Page 40 of 147 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Which was the dumbest way of going around about it, fanboys are the worst, everyone gets butthurt when their character loses and wants revenge on said character. The whole Rulk thing got overblown anyway, Rulk was a new character Loeb could have made him as OP as he wanted, but if Parker is someone who is easily swayed by fan outrage and will gladly show the character he is writing getting his ass kicked just to appease the internet outrage machine, then i definitely want him to stay as far away from Hulk as possible. I can only imagine him having Hulk get beat up by Thor and Ironman and Black Panther and Ghost Rider all individually and whatever else heroes he is gonna fight in the future just to "redeem" the character or something stupid like that.
    I think Parker's Rulk was great.

There's nothing wrong with a protagonist getting their ass kicked. I think there's a lot more wrong with the line of thinking that that would be a problem.

Either way, it's not as if Parker writes every character getting their ass kicked all the time. That was pretty much just the first arc of his Rulk run. Wasn't a feature of his Thunderbolts, Dark Avengers, Agents of Atlas, Red She-Hulk, etc etc

That being said, I think Parker has had his time on the title. I'd rather see a newer talent on the book. Like... hmm, not sure, Vita Ayala?

Honestly part of me wants them to see if Pak wants another shot at the character. It's been a solid decade or so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I think Parker's Rulk was great.

There's nothing wrong with a protagonist getting their ass kicked. I think there's a lot more wrong with the line of thinking that that would be a problem.

Either way, it's not as if Parker writes every character getting their ass kicked all the time. That was pretty much just the first arc of his Rulk run. Wasn't a feature of his Thunderbolts, Dark Avengers, Agents of Atlas, Red She-Hulk, etc etc

That being said, I think Parker has had his time on the title. I'd rather see a newer talent on the book. Like... hmm, not sure, Vita Ayala?
    That's cool, it's just not for me.

I agree there isn't, when it's for the right reasons, not the wrong reasons. As in Rulk kicked all these characters asses and fanboys are angry now let's have Rulk go through all those characters again just so they could get their hits on him and not for any important story reasons or anything.

I just don't think he is the right writer for Hulk.

Vita Ayala on Hulk? I hope you are joking lol.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 03-30-2020 at 10:45 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Honestly part of me wants them to see if Pak wants another shot at the character. It's been a solid decade or so.
    Old me would have jumped from joy to see him come back to Hulk, but new me has realized that Pak was a one-trick pony honestly and since his Hulk run he has perpetually been going down in quality as a writer on pretty much any title he touches.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Old me would have jumped from joy to see him come back to Hulk, but new me has realized that Pak was a one-trick pony honestly and since his Hulk run he has perpetually been going down in quality as a writer on pretty much any title he touches.
    Couldn't have said it better. He was an important writer for the Hulk, no doubt. But, as you say, quality kept going down with time. I don't even want mention TA Hulk...

And, yes, he has no range as a writer.

I just can't think of a writer I want on the Hulk right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    It’s not a good idea to bring back previous writers who have done a great job to follow up to what other acclaimed writers have done. The problem is the writers that really hit it big on characters tend to be very hostile to anyone else’s interpretation besides their own. Look at Claremont and the X-Men for evidence, every time he came back he just ignored what everyone else did, good or bad, and just went back to his stuff. PAD was also guilty of this when he got out back on the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Couldn't have said it better. He was an important writer for the Hulk, no doubt. But, as you say, quality kept going down with time. I don't even want mention TA Hulk...

And, yes, he has no range as a writer.
    Didn’t enjoy Totally Awesome Hulk either, but I can’t agree that Pak doesn’t have range. His DC stuff, Batman/Superman and Action Comics were different in tone from Hulk and were great when he wasn’t getting screwed by DC’s idiot editorial mandates. His Darth Vader comic right now has been enjoyable so far. But whoever the next writer is, I’d prefer them to be someone new. None of Marvel’s current big names really appeal to me for writing for Hulk except maybe Hickman.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

So I re-read Avengers: No Road Home recently and I rediscovered this plot point:

Some background, The Avengers chased Nyx into the House of Ideas (a location where the One-Above-All created the entire Marvel metaverse). When the doors were closing it effected each member differently (mainly just teleported them to different locations) but Bruce, as you can see, experienced immense pain and heard a 'voice' in his head like a cross was put on a demon. Any idea why this particular point was never brought up again? I figure it's because Ewing didn't wanna give Devil Hulk another weakness besides sunlight, at least at the time.
    Last edited by PlatinumThorns; 03-31-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s not a good idea to bring back previous writers who have done a great job to follow up to what other acclaimed writers have done. The problem is the writers that really hit it big on characters tend to be very hostile to anyone else’s interpretation besides their own. Look at Claremont and the X-Men for evidence, every time he came back he just ignored what everyone else did, good or bad, and just went back to his stuff. PAD was also guilty of this when he got out back on the book.

Didn’t enjoy Totally Awesome Hulk either, but I can’t agree that Pak doesn’t have range. His DC stuff, Batman/Superman and Action Comics were different in tone from Hulk and were great when he wasn’t getting screwed by DC’s idiot editorial mandates. His Darth Vader comic right now has been enjoyable so far. But whoever the next writer is, I’d prefer them to be someone new. None of Marvel’s current big names really appeal to me for writing for Hulk except maybe Hickman.
    About the names (Marvel, only): not too fond of what Cates would do with the character, for the obvious reasons. Waid and Aaron, lol! Coates and Slott, please, no! Hickman could be exciting. And Zdarsky, yes! He's killing on Daredevil, the second best Marvel title (by far) and one of the best comic books being published right now too.

That's cool, it's just not for me.

I agree there isn't, when it's for the right reasons, not the wrong reasons. As in Rulk kicked all these characters asses and fanboys are angry now let's have Rulk go through all those characters again just so they could get their hits on him and not for any important story reasons or anything.

I just don't think he is the right writer for Hulk.

Vita Ayala on Hulk? I hope you are joking lol.
    I don’t care about out of universe reasons, I just care about the resultant story. I don’t know what Parker’s actual reasoning was and I don’t care. The story was good and that’s all that matters.

Vita Ayala’s Prisoner X was great.

I’m a fan of Pak and I’d disagree with the notion his work has gone downhill in quality. But he’s already done a definitive Hulk run; no reason to return. I wouldn’t want Brubaker back on Captain America either. Claremont on X-Men is a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    About the names (Marvel, only): not too fond of what Cates would do with the character, for the obvious reasons. Waid and Aaron, lol! Coates and Slott, please, no! Hickman could be exciting. And Zdarsky, yes! He's killing on Daredevil, the second best Marvel title (by far) and one of the best comic books being published right now too.
    Zdarksy is maybe the first name I’ve seen someone throw out here that I’d be interested in.

Can’t believe I forgot Zdarsky, yeah I would definitely be interested in seeing what he would do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I don’t care about out of universe reasons, I just care about the resultant story. I don’t know what Parker’s actual reasoning was and I don’t care. The story was good and that’s all that matters.

Vita Ayala’s Prisoner X was great.
    Good for you but not so much for me, again Hulk is a difficult character, when people are approaching him leisurely like Aaron or Waid have in the past, then everyone has problems.

It might have been i don't know, but Vita is not the right writer for Hulk. The story would go in a direction i probably wouldn't like and i don't see Vita pulling off any cool action scenes/smashing, they might get the characterization right, but not anything else really.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 03-31-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    So I re-read Avengers: No Road Home recently and I rediscovered this plot point:

Some background, The Avengers chased Nyx into the House of Ideas (a location where the One-Above-All created the entire Marvel metaverse). When the doors were closing it effected each member differently (mainly just teleported them to different locations) but Bruce, as you can see, experienced immense pain and heard a 'voice' in his head like a cross was put on a demon. Any idea why this particular point was never brought up again? I figure it's because Ewing didn't wanna give Devil Hulk another weakness besides sunlight, at least at the time.
    Well, I think he pretty much did this only to show that Hulk, being a link to the very opposite to TOAA, would have trouble with entering"holy ground", a place where TOAA is more present, if we can say that. I believe a living portal to the Below Place couldn't even get close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Can’t believe I forgot Zdarsky, yeah I would definitely be interested in seeing what he would do.
    I think Nick Spencer could work too. The brief moment He wrote Banner in Secret Empire was well done, and, if we talk a bit about "
    power showings", the moment where the heroes see him jumping at the mount, Hydra's biggest weapon, smashing it as if it was nothing ,as they watch in horror. Awesome moment, specially considering when nothing and no onefrom the heroes allied with Hydra could break into it.

i don't see Vita pulling off any cool action scenes/smashing, they might get the characterization right, but not anything else really.
    I guess characterization is the thing I think is most important.