Page 39 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Miles needs a book with an adjective in the name the same way Peter has The Amazing Spider-Man. To call it Miles Morales: Spider-Man or vice-versa just makes him feel like The 'Other' Spider-Man.
    It's funny you bring that up, in the excerpt to that new scholastic book I posted earlier Miles is referred to as Ultimate Spider-Man. I have no idea what other modifier could be added though, the other Spider-Men usually go by their dimension like 2099 and Noire or their theme like Spider-Punk and Spider UK. Off the top of my head the only non-Peter Spider-Man that had an adjective besides Miles was Otto.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    does anyone control the name of the old pulp character?
    Huh, forgot about that guy. Yeah, I imagine someone has the rights to him. Dynamite had the character licensed, I think they no longer do but someone else has the rights.

Well then, what about "Arachnid"? No "Kid Arachnid", just Arachnid.

(Althought, again, I think at this point they're sticking with Spider-Man.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    It's funny you bring that up, in the excerpt to that new scholastic book I posted earlier Miles is referred to as Ultimate Spider-Man. I have no idea what other modifier could be added though, the other Spider-Men usually go by their dimension like 2099 and Noire or their theme like Spider-Punk and Spider UK. Off the top of my head the only non-Peter Spider-Man that had an adjective besides Miles was Otto.
    Ultimate fits as well as anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Huh, forgot about that guy. Yeah, I imagine someone has the rights to him. Dynamite had the character licensed, I think they no longer do but someone else has the rights.

I still expect codename issues in media where he's not the lead character unless Peter's not in it.

Incredible Member

That is way too boring a name, and i'll take unoriginal Spider-Man over boring.

And i may be talking out of my Webshooter here, but i don't imagine there are many people reading and loving Miles' series issue-to-issue years-on-end but also going "Ya know, this book would be so much better if he wasn't called Spider-Man" as if a name change would suddenly bump up the quality of Miles as a character when everything else about him would literally be the same. The Pessimist in me is saying the people who adamantly want his name changed don't even read the character(and wouldn't suddenly start just because of a name change.) and just want to to protect their "Peter Parker turf".

Astonishing Member

Names like 'Kid Arachnid' and 'Spider-Boy' are simply not kosher if we are talking Spider-Man. Stan and Steve went out of their way to give Peter the title of "Man" for a reason. Miles deserves that same respect.

I don't think 'Ultimate Spider-Man' would work either, and for two reasons:

1. It is associated with Peter as much as is it with Miles, if not more. I don't think you can ever fully disconnect 'Ultimate Spider-Man' from Peter simply due to the impact that Pre-Miles Ultimate Spider-Man was already having on comic history.

2. As long as they are in the same universe, calling Miles 'The Ultimate Spider-Man' implies he is better and that there is competition between him and other Spider-Men. Titles like 'The Amazing Spider-Man' don't necessarily mean that other Spider-Characters aren't amazing, though.

I can't think of anything better either, but I wouldn't mind Miles appropriating one of Peter's lesser-known titles, like The Sensational Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 07-31-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ultimate fits as well as anything else.

I still expect codename issues in media where he's not the lead character unless Peter's not in it.
    True, but at least the cases where that's been the case have just been some fairly lackluster cartoons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post

And i may be talking out of my Webshooter here, but i don't imagine there are many people reading and loving Miles' series issue-to-issue years-on-end but also going "Ya know, this book would be so much better if he wasn't called Spider-Man" as if a name change would suddenly bump up the quality of Miles as a character when everything else about him would literally be the same. The Pessimist in me is saying the people who adamantly want his name changed don't even read the character(and wouldn't suddenly start just because of a name change.) and just want to to protect their "Peter Parker turf".
    That's my exact belief and have never been lead to believe otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I don't think 'Ultimate Spider-Man' would work either, and for two reasons:

1. It is associated with Peter as much as is it with Miles, if not more. I don't think you can ever fully disconnect 'Ultimate Spider-Man' from Peter simply due to the impact that Pre-Miles Ultimate Spider-Man was already having on comic history.

2. As long as they are in the same universe, calling Miles 'The Ultimate Spider-Man' implies he is better and that there is competition between him and other Spider-Men. Titles like 'The Amazing Spider-Man' don't necessarily mean that other Spider-Characters aren't amazing, though.

I can't think of anything better either, but I wouldn't mind Miles appropriating one of Peter's lesser-known titles, like The Sensational Spider-Man.
    For your first point I can see that for some of the comic crowd, but not so much the general audience since there was already merchandise referring to him by Ultimate. As for the second point it's not like he'd be called that in universe like Otto when he referred to himself. At worst I could see some confusion about whether he was back in 1610 or not.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post

Pretty much, yeah.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Araña is a feminine noun in spanish.
    Really? Isn't Spider-Man called Hombre-Araña in that language? Which literally translates to Man-Spider. If it's a feminine name, then you're saying Hombre-Araña means Man-Girl-Spider.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

True, but at least the cases where that's been the case have just been some fairly lackluster cartoons.

That's my exact belief and have never been lead to believe otherwise.

For your first point I can see that for some of the comic crowd, but not so much the general audience since there was already merchandise referring to him by Ultimate. As for the second point it's not like he'd be called that in universe like Otto when he referred to himself. At worst I could see some confusion about whether he was back in 1610 or not.
    There was also a successful video game and a very marketable Peter-centric show that were called Ultimate. As for the second point, I'm still skeptic it would work. Peter isn't called The Amazing Spider-Man either, but it is still what he is associated by in real life. Miles needs a neutral adjective that he can be exclusively associated with without implying competition between the Spiders. I think The Sensational Spider-Man would be a perfect name for his book as it is still iconic and neutral, but was barely ever associated with Peter.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-01-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Really? Isn't Spider-Man called Hombre-Araña in that language? Which literally translates to Man-Spider. If it's a feminine name, then you're saying Hombre-Araña means Man-Girl-Spider.
    Beacuse in that case, the emphasis is in Hombre.

El Hombre-Araña
    La Araña

Peter Parker: The Amazing Spider-Man
    Miles Morales:The Ultimate Spider-Man
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

I think it's been part of marketing to some extent as well, where Miles is promoted more as "Miles" than being referred to as Spider-Man. The PS5 games seems to be the main outlier in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    Peter Parker: The Amazing Spider-Man
    Miles Morales:The Ultimate Spider-Man
    To be honest, I could see them not wanting to use that name again because of the connotations. Either people assume it's set in the Ultimate Universe again or it's connected to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon which dragged that adjective down with it.

I liked Shadow Spider more than Spy-D.

Ps. Coming up with superhero names is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I liked Shadow Spider more than Spy-D.

Ps. Coming up with superhero names is hard.
    It doesn't hurt that the costume is also amazing. I don't know how but i'd love to see it pop up in comics again someday. And yeah new names are ridiculously hard to come up with with the amount of factors to take into consideration.

As a new adjective/tagline if they want to pick up that spy direction again, which I wouldn't be opposed to, I think Secret Agent: Spider-Man has a pretty nice ring to it. He of course would keep the Spider-Man name, have his own unique tagline, and would have his own unique gimmick.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Honestly at this point they kind of backed themselves into a corner with renaming Miles. Especially in a post-Into the Spider-Verse time it'd be a bad look to walk back on his codename. The complete retool that Bendis seemed like he was edging towards most likely would've tanked the character TBH. And yeah, I get the argument that more people know him for his real name than as Spider-Man but if we're keeping it real it's kind of the same for majority of his contemporary characters.

That and I think, for better or worse, the only people who actually care are the minority of the militant "Peter should be the only Spider" crowd.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 08-01-2020 at 04:44 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.