Page 60 of 135 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    For what it's worth, just changing the cowl of the current costume (to enclose his hair) would be enough to drop the Kid Flash look. Mind you, I don't mind keeping it; to me, Wally's Flash suits from post-Crisis and post-Flash: Rebirth are too easy to mistake for Barry's costume, and vice versa. the Kid Flash inspired costume has the virtue of being instantly recognizable, and of paying homage 2 both Wally's time as Kid Flash and his time as the Flash.

but seeing as hell that costume is associated with a time in his life where he was constantly being treated as if he was still Kid Flash, I can understand the arguments to change the costume again. I would just want something a little more radical than a modified version of berries costume. I wouldn't want him to use the Walter West dark Flash costume from the late 90s, but that does illustrate how the general theme can be capped well modified to be instantly recognizable as different.
    If it weren't for Wally's treatment since Barry's return I'd be fine with the current costume. But yeah, he's been treated as less than a sidekick since then and the costume bearing a similarity to the Kid Flash suit rubs me wrong on every level.

Just put him in the Walter West suit like everybody seems to want; it's different enough to make him distinct, it originates from Wally's time as Flash, it's a suit *a* Wally wore....it's also a better, cleaner design (in my opinion). It's just superior in every way. And I'd rather have a suit that reminds me of the Waid era than a suit that reminds me that Wally will always be below Barry in terms of relevance and importance both in DC's offices and the DCU.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I actually always read Jai's name as rhyming with "chai." I don't know why I thought he wasn't named after Jay. Makes sense.

I really enjoy the Rebirth look, though I admit I'm in the minority that doesn't like the Walter costume. I don't think of Heroes in Crisis when I see it because it just looks like a proper Wally suit. If anything, I still see the promise of DC Rebirth with that costume. Perhaps I'm still in denial. Hopefully HiC gets retconned in the next five years.

I actually like the Rebirth costume, frankly because it is an interesting mix of Flash and his kid flash look. However I also like it just because it’s not overly complicated and I’ve always had a preference for the speedster costumes that had their hair running in the wind, gave it a nice touch and honestly it’s a good way to tell people apart when they are not wearing the cowl.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Pages and pages of discussion about Walter and his costume and how everyone loves it, and *now* you guys show up!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I actually always read Jai's name as rhyming with "chai." I don't know why I thought he wasn't named after Jay. Makes sense.
    Me too lol.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    Quick question. How is Wally's son Jai's name pronounced?

I always thought he was named after Jay Garrick and it was pronounced like "Jay".

But I've heard some pronounce it like "j-eye" .

How do you guys say it?
    I have always pronounced it 'j-eye'.
    I work with a bloke whose name is Jai and that is how he says it.
    And although I realise he was named after Jay, I assumed it wasn't pronounced as 'Jay'.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I actually like the Rebirth costume, frankly because it is an interesting mix of Flash and his kid flash look. However I also like it just because it’s not overly complicated and I’ve always had a preference for the speedster costumes that had their hair running in the wind, gave it a nice touch and honestly it’s a good way to tell people apart when they are not wearing the cowl.
    That's why I don't like it. Wally hasn't been Kid Flash in a LONG time. Why on Earth would be choose to go backwards?
    I love the colour scheme - burgundy and silver. Keep that. But give him his cowl back please!!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    That's why I don't like it. Wally hasn't been Kid Flash in a LONG time. Why on Earth would be choose to go backwards?
    I love the colour scheme - burgundy and silver. Keep that. But give him his cowl back please!!!
    Actually I think it looks MUCH!!! better without the cowl and open hairs..

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Nice to see people are finally seeing what I have been saying about Wally's costume since Rebirth.

Now hear me out guys: Walter costume is not gonna cut it.

A proper "Flash" costume will need a closed cowl, big yellow boots, a centered insignia and the classic color scheme. If not, Wally will remain as "not quite Flash".
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

As long as Barry's around Wally will be "not quite Flash" anyway.

The Rebirth suit isn't bad; the lines are clean, the colors are solid, and as re-designs go it's pretty good. But its shout-out to Wally's time as a sidekick isn't something I can't accept. We might as well have Nightwing change his costume so he's wearing short shorts. It's the visual representation of the character taking a step backwards, and as good as the Rebirth suit is (and it is well designed) I can't forgive it for rubbing my nose in the fact that Wally's going to be held back and treated as being less than he is.

~ Black Panther.

To be fair, the only reason I'm on board with changing it is because of the abuse heaped on Wally during Rebirth, not because the design itself was bad. And frankly, the more important thing to change isn't the costume; it's the way Wally is treated. If he changes his costume and continues being treated like garbage, that's just another costume that's being associated with bad treatment of Wally. If they keep the costume but start treating him with respect, the costume can be redeemed along with the character.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I have always pronounced it 'j-eye'.
    I work with a bloke whose name is Jai and that is how he says it.
    And although I realise he was named after Jay, I assumed it wasn't pronounced as 'Jay'.
    Same. I figured he was named after Jay, but that it was pronounced J-eye because of Linda's heritage. Ah-well.

Wally's Costume: I like the Rebirth costume a lot (hair fan), but also really like Walter's costume so would be pleased with that if the Rebirth gets ditched.
    One problem with the freed hair while running is getting temporarily blinded if your locks whip around and hit your eyes which stings like a bitch. (Never happened to me, nope, nope, nope.)*coughs in hand* *goes to get hand sanitizer*
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

One possibility I've considered would be to ditch the cowl entirely, and go with some visors instead.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    To be fair, the only reason I'm on board with changing it is because of the abuse heaped on Wally during Rebirth, not because the design itself was bad. And frankly, the more important thing to change isn't the costume; it's the way Wally is treated. If he changes his costume and continues being treated like garbage, that's just another costume that's being associated with bad treatment of Wally. If they keep the costume but start treating him with respect, the costume can be redeemed along with the character.
    That's a good point. You're not wrong. In my head, a new costume was going hand-in-hand with better quality stories but that's not necessarily the case.

Oh, as for Jai, I always pronounced it "J-eye" too (rhymes with "sai" and "chai"). Close to "Jay" but showing some respect for Linda's heritage too.

It's completely off topic, but this reminded me of how much I hate the way they pronounce Ra's al Ghul's name in some adaptations. "Ray-esh." The hell is that? How do you get that from "Ra's?"

~ Black Panther.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I don't know why they don't go back to his shiny '90s suit. Great design, different from Barry but 100% the Flash.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.