Page 46 of 147 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    That issue (INC #285) was JUST before someone remembered that Hulk was Grey in his first appearance. I believe issue #302 at the Crossroads was the first canonical reference to grey-skin since issue #1. In all the origin recaps throughout the 60s, 70s and early 80s, he was featured as green. Had it not been for #302, Al Milgrom might not have decided to bring back that feature in #324….
    It was referenced before that, in the letter column from issue #273. Milgrom was the editor at the time as well...

**DAMN, that's STILL too small to read. Anyways, check it out if you have a copy on-hand.**
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by McFarlane's Green Hulk; 04-22-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: too tiny of image

Fantastic Member

Great find! I forgot about that 1982 letter page - LOL about the Kirby "Three toes" comments!

I recall in 1985 when John Byrne took over the book and was applying his "Back to Basics" approach (that had worked so well for the FF in '81). Byrne's plan (before bolting prematurely) was to physically return the Hulk to the Kirby look of Hulk #4-6 (and Avengers #1-2). In fact, that Kirby look (Bowl cut, exaggerated brow, jutting lower teeth, smaller form, hunched over, Joe Fixit personality) - which hadn't appeared since 1964 - started cropping up in Byrne's various marketing promo-art (Official Handbook #6, Amazing Heroes cover). Clearly Byrne's plan was NOT to bring back the Grey skin - that was Milgrom, probably inspired by the flashback images in #302 or #318… but possibly reminded of as early as that #273 letter page!

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    That issue (INC #285) was JUST before someone remembered that Hulk was Grey in his first appearance. I believe issue #302 at the Crossroads was the first canonical reference to grey-skin since issue #1. In all the origin recaps throughout the 60s, 70s and early 80s, he was featured as green. Had it not been for #302, Al Milgrom might not have decided to bring back that feature in #324….
    I think a lot of the reprints of #1 also recolored him green as well for a while.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    It was referenced before that, in the letter column from issue #273. Milgrom was the editor at the time as well...

**DAMN, that's STILL too small to read. Anyways, check it out if you have a copy on-hand.**
    Use [img] insert image link [/img]

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Bill Mantlo's brother, Michael, has apparently passed away. No details given, but his wife posted it on Facebook earlier today. He was Bill's primary caretaker after the accident...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    Bill Mantlo's brother, Michael, has apparently passed away. No details given, but his wife posted it on Facebook earlier today. He was Bill's primary caretaker after the accident...
    That's really sad to hear... I hope someone else is taking care of him now.

Has John Byrne ever spoken or speculated on the Hulk stories he might have explored had he not left to DC for working on Superman projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Has John Byrne ever spoken or speculated on the Hulk stories he might have explored had he not left to DC for working on Superman projects?
    A quick Google have me this...:

http://www.delusionalhonesty.com/201...might.html?m=1

Hope you find it helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

Rhino and Juggernaut sure but why the heck did he want to permanently retire Leader and Abomination? I get that they were overused so bench them for a little while, say a year, and then bring them back and revamp them. That’s what Ewing did with Abomination, and Leader showing up again after so many years on the sideline was one of the hypest moments ever for me. MODOK at that point barely could even be called a Hulk villain so whatever.

That Byrne wanted to return to the original Hulk characterization is really interesting since PAD ultimately went the same route as well, but I think PAD ultimately ended up handling it better than what Byrne would’ve done.

About returning the Hulk to his original state, I can't help but be reminded a bit that Byrne did a similar thing to the Thing fairly early on in his Fantastic Four run, with the Thing returning to his "lumpy" state he had for the first year or so of Fantastic Four after another attempt at a cure went wrong. Didn't last too long though, and the Thing didn't seem to mind the change that much. At least he didn't go back to his first issue personality, which was a bit early Hulk-like in a few ways ("Bah! Why do humans make doors so small!")
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Looks like Ewing caught something: https://twitter.com/al_ewing/status/...660361216?s=21
    Hopefully it’s not covid or anything serious. Sending him well wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Looks like Ewing caught something: https://twitter.com/al_ewing/status/...660361216?s=21
    Hopefully it’s not covid or anything serious. Sending him well wishes.
    Wishing him well!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

I wrote the article series in question a few years ago. Glad to see people are still getting mileage out of it!

Somewhere in Byrne Robotics--his message board--somebody brought the article to Mr. Byrne's attention. He liked it right up to the part where I brought up any small criticism of his run. That was...interesting. But hey...he read my stuff!

~G.

BANNED

More of Joe Bennetts art, i am guessing this is suppose to be Guilt Hulk.

Untitled.jpg

Here's a larger version of that image, there's a lot of detail packed in there...

I wonder if this appearance Hulk will see the "light of day" as it were.