Page 82 of 98 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1462
  1. #1216
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,880
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

    Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake.

    Currently Reading: All Star Comics, Justice League of America (Satalite years era), Huntress ('89 series)

  2. #1217
    Amazing Member SuperX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I want this so damn bad. Along with the 2 statues in my avatar

  3. #1218
    Fantastic Member Dr. Ellingham's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Port Wenn
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    True, but I also think he'd have made a better fist of Barry Allen's triumphant return if given the chance.
    Agreed. But the key words may be "if given the chance". Did Johns have that?

    I think Geoff Johns' strong suit is that he's a great high-concept thinker, and a good plotter. But it's interesting how the arc from Flash Rebirth to Flashpoint is so flat. It seems like they took the checklist of what made his Green Lantern work, and tried to replicate each bullet point. And then it just...stops at Flashpoint. And Johns did something he'd never really done before - he walked away from a book he'd just relaunched, and wasn't done rebuilding.

    And yet - he co-developed the Flash TV series, which incorporate a lot of the same concepts, and despite its sappy teenager styling, was pretty faithful otherwise to Johns' style. And it worked way better. I'd guess the disparity is due to frequent editorial direction changes. I guess we'll hear the full story someday. Hopefully.

  4. #1219
    Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.
    Posts
    2,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I'm taking it that this is a Barry Allen Flash statue mod for a Wally West statue.

    Maybe its possible.... they could make a new Wally statue? (I put off getting that action figure because I prefer statues.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

  5. #1220
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    Agreed. But the key words may be "if given the chance". Did Johns have that?

    I think Geoff Johns' strong suit is that he's a great high-concept thinker, and a good plotter. But it's interesting how the arc from Flash Rebirth to Flashpoint is so flat. It seems like they took the checklist of what made his Green Lantern work, and tried to replicate each bullet point. And then it just...stops at Flashpoint. And Johns did something he'd never really done before - he walked away from a book he'd just relaunched, and wasn't done rebuilding.

    And yet - he co-developed the Flash TV series, which incorporate a lot of the same concepts, and despite its sappy teenager styling, was pretty faithful otherwise to Johns' style. And it worked way better. I'd guess the disparity is due to frequent editorial direction changes. I guess we'll hear the full story someday. Hopefully.
    Nah, I don't buy it. Johns wrote a terrible Barry Allen right from the off, not using any of the story potential from his return (instead going for more of a "the one true Flash is back lets continue as if nothing changed!" approach) and introducing some disastrous retcons with Barry's return.

    I like a lot of what Johns has written by Flash: Rebirth, which felt like entirely his baby, is still the worst thing he has ever written by a mile.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

  6. #1221
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    52,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Hey now!

    Dark Mary Marvel has a pretty good fan following.
    ...For all the wrong reasons .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Nah, I don't buy it. Johns wrote a terrible Barry Allen right from the off, not using any of the story potential from his return (instead going for more of a "the one true Flash is back lets continue as if nothing changed!" approach) and introducing some disastrous retcons with Barry's return.

    I like a lot of what Johns has written by Flash: Rebirth, which felt like entirely his baby, is still the worst thing he has ever written by a mile.
    I think he started the idea of "mopey, depressed" Barry Allen but he was one of the few writers who I felt could write Barry and Wally distinct from each other and the idea of a major hero re-acclimating themselves to a world that had moved on past him was pretty interesting to me.

    Don't get me started on the "dead mom, imprisoned father" stuff though...

  7. #1222
    Extraordinary Member TheCape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    7,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...For all the wrong reasons .

    I think he started the idea of "mopey, depressed" Barry Allen but he was one of the few writers who I felt could write Barry and Wally distinct from each other and the idea of a major her re-acclimating themselves to a world that had moved on past him was pretty interesting to me.

    Don't get me started on the "dead mom, imprisoned father" stuff though...
    Believe it or not, it kinda was worse in Johns Rebirth, because it was "dead mom, imprisoned father who died in prison and his innocence was never proved" lol, i supposed that a good thing about New 52 is that it gave Barry a father back.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

    "I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

  8. #1223
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    22,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Believe it or not, it kinda was worse in Johns Rebirth, because it was "dead mom, imprisoned father who died in prison and his innocence was never proved" lol, i supposed that a good thing about New 52 is that it gave Barry a father back.
    I take it the TV show (also with Johns involved) was based on the New 52 interpretation?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  9. #1224
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    For such a character that has the reputation of being lighthearted and fun Barry has had a pretty depressing history.

    He was fine.in the silver age but who wasnt? When the bronze age rolled around they really screwed with him. Killing off Iris was the start of it. From there Barry spiraled psychologically and emotionally. Trying to move on and remarry Fiona who was about to be killed by Thawne. He had to kill him and then be dragged through the mud as a criminal. At the end of the series he got his "happy ending" by totally changing his face and escaping to the future. I remember reading those comics and getting pretty depressed.

    The next chapter was him being dead. He was actually given good treatment then and portrayed as happy when shown. Which is pretty sad as well since it was as a dead guy.

    When they brought him back there was the obvious depression and messing with Barry with the dead mom and dad framed for her murder and sitting in jail bit. Which is pretty messed up.

    It's not a surprise that Williamson is writing Barry as angsty and constantly going through something.

    So although people usually say Barry is a fun , bright character if you think about it he is a pretty dark and depressing one.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

    Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake.

    Currently Reading: All Star Comics, Justice League of America (Satalite years era), Huntress ('89 series)

  10. #1225
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,656

    Default

    Wally West is my Flash. Got into Flash with "Dead Heat" in Waid's first run, and was instantly hooked. Before that I didn't take DC seriously, I was instantly addicted to Marvel when I collected comics but this and Morrison's JLA really turned that around. Looking back, I was surprised to see future superstar artists like Pacheco and Larocca in Waid's Flash (Terminal Velocity), Flash always had great artists consistently along with the writing, it just overshadowed other titles like Ron Marz' Green Lantern. Not because they weren't good, it's just because Flash was that amazing.

    Rereading Waid's Flash Oscar Jiminez was creating numerous memorable panels that stuck with me to this day, especially #111. Wally and Savitar fist fighting at superspeed, Savitar bouncing off a blow from Wally into a lake then telekinetically throwing a buoy at Wally in response, Savitar smashing away the line of speedsters like a wrecking ball, Savitar in traffic in the middle of adjusting where to run to mid-sprint while Wally catches up behind him, Impulse playing chicken with Savitar and only surviving at the last second because Wally picked him up from being hit because he's a stupid kid, Savitar's clawed hand reaching up grab Wally as they run into the Speed Force only for Wally to catch it and throw him deeper into it. Epic visuals. I noticed that artists didn't stick around for longer than an arc, however. That's a shame. They were all so good.

    I think I'm the only fan of John Fox. I adored how that goofball tried replace Wally in the present and unintentionally sabotaged Wally coming back by putting the moves on Linda. Nearly started an ice age he was trying to prevent which he knew was coming since he came from the future. He was trying so hard to be a super-hero and failing at it.

  11. #1226
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    255

    Default

    David Finch's Death Metal #3 FOC variant (unfinished):

  12. #1227
    Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lille, France
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Can’t wait to see this bad boy in blue.

    I preordered this beauty.
    Good stories must survive : https://theflashlives.com/

  13. #1228
    Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Wally West is my Flash. Got into Flash with "Dead Heat" in Waid's first run, and was instantly hooked. Before that I didn't take DC seriously, I was instantly addicted to Marvel when I collected comics but this and Morrison's JLA really turned that around. Looking back, I was surprised to see future superstar artists like Pacheco and Larocca in Waid's Flash (Terminal Velocity), Flash always had great artists consistently along with the writing, it just overshadowed other titles like Ron Marz' Green Lantern. Not because they weren't good, it's just because Flash was that amazing.

    Rereading Waid's Flash Oscar Jiminez was creating numerous memorable panels that stuck with me to this day, especially #111. Wally and Savitar fist fighting at superspeed, Savitar bouncing off a blow from Wally into a lake then telekinetically throwing a buoy at Wally in response, Savitar smashing away the line of speedsters like a wrecking ball, Savitar in traffic in the middle of adjusting where to run to mid-sprint while Wally catches up behind him, Impulse playing chicken with Savitar and only surviving at the last second because Wally picked him up from being hit because he's a stupid kid, Savitar's clawed hand reaching up grab Wally as they run into the Speed Force only for Wally to catch it and throw him deeper into it. Epic visuals. I noticed that artists didn't stick around for longer than an arc, however. That's a shame. They were all so good.

    I think I'm the only fan of John Fox. I adored how that goofball tried replace Wally in the present and unintentionally sabotaged Wally coming back by putting the moves on Linda. Nearly started an ice age he was trying to prevent which he knew was coming since he came from the future. He was trying so hard to be a super-hero and failing at it.
    Could not agree more with this post. I love Dead Heat. Savitar was a great villain and Jimenez was amazing at the art. With a lot of great moments like u posted.

    5688564-img_4362.jpg


    Your not the only fan of John Fox. I like the character as well. His costume was really cool as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    David Finch's Death Metal #3 FOC variant (unfinished):
    Wow. That's epic. Getting more Hyped for Speed Metal.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

    Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake.

    Currently Reading: All Star Comics, Justice League of America (Satalite years era), Huntress ('89 series)

  14. #1229
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your mum's place
    Posts
    1,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I want this so damn bad. Along with the 2 statues in my avatar
    I need this!!!
    Where did you find this image??
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

  15. #1230
    Astonishing Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,530

    Default

    I generally don't like Finch's pencils and this is no exception. It reminds a lot of Jim Lee's recent Justice League Flash cover. Similar pose and grimace.

    I've always equated Flashes with being blue collar down-to-earth fellows, so whenever I see someone making them super angry it just reminds of edgy 90s stuff and it doesn't really feel 90s to me. Some artists can pull it off (Ringo was a fine example), but Finch is a miss for this Wally fan. He looks like Batman in a Flash costume.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •