Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm not complaining, because that art is seriously good looking; but realistically, I think that city is too big for its time (late 1800, I guess?). Or too tall. Or both. But the art is very pretty. Air pollution, on the other hand, is probably very much like it would have been.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-16-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I'm not complaining, because that art is seriously good looking; but realistically, I think that city is too big for its time (late 1800, I guess?). Or too tall. Or both. But the art is very pretty. Air pollution, on the other hand, is probably very much like it would have been.
    The 1880s, yes. I think the in-story justification was the Four Founding Fathers were really pushing for urban development to be the best city in the world, a rival to Metropolis that's also ahead of its time, but I forget where I get that info or if it's even real.

Gotham landscape in Arkham Knight

BAK-1-983x553.jpg

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Attachment 91671

Gotham Town in the 1800s from All-Star Western #1
    The era of Jonah Hex, Amadeus Arkham, and Bruce's great-great-grandparents Alan Wayne and Catherine Van Derm
    It seems the London of the late 1800.

batman-animated-series-gotham-city.jpg

Gotham in BTAS. Unlike the comics, it's located in the state of New York and later Gotham State

The 1880s, yes. I think the in-story justification was the Four Founding Fathers were really pushing for urban development to be the best city in the world, a rival to Metropolis that's also ahead of its time, but I forget where I get that info or if it's even real.

Gotham landscape in Arkham Knight

BAK-1-983x553.jpg
    Mmm... I guess, if you push the development of reinforced concrete to the early 1800s, you could find skycrapers of that many floors, because it has become a widespread construction material by the end of that century. With that, and the Founding Fathers hand in projecting and building the city, I can see Gotham looking like that, or like NY in the 1910 in this link: https://books.google.es/books?id=iU4...page&q&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Mmm... I guess, if you push the development of reinforced concrete to the early 1800s, you could find skycrapers of that many floors, because it has become a widespread construction material by the end of that century. With that, and the Founding Fathers hand in projecting and building the city, I can see Gotham looking like that, or like NY in the 1910 in this link: https://books.google.es/books?id=iU4...page&q&f=false
    I don't know anything about the real world architecture development, but in Gotham history, they thought it's impossible to build skyscrapers too until Alan Wayne found a young architect that he put in charge on building his bridge in 1881

6520e3076beb6466f4e36db1753f97a7._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Gates of Gotham #1
    The previous page mentioned they want to push Gotham past metropolis, but I don't know if it refers to Metropolis or Gotham already being a huge city.

Looking at that cityscape in the second to last panel, this is definitely set before Hex arrived in Gotham in All-Star Western #1
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-17-2020 at 08:12 AM.

There's a story about the guy Joker and other villains hire to make their hideout. Is it in the comics or BTAS?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

There's a story about the guy Joker and other villains hire to make their hideout. Is it in the comics or BTAS?
    You probably think of Paul Dini s TEC/Streets of Gotham. The broker helping Zsasz and Joker buy property.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 01-22-2020 at 12:21 AM.