Page 127 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah we can't take interview comments *too* seriously; everything they say is about marketing and drumming up hype more than it's about the actual product, and it's not uncommon for them to omit things or straight up lie either. For all we know right now, Wally will walk out of the story in a better position than he's been in since Barry's return.

However, it's still in poor taste given what the Wally fandom has put up with in recent years.

I gotta admit though, the new regime at DC does not fill me with a ton of confidence when it comes to Wally. Other characters like Superman and Nightwing, who have been abused by DC for years? They have larger media presence that the new administration wants to capitalize on. Wally? Not so much. Outside of comics his most recognizable version is from the Young Justice cartoon, which has little resemblance to the Wally we know from comics (being both a teenager as well as dead). I fear we're in much the same boat with the new administration as we were with the old one, except the new guys likely don't have a personal axe to grind with Wally the way Didio often seemed to. We likely won't see DC gleefully abuse Wally any more (no more than the typical "torture the hero for dramaz!" stuff) but I don't see him being a major point of investment either.
    Probably because the general public got to learn a lot about Barry, either because of the TV show or the DC live action movies, around the same time that DC was doing the big flashpoint/new 52 change up that focused solely on Barry until Rebirth happened. Where as Wally’s big break to the public was around a decade or two ago when he was the Flash back in Justice League/Unlimited, unfortunately for Wally it was Barry who got the big public push around the time he was getting a big push in the comics.

That’s not knocking against Barry, I like Barry, I like all the main earth Flashes, but it just happened to be the perfect storm that occurred that threw Barry into the spotlight when he made his big return and Wally was getting taken out of the picture. Personally my hope with this new writer is one big flash family book, I hope to see Jay, Barry, Wally, and Bart all together, Wallace has teen titans so I think he will be fine with occasional appearances, and that all Flash fans can be happy.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Yeah we can't take interview comments *too* seriously; everything they say is about marketing and drumming up hype more than it's about the actual product, and it's not uncommon for them to omit things or straight up lie either. For all we know right now, Wally will walk out of the story in a better position than he's been in since Barry's return.

However, it's still in poor taste given what the Wally fandom has put up with in recent years.

I gotta admit though, the new regime at DC does not fill me with a ton of confidence when it comes to Wally. Other characters like Superman and Nightwing, who have been abused by DC for years? They have larger media presence that the new administration wants to capitalize on. Wally? Not so much. Outside of comics his most recognizable version is from the Young Justice cartoon, which has little resemblance to the Wally we know from comics (being both a teenager as well as dead). I fear we're in much the same boat with the new administration as we were with the old one, except the new guys likely don't have a personal axe to grind with Wally the way Didio often seemed to. We likely won't see DC gleefully abuse Wally any more (no more than the typical "torture the hero for dramaz!" stuff) but I don't see him being a major point of investment either.
    See, I disagree. I believe TPTB at the moment actually want to do right, if nothing else just to shut down the hate torrent.

But I also believe they dropped the ball in this "reveal", and that this first arc "mistery" is poor strategy. And the new writer apparently is new to comics: it seems almost cruel to me to drop him in Flash fandom as his first assignment, honestly.

What DC needed to do right now, with this franchise in particular, is go: "Here's what we're going to do: you you'll be happy because X, and you on the other hand will be happy because Y". And then actually do it. And that's it.

Starting up with "we'll see who is faster" is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, in many many levels.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    Mark Waid seems to have faith in the new management. He would know, yes?
    We hope so, yes.

But he has too kind a heart (I met him, I'd know!) and, as far as we know, is not officially back yet.

So he may be as disapointed as the rest of us.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Mighty Member

See the solicit:

Flash fans : We are in the endgame.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    See, I disagree. I believe TPTB at the moment actually want to do right, if nothing else just to shut down the hate torrent.

But I also believe they dropped the ball in this "reveal", and that this first arc "mistery" is poor strategy. And the new writer apparently is new to comics: it seems almost cruel to me to drop him in Flash fandom as his first assignment, honestly.

What DC needed to do right now, with this franchise in particular, is go: "Here's what we're going to do: you you'll be happy because X, and you on the other hand will be happy because Y". And then actually do it. And that's it.

Starting up with "we'll see who is faster" is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, in many many levels.
    Yup. Totally agree.
    DC still haven't learnt that it's not about who is faster. We don't care if Wally can beat Barry in a race.
    The CHARACTERS don't care who's faster either (Or they SHOULDN'T).

I think everyone would be happy just giving us good solid stories with the entire Flash family.
    Jay, Barry, Wally, Bart, Max, John, Johnny, Jesse, Jai & Iris.
    There are SO many great stories to be told! DC have been on the Barry bandwagon for 20 years, to the detriment of everyone else. Change that, and a whole lot of people will be happy.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

I care that Wally's faster. It's fairly important to his characterization that he surpassed Barry. If Barry came back and was just immediately better just by being Barry then it undermines Wally's growth.

That said, everything about Barry coming back has undermined Wally's growth so it's just another drop in the bucket. But it's more than just power level chat.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

So, you're saying I have been right all along?

Jokes aside, I don't like the look of this. The writer seems to have no idea where he's getting into or what he is writing. Some of these statements almost seem as troll-bait. If I was into conspiracy theories, I'd say that DC said "ok, now say some shiot to distract from Geofrey Thorne hating Jordan" or something.
    I have admitted you were right that one time and I shall never repeat the experience

I think the writer is just a little inexperienced at doing interviews. He doesn't know how to sidestep and placate fanboys the way old pros like Geoff Johns and Jim Lee do (before going ahead and doing exactly what everyone was afraid they would do).

I will give the new writer an issue (or two depending upon the art) to convince me this isn't simply going to be reheated leftovers from Flash War and Heroes in Crisis.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    I care that Wally's faster. It's fairly important to his characterization that he surpassed Barry. If Barry came back and was just immediately better just by being Barry then it undermines Wally's growth.

That said, everything about Barry coming back has undermined Wally's growth so it's just another drop in the bucket. But it's more than just power level chat.
    It's odd that he would even bring up who's faster when Flash War pretty definitively established that it's Wally.

I thought people would have caught up on it faster but oh well...after trauma after trauma it seems normal.

A retirement set up is almost always due for a come back in fiction, and we've already had the race in Flash War. But I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Barry will probably win this one, just to "win the bet" and bring Wally back into the fold. I'm expecting Flash book to be a team up book from this point onward, like how modern Kamen Riders do it most of the time as "duo leads". I don't know, this feels like a way to wrap up the past plotlines and establish the new status quo.

It's also better for the series too. Williamson did the best with a solo Barry but his best stories had Flash Family in it. I guess they realized they've exhausted the options for "solo Barry". And Didio's aim was accomplished anyway: public prefers Barry now.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    It's also better for the series too. Williamson did the best with a solo Barry but his best stories had Flash Family in it. I guess they realized they've exhausted the options for "solo Barry". And Didio's aim was accomplished anyway: public prefers Barry now.
    A solo series Barry series would actually be great, but DC did him a dirty by grafting everything Wally onto him.
    I'd be a happy camper if we continue getting Flash twice a month. One book centred on Barry, the other on Wally with the rest of the Flash family appearing in both.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Incredible Member

We have:

"Beginning with The Flash #768, after the events spanning from DC Universe: Rebirth to Heroes in Crisis to Dark Nights: Death Metal, the former Kid Flash decides to call it quits," DC continues. "Family is more important to Wally West than a connection to the Speed Force.
    (Implying that Wally would just stop being Flash cause family, just like '09)
    Situation's pretty different from '09. First, there's the minor issue of "staying out of prison" (he's only out of prison in the first place because notWatcher literally kidnapped him). Maybe he would be able to get out of that - he was depressed and refusing to engage with lawyers before - but it's still something that should have to be sorted out.

Second, look at everything since Rebirth. Even *before* HiC, he was a mess because outside of a single-figure number of people he didn't exist in the eyes of the world, least of all his wife, and his kids didn't exist at all. Now, his kids are back, his wife remembers him, and presumably the whole "one universe"/anti-Crisis thing means that his history is going to be moored back in place once Death Metal shakes out. I don't think taking a step back would be a stupid thing at all, even if he clears his name legally.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    I thought people would have caught up on it faster but oh well...after trauma after trauma it seems normal.

A retirement set up is almost always due for a come back in fiction, and we've already had the race in Flash War. But I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Barry will probably win this one, just to "win the bet" and bring Wally back into the fold. I'm expecting Flash book to be a team up book from this point onward, like how modern Kamen Riders do it most of the time as "duo leads". I don't know, this feels like a way to wrap up the past plotlines and establish the new status quo.

They do? Seems people don't prefer one or the other. Maybe this will just resolve the whole dilemma by making them both leads.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    Mark Waid seems to have faith in the new management. He would know, yes?
    He'd certainly know better than we would, yes. And I myself am hopeful that these new folks will breathe new life into DC; most of what we've been hearing sounds pretty solid so far, I think.

Ah, let me clarify. The new management seem to want to do things right, I totally agree. Didio's old philosophy of "controversy keeps fans engaged!" is a proven bad business strategy in the long-term, and I think the new folks know better and *do* want readers to be happy as well as engaged.

But that doesn't mean Wally is a *priority* for them, and there's a big difference between Wally being abused and Wally just being second fiddle to Barry. I figure we can expect the abuse to stop; Wally will get his family, history and life back with no more of this "he's killing everyone!" bullsh*t. He'll be closer to the Wally we remember than he's been in years. That'll all be great and I really hope it happens quickly (no pun intended).

But I don't see DC pushing him; no solo book, no League membership, etc. I see DC wanting Wally to be healthy, respected, and enjoyable....as part of Barry's supporting cast. I don't think we'll see Wally driving his own narrative, he'll be fueling Barry's. Which is better than we're getting now but still not what we want, or what Wally is capable of.

I could be wrong, of course, and even if I'm right we'll still be way better off than we are right now. But I think DC sees Barry as the Flash and Wally as just part of the mythos; the "best friend" and not a "leading man."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

But that doesn't mean Wally is a *priority* for them, and there's a big difference between Wally being abused and Wally just being second fiddle to Barry. I figure we can expect the abuse to stop; Wally will get his family, history and life back with no more of this "he's killing everyone!" bullsh*t. He'll be closer to the Wally we remember than he's been in years. That'll all be great and I really hope it happens quickly (no pun intended).

But I don't see DC pushing him; no solo book, no League membership, etc. I see DC wanting Wally to be healthy, respected, and enjoyable....as part of Barry's supporting cast. I don't think we'll see Wally driving his own narrative, he'll be fueling Barry's. Which is better than we're getting now but still not what we want, or what Wally is capable of.

I could be wrong, of course, and even if I'm right we'll still be way better off than we are right now. But I think DC sees Barry as the Flash and Wally as just part of the mythos; the "best friend" and not a "leading man."

I have faith in what Waid said, that they wanted Wally "returned to his place of prominence. Trust me." It sounds like they are trying to rethink the approach to the Flash; they have exhausted the possibilities right now with Barry and his dead mom.

Of course the Flash isn't a priority for DC; that honor goes to Batman, Harley Quinn, and Joker. I don't believe that Wally will be any second banana going forward.

I hope you're right!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.