Page 45 of 147 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    That's certainly an odd piece of trivia. No lie, I didn't expect that to be a thing.
    Yeah I was surprised first time I learned about that too. In all the outside media Rhino just gets his powers from his suit so I figured that was the case in 616 as well.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Some Immortal Hulk goodness:

Damn Rick... go see a chiropractor!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I was surprised first time I learned about that too. In all the outside media Rhino just gets his powers from his suit so I figured that was the case in 616 as well.
    That was the case originally. But when Spidey managed to separate Rhino from his suit in there first encounter, Gamma Radiation was used to re-enforce the new suit he was given when the bonding process was duplicated. This isn’t the only time that some out element has buffered his suit. A similar thing happened in the gauntlet storyline as well.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Whoa, Joe Bennett going all out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Some Immortal Hulk goodness:

Horror, gore and weird disfigured bodies are a stapple of this book. Can't tell if that is a disfigured/drained Hulk behind her or Rick?

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #285
    “Today is the First Day of the Rest of My Life!”

Cover Date: July 1983
    Sale Date: April 5th, 1983
    Writer: Bill Mantlo
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Chic Stone
    Letterer: Jim Novak
    Colorist: Bob Sharen
    Editor: Al Milgrom

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Scott Lang, Rick Jones and Bereet.
    Villain: Zzzax
    Synopsis: Bruce Banner is overseeing the construction of his new research lab, Northwind Observatory. Scott Lang is the foreman, and tries convincing Banner that he’s needed as an Avenger, or super-hero in general. Bruce isn’t having any of it, until Zzzax returns and the Hulk saves the day.

Commentary: Fat-Head alert with that transformation splash. Kind of a soft reset for the book, the first half is mainly recapping the Hulk’s story until the present day. This is the last we see of Rick Jones for a few years, as Mantlo writes him out of the book and shuffles him into future issues of Rom. From here, we see the start of the next phase of the Intelligent Hulk’s life begin with the observatory and a new cast.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post

Incredible Hulk #285
    “Today is the First Day of the Rest of My Life!”

Cover Date: July 1983
    Sale Date: April 5th, 1983
    Writer: Bill Mantlo
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Chic Stone
    Letterer: Jim Novak
    Colorist: Bob Sharen
    Editor: Al Milgrom

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Scott Lang, Rick Jones and Bereet.
    Villain: Zzzax
    Synopsis: Bruce Banner is overseeing the construction of his new research lab, Northwind Observatory. Scott Lang is the foreman, and tries convincing Banner that he’s needed as an Avenger, or super-hero in general. Bruce isn’t having any of it, until Zzzax returns and the Hulk saves the day.

Commentary: Fat-Head alert with that transformation splash. Kind of a soft reset for the book, the first half is mainly recapping the Hulk’s story until the present day. This is the last we see of Rick Jones for a few years, as Mantlo writes him out of the book and shuffles him into future issues of Rom. From here, we see the start of the next phase of the Intelligent Hulk’s life begin with the observatory and a new cast.

My first Hulk comic, and the one that turned him into my favorite character ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    My first Hulk comic, and the one that turned him into my favorite character ever!
    Yeah, good stuff. I still feel like Mantlo/Buscema was the greatest Hulk "team" of all time. I mean, the stories these guys told? Absolute gold.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Yeah, good stuff. I still feel like Mantlo/Buscema was the greatest Hulk "team" of all time. I mean, the stories these guys told? Absolute gold.
    Me too. This might (and probably will) change with Ewing/Bennett. These two are not from this world.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenlyDemonic View Post
    Yes. Rhino’s strength was enhanced by gamma radiation in his second appearance in Amazing Spider-man.The last time he fought the hulk was in issue # 435, the baseball story where hulk pretends to be African American( and yes, PAD does address how inappropriate it is in the story)
    Slight correction: it wasn't until the Rhino's 3rd appearance in Incredible Hulk #104 that he was gamma-enhanced.

~G.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmash! View Post
    Slight correction: it wasn't until the Rhino's 3rd appearance in Incredible Hulk #104 that he was gamma-enhanced.

~G.
    Thanks for the update. I thought what I said might have been wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TCHRISJ View Post
    Hulk clap!

Fantastic Member

That issue (INC #285) was JUST before someone remembered that Hulk was Grey in his first appearance. I believe issue #302 at the Crossroads was the first canonical reference to grey-skin since issue #1. In all the origin recaps throughout the 60s, 70s and early 80s, he was featured as green. Had it not been for #302, Al Milgrom might not have decided to bring back that feature in #324….