Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Default Gotham City Appreciation 2020

Welcome to the most popular, most notorious, most awful, densely-populated, mob-ridden, crime-infested, occult-influenced, gargoyle-decorated, historical city with the highest mortality, insanity, inmate escape, prison takeover, and sidekick turnover rate the DC Universe has ever seen

Gotham_lr_541b7e129bb741.17557771.jpg

Our landmarks include the notorious Arkham Asylum and Blackgate Penitentiary, stately Wayne Manor, hipster neighborhood Burnside, the towering Wayne Enterprises, and trusty GCPD HQ with the iconic Bat-Signal on its rooftop.

Leave your guns at the Gates, stay away from dark alleys, don't forget to apply for The Dark Knight Returns insurance policy and keep Victims, Inc.'s contact info on hand.

You'll need it

One of my projects for 2020 is modeling the city in 3D as closely as possible from the comics, based on as much current data as possible.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    One of my projects for 2020 is modeling the city in 3D as closely as possible from the comics, based on as much current data as possible.
    If you do, please, share here some pics. I would love to see it. I love that kind of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    If you do, please, share here some pics. I would love to see it. I love that kind of things.
    Absolutely. I'm still in the gathering reference phase (which will probably be ongoing).
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Absolutely. I'm still in the gathering reference phase (which will probably be ongoing).
    Feel free to share those too!!

Awesome. I've been gathering loads of references but limited to what I can find online since I don't own many books yet.

17w24fo4z1wy1jpg.jpg

In the early 90s before the map of Gotham was created, the city was positioned in the state of New Jersey facing Delaware Bay, right across Metropolis in the state of Delaware. This concept of twin cities most recently used in the Batman vs Superman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    Feel free to share those too!!
    Seconding that request, too!

87a105c627c63e7907651ec90573c8db._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Here is the most recent Gotham map, used in Snyder and Capullo's Zero Year based on the No Man's Land map
    Unfortunately, they don't use a legend so we don't know if anything changed from No Man's Land period until now... or rather... the past version of now... or if No Man's Land happened in New 52 or not

I found one even more recent than that, which is apparently the official map used by DC as of right now (or at least as recently as 2016). It comes direct from James Harvey (designer of the map of Burnside), who consulted with editor Chris Conroy:

That does sound right. Before you post it I only have descriptions on the newer places but they fit the map.
    R. H. Kane building is on the Upper East Side
    The Narrows is between the middle and south island on the Finger River, although this one is easy to check because it's big and already included in the Capullo map.
    Iceberg Lounge is parked and sail on the Gotham Bay, not Gotham River for example.
    Some shapes are different like Cape Carmine used to bend to the south.

The rest of the names are the same except they renamed the southmost bridge to Burnside Bridge.

The difference is the Zero Year one has more bridges. This is because, in the Court of Owls, Snyder said that the old Wayne Tower has 12 Gargoyles to watch each entrance to the city. 6 bridges and 6 tunnels.

Here's the No Man's Land map. The significant difference is it still includes the Bristol Township and Drake Household near Wayne Manor.
    Gotham_map.jpg

What still confuses me though is the location of Old Gotham. There's an older No Man's Land map that's still a WIP that puts Old Gotham in the south alongside Clock Tower and the description of the Clock Tower does put it in Old Gotham, but in the final iteration there they put it in the north.

Oh wait, that's the low res one. I'll repost later with the high res one.

I can't repost the high res one. It's automatically resized.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-01-2020 at 05:26 AM.

Happy New Year to my favorite "worst" city .

A map showing Gotham City to be located in New Jersey from Amazing World of DC Comics #14 (March.jpg

A map showing Gotham City to be located in New Jersey from Amazing World of DC Comics #14 (March 1977). Art by Dick Dillin.

So the idea of Metropolis and Gotham City being twin cities across the bay is at least that old.

A1iKaCBVxXL._SL1500_.jpg

I think this is the most recent map but without Burnside
    I don't remember where I got it though

Oh, now I noticed Newtown. That's where Crime Alley used to be located but now it's moved to the right, and it's confusing because I always thought Crime Alley and Park Row to be the older part of town.

I need to know what the old town means here. Is it old as in before Bruce became an adult or old as in really old, like Alan Wayne old? Because if it's Alan Wayne old, it makes sense why Crime Alley can be that far from Old Town
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-03-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Batman-Arkham-Origins-Map.jpg

This one is a map in Arkham Origins

They got most of the location of the northern island but moved Burnley to the south island with the Diamond District

I don't think there's a Coventry in the comic Gotham map... no... just Cathedral Square

The islands are much smaller... or the bridge is way bigger.

They need to use the bridge for the Firefly fight so I guess that's why it's so big
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-05-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Gotham's most notable cityzens by Dustin Nguyen: