Page 21 of 85 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    New pic from Carmen Carnero's Instagram and Twitter account. If you look at this and feel no love then you have given yourself away replicant human.

This is adorable.

New pic from Carmen Carnero's Instagram and Twitter account. If you look at this and feel no love then you have given yourself away replicant human.

Ah, a Spider-Ham cameo.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ah, a Spider-Ham cameo.
    I've been expecting it since i saw a Spider-Ham toy in the baby crib in the last issue (i think)

Astonishing Member

Pretty spot on take on how a person can seem older than they actually are depending on how they "handle" themselves. I remember when I was in my late teens and my mom told me the next door neighbor thought I was in my early 20's due to how she saw me handle myself.

Pretty sure the only reason this might not apply to Miles is because he has a youthful face with no facial hair. He has the same maturity as Robbie but the facial hair helps make it harder to gauge his age range.
    It also probably helps in Robbie's case that his design (along with the other teens his age in his book) didn't incorporate the tendency to make teens short in fictional media as part of a short-hand for age. Many teens Robbie's age (17/18) look like or more closely like adults/how they will look like as fully grown adults than fiction tends to imply. (In fiction, just about everyone is always a late bloomer.) So coupling that with his other character traits, personality, outlook, and demeanor, you have what you have with Robbie.

Also, I'd say Miles and Robbie are mature individuals in different ways. That's due to the contexts of their pasts and how they grew up (environment, circumstances, etc.) informing said maturity differently. Honestly, in spite of the crazy hero stuff Miles had to go through since getting his powers, he managed to maintain his childhood in a way that Robbie really wasn't able to, even before Robbie got his powers. Robbie pretty much had to live as an adult, despite still being a kid/teen, whereas Miles still feels very much like a kid his age, even though his sense of maturity and general self-discipline rather outstrips most kids his age-range most of the time. One thing being that Miles, even introvert Miles, is considerably more social and socially inclined than Robbie. Miles has friends that he makes efforts to hang with and have as a part of his life, even if he has to juggle to do so. Sans Gabe (and Lisa, and that was a unique circumstance as part of his character arc), Robbie doesn't really have that, and isn't inclined to seek having that (again, a lot stuff Robbie's not willing to put with due to the area he lives in).

Not to mention nobody really knew Peter was a teenager back when he started out, and he had similar responsibilities to Robbie of having to basically take care of his entire family at 16.
    While there are base similarities between Robbie and teen Peter, once again, I'd say their contexts that inform them and how their situations were played in practice out make them different, and in this case, not nearly as comparable as they might seem. The biggest thing being that Peter's double life aside, while he was using said double-life to help his Aunt May pay the bills, May was still his caretaker at that time. She was still taking care of Peter then, and still the head of the household, including before Peter got his powers. How their situations were played in practice made teen Peter in practice almost completely different than Robbie in practice.

Also, a small side bar, but in hindsight, teen Peter sometimes felt like he was one of the most social/socially functional social-outcast-nerds around.

I'm extremely pleased they aren't wasting any time or opportunities milking these two like this, which is as it should be.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 03-27-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    While there are base similarities between Robbie and teen Peter, once again, I'd say their contexts that inform them and how their situations were played in practice out make them different, and in this case, not nearly as comparable as they might seem. The biggest thing being that Peter's double life aside, while he was using said double-life to help his Aunt May pay the bills, May was still his caretaker at that time. She was still taking care of Peter then, and still the head of the household, including before Peter got his powers. How their situations were played in practice made teen Peter in practice almost completely different than Robbie in practice.
    Yeah, it's pretty easy to forget that Aunt May wasn't always stuck in bed, so she helped feed and take care of Peter even if eventually he had to take care of her more and more until he left for college.
    Also, a small side bar, but in hindsight, teen Peter sometimes felt like he was one of the most social/socially functional social-outcast-nerds around.
    It's kind of a miracle that someone his age could handle so much suffering, abuse, and stress as a teenager in a generation far removed from the one teen heroes have now and still come out a functioning and stable adult who can still do the things he does.

Astonishing Member

It's kind of a miracle that someone his age could handle so much suffering, abuse, and stress as a teenager in a generation far removed from the one teen heroes have now and still come out a functioning and stable adult who can still do the things he does.
    Not really what I was indicating with that post, honestly. But I suppose nether here nor there in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm diggin the solo.

I'm gonna pass on Champions. I tried a couple issues and I still don't like Ms. Marvel and she's just too front and center for me to enjoy it.

I heard Miles was pretty big in Venom's first story arc. Is it worth a read?
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post

I'm gonna pass on Champions. I tried a couple issues and I still don't like Ms. Marvel and she's just too front and center for me to enjoy it.

Yeah, generally speaking, Donny Cates's Venom is the best Venom has been yet, and Miles also plays a part in Absolute Carnage, which Cates's Venom has been setting up since the first arc.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Truth be told, Donny Cates has gone on record saying that Miles is one of his favorite characters and before his Venom run premiered a fan during a con asked him during a panel what dream Marvel character he would like to write for and, Cates immediately said Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post

It's good. It introduces Knull who I'm guessing will get an event sometime in the future.

Truth be told, Donny Cates has gone on record saying that Miles is one of his favorite characters and before his Venom run premiered a fan during a con asked him during a panel what dream Marvel character he would like to write for and, Cates immediately said Miles.
    I'd definitely love to see Cates write Miles again, those Venom issues were fun.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    I'd definitely love to see Cates write Miles again, those Venom issues were fun.
    I'd definitely read it. If/when Saladin's run were to end, Cates would definitely be on my short list.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I'd definitely read it. If/when Saladin's run were to end, Cates would definitely be on my short list.
    I remember people speculating Cates could take over ASM once he finishes his Venom run, but him writing Miles would be interesting. Although I think Ahmed will be on for a while.

A whole load of black heroes appearing in Black Panther, including Miles.

But why the hell isn't he wearing his mask? In a big crowd like that, it would blow his secret identity.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It is rather strange that he's the only masked hero who's not wearing his mask