Page 39 of 147 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I’d be down for Lemire taking over.
    He’s proven to be great at horror (read Gideon Falls) and maybe his one shot of Immortal Hulk is a makeshift “audience test”?

Spectacular Member Hulkbanner12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Yea this has been mentioned before and i think about it from time to time, mostly how we should enjoy the run as much as we can cause after this there is a 99.99% chance that any run that follows wont be anywhere near as good let alone surpassing Ewings run. And one thing i remember Ewing said in one of the interviews he did is that he hopes whoever continues after him that they don't dive into the same exact stuff he did or undo some of the things he did but rather do their own thing and especially not simplify Banners relation with Hulk with it being just Banner and 1 Hulk, but exploding the more complex relationship with Banner having many alters inside him.

The only writer i know that can write hulk well is Donny Cate. He could be on par with Ewing in terms of writing the hulk.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    He’s proven to be great at horror (read Gideon Falls) and maybe his one shot of Immortal Hulk is a makeshift “audience test”?
    He's my first name to take over, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkbanner12 View Post
    The only writer i know that can write hulk well is Donny Cate. He could be on par with Ewing in terms of writing the hulk.
    Sorry, man; but no! I haven't seen any good writing from him when you consider how the Hulk acts and his power level. None of his main comics displayed Hulk well, not on Thanos (at all!), nor on Absolute Carnage and even on his Marvel Knights mini. If there's one, I'd like to know.

Also, he's good (sometimes great), but He isn't half the writer Ewing is.

Immortal Hulk comission.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Jeff Lemire is a good choice, we will see how good his one-shot is but he has expressed a desire to write Hulk actually and has said that the only thing that killed that desire was Ewings Immortal Hulk because he thought it's the perfect comic.

Personally i don't think Cates would fit Hulk well, also i would lose my mind with his inconsistencies in power levels, he'd be the guy that would show Hulk punching a star or something crazy like that in one panel and then have him get hurt by someone hitting him over the head with a chair.

Wouldn’t want that at all. Personally I find Cates’ writing to just be all show and no substance. Didn’t really enjoy Hulk in Absolute Carnage either.

Jeff Lemire is a good choice, we will see how good his one-shot is but he has expressed a desire to write Hulk actually and has said that the only thing that killed that desire was Ewings Immortal Hulk because he thought it's the perfect comic.

Personally i don't think Cates would fit Hulk well, also i would lose my mind with his inconsistencies in power levels, he'd be the guy that would show Hulk punching a star or something crazy like that in one panel and then have him get hurt by someone hitting him over the head with a chair.
    Yeah. Same. The first couple of Venom issues had the right tone, but the dude is pretty much disdainful of keeping any kind of power consistency.

At the Venom/Spidey level this is forgivable, but it be rare to distracting with the Hulk.

Didn't Thor fight Galactus and then balk at Stone Axes in one issue?

Yeah, I remember that! Hopefully He changes his mind.

That is it. Not to mention his Hulk were either Savage (not well written) or kind of mindless. No voice. And his power level inconsistencies are a joke (even if It try not to care about so much, He is still the strongest one there, so...).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I imagine this has already been said but I pity the writer that has to follow Ewing's Immortal Hulk run. They're going to have a hard time living up to the incredibly high expectations from one of the most critically acclaimed runs in modern comics. I wonder if the next creative team will continue what Ewing was doing or go back to a more traditional Hulk comic.
    A few years ago I suggested they go the horror route.. never thought they'd go through with it, but at the time I suggested Joe Hill, given his love of Marvel and horror.

Of course, he said he pitched something early in his career about a Baby Hulk, but I dunno if that was a joke or not

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Yeah. Same. The first couple of Venom issues had the right tone, but the dude is pretty much disdainful of keeping any kind of power consistency.

At the Venom/Spidey level this is forgivable, but it be rare to distracting with the Hulk.

Didn't Thor fight Galactus and then balk at Stone Axes in one issue?
    Yup!

And have you read his Thanos wins?

Thanos kills every hero on earth (minus Punisher). Punisher becomes the ghost rider. Galactus is afraid of Thanos, and gives the power cosmic to him (creating the cosmic ghost rider...). Both confront Thanos. Thanos kills Galactus with a big gun (??). CGR joins Thanos. Oh, and Thanos (he doesn't have infinity gauntlet or anything like that) has killed abstracts, and he uses Black Bolt (makes him scream), killing a horde of Celestials (??)!

Also, in the far future, Silver Surfer with mjolnir are kicking the ass of both future and past Thanos (??). He only loses when he gets distracted by a mindless/savage Hulk. Thanos basically kills them (when Hulk reverts to Banner) with twilght sword (??).

See the problems?

Still think Parker could be a good choice. Remember, Ewing first major storyline used *his* villain....and if they bring back General Ross in anyway, Parker would be great for that.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Steve Niles would give a leg to write the Hulk. It's his favorite comic character, and considering that He's a horror writer, with a lot of talent (30 days of night, criminal macabre). I particularly loved his comic Simon Dark, a really cool character He created for DC). I think He would be amazing writing the Hulk!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wouldn’t want that at all. Personally I find Cates’ writing to just be all show and no substance. Didn’t really enjoy Hulk in Absolute Carnage either.
    That's kinda the thing about Cates stuff, it always felt to me like a edgy 16 year old writing a story, it's all these flashy and "scary" and big stuff happening and yet all of it feels completely empty and bland.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Still think Parker could be a good choice. Remember, Ewing first major storyline used *his* villain....and if they bring back General Ross in anyway, Parker would be great for that.
    I'd pass on Parker honestly he wrote Rulk mostly as a punching bag and i always found his stories to be very basic and simple.

I have a strong feeling that Ewing will end his run with the Green Door being closed; I don't expect them to stick with the Immortal Hulk horror vibe, at least not strongly.

Either way, I don't think I'd ever read something like Immortal Hulk, tonally, from Ewing before he got the gig. Definitely didn't have a reputation as a horror guy, at least not to me. So I wouldn't want to chose the next writer by "typecasting" them. I'd rather they just try to find a good, up and coming writer.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I absolutely loved Jeff Parker's Red Hulk... up until Haunted Hulk. I didn't like either HH or Mayan Rule. It was so weird. It was like my #1 book at times and then it suddenly stopped being good.

I wonder how Haunted Hulk might play with IH stuff now...

I'd pass on Parker honestly he wrote Rulk mostly as a punching bag and i always found his stories to be very basic and simple.
    Parker had Rulk get his ass kicked a lot as a mea culpa to all the fans who hated Loeb's Rulk, who seemingly could beat up anybody with ease. I remember those time; Rulk was reviled on this forum. Parker gave catharsis to all those fans of character Rulk had beaten on spurious grounds.

It was also a tool to build sympathy for Ross, since they wanted a hero turn from him.
    Last edited by H-E-D; 03-30-2020 at 10:05 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D;4913711Parker had Rulk get his ass kicked a lot as a mea culpa to all the fans who hated Loeb's Rulk, who seemingly could beat up anybody with ease. I remember those time; Rulk was [I
    reviled[/I] on this forum. Parker gave catharsis to all those fans of character Rulk had beaten on spurious grounds.

It was also a tool to build sympathy for Ross, since they wanted a hero turn from him.
    Which was the dumbest way of going around about it, fanboys are the worst, everyone gets butthurt when their character loses and wants revenge on said character. The whole Rulk thing got overblown anyway, Rulk was a new character Loeb could have made him as OP as he wanted, but if Parker is someone who is easily swayed by fan outrage and will gladly show the character he is writing getting his ass kicked just to appease the internet outrage machine, then i definitely want him to stay as far away from Hulk as possible. I can only imagine him having Hulk get beat up by Thor and Ironman and Black Panther and Ghost Rider all individually and whatever else heroes he is gonna fight in the future just to "redeem" the character or something stupid like that.