Writer: Bill Mantlo
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Joe Sinnott
    Letterer: Jim Novak
    Colorist: Bob Sharen
    Editor: Al Milgrom

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: The Avengers, Omnivac (robotic form), Jackdaw
    Villain: The Leader

Synopsis: The Avengers and the Hulk storm the Leader’s hidden orbital stronghold. They soon discover the Leader’s plans to travel back in time and bombard the Earth with gamma rays in order to create the human race as intellectual gamma beings. The Avengers are transported through time, leaving the Hulk and She-Hulk to rescue them.

Commentary:
    Straight-forward action issue. Banner’s insecurities as the Hulk seem to have disappeared, but they’ll creep up later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I love Morrison but his outlook on superheroes would clash with what Ewing is doing. Immortal Hulk is very much a horror comic and Hulk himself is not at all 100% a good thing, for Bruce or for humanity. Morrison is big on the positive aspects of superheroes, how they show the best part of humanity and help us aspire to be better. You see that in his work on Batman and Superman. Ewing meanwhile is using Hulk to explore the opposite side of that. Hulk is all the parts of us that we don’t want to see, the parts that disturb or even scare us. It would be interesting to see Morrison’s take on Hulk, I’d want to ask him how he views the character given his usual views on superheroes and how Hulk has both embodied and defied that outlook throughout his history.
    Easy go to for Morrison is he always goes back to the Silver Age, so he'd probably channel early Hulk.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Really great art of the bizarre Hulk (2003) movie!

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

Incredible Hulk #283
    “Follow the Leader!”

Cover Date: May 1983
    Sale Date: February 8th, 1983

Synopsis: The Avengers and the Hulk storm the Leader’s hidden orbital stronghold. They soon discover the Leader’s plans to travel back in time and bombard the Earth with gamma rays in order to create the human race as intellectual gamma beings. The Avengers are transported through time, leaving the Hulk and She-Hulk to rescue them.

Commentary:
    Straight-forward action issue. Banner’s insecurities as the Hulk seem to have disappeared, but they’ll creep up later on.

has anyone ever done a story where one of the Leaders "humanoids" gained some nominal intelligence?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Really great art of the bizarre Hulk (2003) movie!

Hulk going apeshit on those insane dogs is the best part of the movie. It's so completely crazy they put that in a huge budget film that I unironically love it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Hulk going apeshit on those insane dogs is the best part of the movie. It's so completely crazy they put that in a huge budget film that I unironically love it lol.
    I have a soft spot for it, really. Also, I think it wasn't made in the right time, not when you had Spidey (2002) as the model of what comic book movies, for the most part, would/should be.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    I would unironically want Grant Morrison to do a Hulk mini for an anniversary or something.
    The funny thing is, I talked with Grant Morrison some years ago, specifically about the Hulk. He made mention that "his" take on the Hulk was actually already out there, in the form of Mark Millar's Ultimate Hulk. So, that's right--the Hulk who manifests all of the things that Banner represses--right down to being a cannibal whereas Bruce doesn't even eat meat--is pretty much right out of Morrison's head.

(Note that Mark Millar used to co-write Swamp Thing with Morrison, so they are friends as well as colleagues.)

I'd hope maybe he has re-thought his take, but who knows?

~G.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

Incredible Hulk #283
    “Follow the Leader!”

Cover Date: May 1983
    Sale Date: February 8th, 1983

Commentary:

One of the earliest Hulk issues I ever had after my uncle stopped carrying comics at his butcher shop. This one was part of a Woolworth's 3-pack along with Fantastic Four #254 and Avengers #233 (I think--anybody wanna correct me?).

I remember not getting the conclusion for many years!

~G.

So, who's got all their Immortal Hulk #33/750s and who needs to wait until shops reopen?

Got all mine this last week...love the Joe Bennett variants in particular!

~G.
    Last edited by HulkSmash!; 04-04-2020 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Wrong picture!

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    has anyone ever done a story where one of the Leaders "humanoids" gained some nominal intelligence?
    Not that I'm aware of.
    Closest would be the Hulk-Killer Humanoid from way back in TTA #86.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmash! View Post
    One of the earliest Hulk issues I ever had after my uncle stopped carrying comics at his butcher shop. This one was part of a Woolworth's 3-pack along with Fantastic Four #254 and Avengers #233 (I think--anybody wanna correct me?).

I remember not getting the conclusion for many years!

~G.
    Same with me and Hulk #321-323. Had to put #322 back on the rack because Grandma didn't have enough money for it at the time (groceries took priority!). Took me years to get it...passed it up many times at the comic store. Dunno why.

With several other incarnations have gotten names or labels, I'm surprised that the one from #447 to the end of Peter's run doesn't really have any stable name, mainly just the fan label of "Grayvage Hulk".

I think PAD's intent was that it was basically still the merged Hulk, but with the Banner part missing (since it was in another universe and was becoming a long-haired savage Hulk)-and even when Banner returned, it seemed to remain the same except with the transformations. If I've read accurately, I think it was sort of a compromise PAD had to do-Marvel's editorial wanted the savage Hulk back (and PAD wanted it to go in a different direction), so he gave them a "sort of" savage incarnation.

Jenkins I think established that Casey's version that followed was, for the most part, the Professor again, due to his own retcons. Or something like that.

Perhaps this was an earlier form of Green Scar in a sense? Has some of the same basic attitude and intelligence.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-06-2020 at 08:45 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    With several other incarnations have gotten names or labels, I'm surprised that the one from #447 to the end of Peter's run doesn't really have any stable name, mainly just the fan label of "Grayvage Hulk".

I think PAD's intent was that it was basically still the merged Hulk, but with the Banner part missing (since it was in another universe and was becoming a long-haired savage Hulk)-and even when Banner returned, it seemed to remain the same except with the transformations. If I've read accurately, I think it was sort of a compromise PAD had to do-Marvel's editorial wanted the savage Hulk back (and PAD wanted it to go in a different direction), so he gave them a "sort of" savage incarnation.

Jenkins I think established that Casey's version that followed was, for the most part, the Professor again, due to his own retcons. Or something like that.

Perhaps this was an earlier form of Green Scar in a sense? Has some of the same basic attitude and intelligence.
    A lot of variants of the "green" Hulk have very minor personalty/visual differences so it would probably counterproductive to give them names/labels. It's still never been confirmed if the one from the very first issues (the Hulk that hated Humans, had cunning intellect, and only could appear if Bruce used a gamma machine on himself) was also Gravage Hulk or not. Also, does Nul count as a personality? Etc.

Really creepy Devil Hulk fan art:

https://twitter.com/LoverSarkastik/s...563166721?s=20

I'm ready for a full arc with the classic Hulk again.