS and Devil, no Bruce in sight so it'd be from GSs POV.

Alternately, it could be Fixit getting his Hulk form back too since we're without color. Devil has been kinda ape like in appearance but to be fair so has Fixit.

Fun times ahead.

Imagine GS vs The Leader.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Xemnu is like those 'member berries' from South Park

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    The interesting thing is that Green Scar represents Bruce and Hulk United.
    No, that's Professor (né Merged). Gravage/Green Scar is the Hulks united, if anything.

[Yes, Banner was doing pretty well at working with rather than against GS in the latter part of Pak's run. But that wasn't always the case - hell, GS was the one to get Banner literally cut out of his brain in Aaron's run.]

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    Alternately, it could be Fixit getting his Hulk form back too since we're without color. Devil has been kinda ape like in appearance but to be fair so has Fixit.
    That's actually a bit of a thing for me - Bennett has been drawing the Hulks interchangeably (notably in today's issue, the only difference between Savage & Devil is facial expression, but under the accoutriments and scaling, it applies to the GS preview panel). It would be nice to see some more difference between the Hulks if they're going to be using multiples of them - there's plenty of precedent to draw from.
    Last edited by SanityOrMadness; 02-12-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    No, that's Professor (né Merged). Gravage/Green Scar is the Hulks united, if anything.

[Yes, Banner was doing pretty well at working with rather than against GS in the latter part of Pak's run. But that wasn't always the case - hell, GS was the one to get Banner literally cut out of his brain in Aaron's run.]

That's actually a bit of a thing for me - Bennett has been drawing the Hulks interchangeably (notably in today's issue, the only difference between Savage & Devil is facial expression, but under the accoutriments and scaling, it applies to the GS preview panel). It would be nice to see some more difference between the Hulks if they're going to be using multiples of them - there's plenty of precedent to draw from.
    I disagree. Green Scar is Bruce and Hulk mentally and psychologically United. Just not physically. And even then, maybe they would have gotten to that point down the line. Gravage hulk was even taking on some of Bruce’s facial features during the second half of Pak’s run(similar to Gray Hulk right before the merger; which Betty even comments on). Jason Aaron’s run was a travesty, and only reverted their relationship back to being antagonistic Because Marvel didn’t know what to with Hulk after Pak Left( just like when PAD quit, and the book went back to the old status quo in the very next issue)

But on the topic of the hulks’ appearance in the current book, I’m starting to suspect that the Devil Hulk personality has actually been taking over the savage Hulk’s body this entire time, instead of the other way around. Think about it, every time we’ve seen the Devil switch to Savage and Vice Versa, there’s no physical transformation; only a difference in facial expressions, and even that was totally gone this issue.

If my theory is correct it would explain a lot, like why Savage keeps taking control away From Devil,Even though Devil is supposedly in charge of Bruce’s system. For that matter, If Devil can Suppress Gravage/ Green Scar, who is strongest incarnation physically and has a mental alliance with Bruce, then it makes absolutely no sense that he can’t stop the big guy. Something is clearly up with that...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyDemonic View Post
    I disagree. Green Scar is Bruce and Hulk mentally and psychologically United. Just not physically. And even then, maybe they would have gotten to that point down the line. Gravage hulk was even taking on some of Bruce’s facial features during the second half of Pak’s run(similar to Gray Hulk right before the merger; which Betty even comments on). Jason Aaron’s run was a travesty, and only reverted their relationship back to being antagonistic Because Marvel didn’t know what to with Hulk after Pak Left( just like when PAD quit, and the book went back to the old status quo in the very next issue)
    Well, there are three confirmed spells where Gravage/Green Scar was "the" Hulk. Tail end of PAD I (Post-Onslaught to IH 457), PAD II/Pak I (IH v2 #77 to WWH) and Pak II/Aaron (WWHulks to IH v3 #15). [And, as is standard for the Hulk, there's some unclear spots - in particular, Casey's run, especially the last couple of issues where the Hulk started talking fluently on-panel again; and some of the pre-Savage Hulk stuff is arguable.]

In the first spell, when Banner got back from Heroes Reborn, he was working to try and manipulate the Hulk all the time. In the second, "Banner War" (Giant-Size Hulk story early in Planet Hulk) had Banner actively fighting GS for control, and succeeding for a brief moment before GS retook control. When he next showed up, it was for GS to show him to Caiera as his greatest secret, and Banner had pretty much completely given in (as he has now to Devil). And then, yeah, Aaron's run was hardly wonderful in any respect, but they were completely at war until right at the end - when Aaron decided to move to Thor when he was offered it, and hit the reset button fast.

Basically, yeah, there's the possibility for them getting along, but that's true of Banner with most of the Hulks to a greater or lesser extent. Practically none of them have never had at least a détente at some point with Banner, not even Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyDemonic View Post
    But on the topic of the hulks’ appearance in the current book, I’m starting to suspect that the Devil Hulk personality has actually been taking over the savage Hulk’s body this entire time, instead of the other way around. Think about it, every time we’ve seen the Devil switch to Savage and Vice Versa, there’s no physical transformation; only a difference in facial expressions, and even that was totally gone this issue.

If my theory is correct it would explain a lot, like why Savage keeps taking control away From Devil,Even though Devil is supposedly in charge of Bruce’s system. For that matter, If Devil can Suppress Gravage/ Green Scar, who is strongest incarnation physically and has a mental alliance with Bruce, then it makes absolutely no sense that he can’t stop the big guy. Something is clearly up with that...
    That's possible. The only thing about it that bugs me is that Bennett's Hulk doesn't share much with the "classic" Savage Hulk look beyond a certain generic "Hulkness" - the haircut and extra-sized mouth in particular are more Grey/Fixit than Savage.

Great issue today, although I’m not sure what Xemnu’s plan is exactly? Make everyone forget about Banner Hulk being a Hulk? Not sure what his goal is here although he’s delightfully creepy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Attachment 93008

Looks like Immortal Hulk will finally meet the Green Scar Hulk, or World War Hulk in an upcoming issue. Credit to TheAcidSkull for posting this on Comicvine.
    Finally. Ever since Ewing had Cho point out that the “heroic” Hulks didn’t seem to be on board with Devil Hulk’s schemes, I’ve wondered when there would be a confrontation. I’m wagering that Devil might be harboring some hidden agendas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Great issue today, although I’m not sure what Xemnu’s plan is exactly? Make everyone forget about Banner Hulk being a Hulk? Not sure what his goal is here although he’s delightfully creepy.
    Xemnus plan is to make everyone forget about Bruce Banner Hulk being the Hulk and that he is just some dangerous green monster, while Xemnu is actually the real and only Incredible Hulk that has saved Earth in the past from bad guys. He is trying to turn the public perception of Hulk against him, so that Hulk has no one to turn to and everywhere he goes he is hated, this the reason Roxxon employed him. Bruce Banner Hulk now needs to stop him before Xemnu turns the whole planet against him.

Interesting thing about the Savage Hulk and the Devil using the same body, I think there was that panel in maybe the last issue where the Savage Hulk was potrayed with the longer hair, and also Absolute carnage as well.

Alex Ross's cover for #26 also had the Savage Hulk physically distinctive from the Devil.

Then again, the Savage Hulk has often been drawn in both styles. The short hair, heavy browed look was pretty much the standard for the 60's Hulk, it wasn't really until the late 60s/early 70s that the Savage Hulk became more physically distinctive other than the grey Hulk being green. But he's also alternated to the old hairstyle here and there. Erik Larsen always seems to draw the Savage Hulk like that too.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Interesting thing about the Savage Hulk and the Devil using the same body, I think there was that panel in maybe the last issue where the Savage Hulk was potrayed with the longer hair, and also Absolute carnage as well.

Alex Ross's cover for #26 also had the Savage Hulk physically distinctive from the Devil.

Then again, the Savage Hulk has often been drawn in both styles. The short hair, heavy browed look was pretty much the standard for the 60's Hulk, it wasn't really until the late 60s/early 70s that the Savage Hulk became more physically distinctive other than the grey Hulk being green. But he's also alternated to the old hairstyle here and there. Erik Larsen always seems to draw the Savage Hulk like that too.
    Pak also did something similar when Gravage would temporarily switch back to the Savage personality( usually when he was fighting with Skaar( I feel to Hulk being emotionally conflicted). Again, it was a psychological transformation only. It actually made even more sense there, because Gravage is a hybrid of The big guy and Joe. I still think that Gravage represents Bruce as an adult( but given what we just learned about Gray Hulk, I’m probably wrong, but Ewing likes to make nods to previous events in Hulk’s life, it’ll be interesting to see if any of my thoughts bear fruit.

Can’t wait to til Gravage hulk comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post

Pretty sure that's intentional. Devil Hulk is using the Savage's body like Fixit has been using Banner's.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Pretty sure that's intentional. Devil Hulk is using the Savage's body like Fixit has been using Banner's.
    The difference is that Joe hates being in Bruce’s body. The real question I have now is why is Devil using Savage’s body? If it’s strength and power he’s after, then why not use Gravage’s body? Gravage is the strongest personality in terms of raw power; it would be incredibly easy to end the world by tapping into the worldbreaker power up. Perhaps Bruce is the roadblock there, since he’s the one who has to subconsciously allow Gravage to access the power in the first place. Still, taking the body of the most unpredictable and least intelligent personality doesn’t make much sense. Did Devil not anticipate the big guy’s resistance?

I'm so happy that Xenmu is back!
    He has always been the best!
    Member when he saved the other heroes by holding up a mountaing range in Secret Wars? I member!
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #281

“Audition!”

Cover Date: March 1983
    Sale Date: December 7th, 1982
    Writer: Bill Mantlo
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Joe Sinnott
    Letterer: Jim Novak
    Colorist: Bob Sharen
    Editor: Al Milgrom

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Rick Jones, Bereet, the Avengers.
    Villain: The Leader

Synopsis: Open to Bruce Banner getting ready to pilot an Avengers Quinjet into space to rescue his friends from the Leader. A quick recap of the last few issues takes us into space and Banner has to deal with the Leader’s defenses. One of the attacks electrifies the ship, but Banner is able to transform before losing consciousness. After ridding the ship of the mechanical space jellyfish, Banner arrives at Omnivac and is greeted by a horde of Humanoids. They begin to tear the Quinjet apart and in the ensuing battle, Banner’s space helmet is smashed. This causes Banner to panic, as he the unexpected action leaves him without air. He passes out before entering Omnivac, and wakes up inside, seated at a dinning table with Rick, Bereet, Jackdaw and the Leader. Some banter between the Leader and the Hulk results in another battle against the Humanoids. At first, it looks like he has the upper hand, but Banner’s intelligence is working against him and collapses in exhaustion. The Leader comes to the conclusion that the intelligent Hulk poses no threat to him and beams Banner and company back to the hotel, leaving Banner to wonder how he’s going to stop him.
    Commentary: Here we find out that Banner’s intelligence over the Hulk is working against him – anything the Hulk instinctively did, such as hold his breath in space – Banner allows his intelligence to interfere. The adage of “the madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets” no longer applies. Or it does, but to a point.

It'd be interesting to see the Professor again as well. Although he's identified by Cho as one of the more heroic Hulks, he also could be unstable at times, especially at the beginning and end of his dominance.

I think his most stable period was probably in the #410s, when his relationship with Betty was pretty much back on track and Rick and Marlo got married. Gary Frank was drawing him as well, and seemed to give a very Superman style haircut and jaw line (Frank would of course also draw Superman later on). I think it part this was because he was "scared straight" by the events of Future Imperfect (I think this is mentioned by Doc Samson at one point), but of course things started to unravel with the fall of the Pantheon.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth