Page 4 of 147 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Great issue! I think there's gonna be a boiling point when the Hulk personalities are just gonna do something drastic and no one's gonna see it coming. Also, Joe's designs for the monsters are so damn good. And it's only gonna escalate from here
    The best part was the interaction with Samson and Betty. Joe was absolutely right when he said that Samson is bad at his job. Betty is clearly depressed and detached, and he’s completely oblivious to it. It was also nice to check in with Rick and see him looking healthier than before. I wonder if that scene with Bruce and the hulk’s’ reflection in the mirror is meant to indicate that He’s having a harder time deciding on which personality to let out? Could the big guy be tipping point for the gamma gang to win the upcoming battles?

A fun easter egg in the latest issue: Most have probably caught or otherwise read about the reasons for the names O'brien, Harryhausen, Bradbury and Lovecraft. What's a tad more obscure is why the monsters are said to be acconmpanies by a foghorn sound. In 1951, a young Bradbury wrote a story called the Fog Horn, concerning a monster that is attracted to a lighthouse's foghorn. This was adapted- originally without his permission- into the film "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" in 1953; the film's Rhedosaurus was designed and directed by a young Harryhausen in his first role outside of O'brien's mentoring. In turn, the film would go on to inspire Ishiro Honda's film Gojira/Godzilla the following year.

There's a very real argument that what parts of the kaiju genre that weren't inspired by O'brien's work on King Kong were inspired by Bradbury's "The Fog Horn".

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    A fun easter egg in the latest issue: Most have probably caught or otherwise read about the reasons for the names O'brien, Harryhausen, Bradbury and Lovecraft. What's a tad more obscure is why the monsters are said to be acconmpanies by a foghorn sound. In 1951, a young Bradbury wrote a story called the Fog Horn, concerning a monster that is attracted to a lighthouse's foghorn. This was adapted- originally without his permission- into the film "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" in 1953; the film's Rhedosaurus was designed and directed by a young Harryhausen in his first role outside of O'brien's mentoring. In turn, the film would go on to inspire Ishiro Honda's film Gojira/Godzilla the following year.

There's a very real argument that what parts of the kaiju genre that weren't inspired by O'brien's work on King Kong were inspired by Bradbury's "The Fog Horn".
    Good catch.

This issue finally gets to what this the whole arc is (really) about: Hulk smashing at a large scale. No better way to showcase that than with a Hulk vs. Godzilla on Monster Island special. Pieces are set and I'm ready for fun.

The only downside to me was I felt the various previews gave away way too much this time. I guess I should be more careful about reading those. But the giant two page spread, arguably the art-centerpiece of the issue, made it into the preview which didn't leave much else to take in. The dialog previewed already outlined the entirety of the arc (not like the fight really started). So ... I think I need ot back off the previews a bit ... I really want to enjoy the next few issues to thier fullest.

I did really like the Samson/Bruce/Betty interaction, though. It added enough to continue to frame how Banner "works" as well as verifying Betty/Bruce's relationship continues to be a WIP.

Good issue, great art. Just wish I didn't see all the preview panels. There wasn't much left to discover.

where do the giant beasts come from at this point? They certainly can't just be put in, uh, jail. How to subdue them long-term?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    where do the giant beasts come from at this point? They certainly can't just be put in, uh, jail. How to subdue them long-term?
    Chances are they'll either be killed or teleported to Monster Island.

Unless the FF/etc come back early and are involved in the resolution..

Sounds like things might be building to Joe getting his Hulk form back at some point?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Sounds like things might be building to Joe getting his Hulk form back at some point?
    if it's gray Joe with the "Savage" Hulk strength (with increases) that I'd be interested to see. Hopefully several times.

There is another puzzle piece I think that could come into play: The Guilt Hulk, which basically kind of looks like the Hulk crossed with the creatures from the ALIENS films, at least in Bruce's head (As we've seen with Devil, Bruce's mindscape versions of the Hulks don't necesarilly reflect reality, otherwise Devil would be yellow and scaley instead of mostly indistinguishable from the other green versions). It's based on Bruce's image of his father as seen in his mind (and his father also became a version of this thing in "Chaos War") and almost becomes a threat in the Jenkins run, where it makes it's debut in the same issue the Devil Hulk did. I think it implied if this Hulk got loose it would cause damage similar to the mindless Hulk (Indeed this Hulk doesn't seem to have a coherent persona) if not worse.

Although at the time Banner was having a more rough time of things since he had Lou Gehrig's and was still grieving Betty, so maybe there's not much of a reason for it to appear.

Smile

I'm late to this party but, Happy New Year to my sixth favorite comic book character of all time (Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman & Goku being my top five). May 2020 be as epic for Hulk as was 2019 (what a groundbreaking year that was).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There is another puzzle piece I think that could come into play: The Guilt Hulk, which basically kind of looks like the Hulk crossed with the creatures from the ALIENS films, at least in Bruce's head (As we've seen with Devil, Bruce's mindscape versions of the Hulks don't necesarilly reflect reality, otherwise Devil would be yellow and scaley instead of mostly indistinguishable from the other green versions). It's based on Bruce's image of his father as seen in his mind (and his father also became a version of this thing in "Chaos War") and almost becomes a threat in the Jenkins run, where it makes it's debut in the same issue the Devil Hulk did. I think it implied if this Hulk got loose it would cause damage similar to the mindless Hulk (Indeed this Hulk doesn't seem to have a coherent persona) if not worse.

Although at the time Banner was having a more rough time of things since he had Lou Gehrig's and was still grieving Betty, so maybe there's not much of a reason for it to appear.
    I could have swore the three personalities killed it off while Bruce couldn't watch them do it.

I know he killed it off in a What If issue.

I doubt Guilt will show up.. Ewing didn't list it among the alters. If you're expecting Guilt you might as well add in Glow, Star and Guardian.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    I could have swore the three personalities killed it off while Bruce couldn't watch them do it.

I know he killed it off in a What If issue.

I doubt Guilt will show up.. Ewing didn't list it among the alters. If you're expecting Guilt you might as well add in Glow, Star and Guardian.
    Who the hell are Glow, Star and Guardian? I don't remember them, Guilt Hulk has at least made an appearances in Greg Paks run and Al Ewing actually had a flashback to it, so Guilt Hulk might not be off the table.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Who the hell are Glow, Star and Guardian? I don't remember them, Guilt Hulk has at least made an appearances in Greg Paks run and Al Ewing actually had a flashback to it, so Guilt Hulk might not be off the table.
    Leftovers from the tail-end of Mantlo's run during the Hulk's banishment to the Crossroads.
    They were to represent different aspect's of Banner's personality that guided the Mindless Hulk thru some treacherous adventures after the Puffball Collective betrayed him.

BANNED

Oh those guys, i thought he was referring to some Hulk personalities named that, which confused me.

They actually did show up briefly in Jenkin's run, during the arc where Devil Hulk was keeping Bruce in a "For the Man Who Has Everything" dream world, which Joe, "Big guy" and the Professor help break him out of.

They're seen restraining Devil in the next issue, which was the last we heard of that persona for the most part until Immortal.