Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default If Nick Spencer's run is acknowleding Sin's Past, why not just retcon it

So its debatable if Spencer's run is making vague hints to that reviled storyline and if so, why not just retcon it? No one likes it, we all agree its stupid so why not just do everyone a favor and get rid of it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSJG View Post
    So its debatable if Spencer's run is making vague hints to that reviled storyline and if so, why not just retcon it? No one likes it, we all agree its stupid so why not just do everyone a favor and get rid of it?
    I think Spencer is a ‘warts and all’ kind of guy. He doesn’t believe in discarding stories just because they’re bad or unpopular; he’s made clone saga references, Sins Past, and most infamously a ton of OMD/BND references. I think it’s cool in a way that he’s not running away from that stuff, but instead embracing it. Makes his run a bit edgier than those that just want to bury every past story that isn’t ‘Death of Gwen’ related.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I think Spencer is a ‘warts and all’ kind of guy. He doesn’t believe in discarding stories just because they’re bad or unpopular; he’s made clone saga references, Sins Past, and most infamously a ton of OMD/BND references. I think it’s cool in a way that he’s not running away from that stuff, but instead embracing it. Makes his run a bit edgier than those that just want to bury every past story that isn’t ‘Death of Gwen’ related.
    I do not think referencing Sins Past makes a run edgier. What makes a run that way is going in a direction no one has gone before. The Suicide of Kraven’s Last Hunt comes to mind, so do the “drug issues” just to name two examples. Speaking of ASM 121, that would qualify as edgy because of the shock of seeing Gwen die. Spencer has done nothing that offers the shock value of those three comics.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I do not think referencing Sins Past makes a run edgier. What makes a run that way is going in a direction no one has gone before. The Suicide of Kraven’s Last Hunt comes to mind, so do the “drug issues” just to name two examples. Speaking of ASM 121, that would qualify as edgy because of the shock of seeing Gwen die. Spencer has done nothing that offers the shock value of those three comics.
    You know, there is more than one way to be “edgy”, right? Speaking of ASM 121, yes it was edgy.... 48 years ago when it happened. And KLH was 33 years ago. It’s kind of a cliche to reference them at this point. I think Sins Past is an awful storyline, but I also think it’s a bit cowardly to pretend it never happened. Spencer is a mixed bag to me, but he does seem to be taking some chances with Kindred and all the OMD/BND references, so yes, I think his run is a bit edgy.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Good or bad, it’s Spider-Man’s history.

That would be too easy. Like with how many stories people say are bad if it's easily retcon what's the point? For a story that never ends you are bound to get bad issues. Like which ongoing american comic is perfect from the start to finish? Deal with the consequences of your actions
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

the story's reputation has made acknowledging it infinitely more interesting than the obvious solution of ignoring it
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    the story's reputation has made acknowledging it infinitely more interesting than the obvious solution of ignoring it
    I hate OMD and it’s aftermath BND with a passion, but I do understand how important it is, so if people at Marvel want to keep it ( and Peter juvenile) until Amazing 1000 ( or forever), then so be it. But teasing people about it is not the approach either. You are better off being honest and saying why you think it is a good thing and leave it up to the readers to decide if they wish to continue. Sins Past is an entirely different animal ( It is about Osborn, Gwen ( and to a lesser extent) MJ NOT Peter). Which is why no one considers that an important story, so if the Stacy Twins never appeared again it is no big deal, so why reference it at all?

Astonishing Member

If he was just going to do that, we wouldn't be waiting for him to retcon OMD.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    If he was just going to do that, we wouldn't be waiting for him to retcon OMD.
    How do we know he is getting rid of OMD? The answer is we do not. We have not even got passed Kindred after two years. I would rather have Spencer be honest and say OMD is going nowhere and why he feels it is a necessity then playing games. For example: I think about Slott saying he has no use for MJ. Did I agree? Of course not, but it is better then the Jackpot story.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    How do we know he is getting rid of OMD? The answer is we do not. We have not even got passed Kindred after two years. I would rather have Spencer be honest and say OMD is going nowhere and why he feels it is a necessity then playing games. For example: I think about Slott saying he has no use for MJ. Did I agree? Of course not, but it is better then the Jackpot story.
    The fact that Spencer has acknowledged OMD as much as he has is 10x better than ignoring it. Beyond that everyone in Spider-Man is being written in character again. That at the heart of it all is the most important thing. I was happy when Peter and MJ got back together again with no idea of whether or not OMD would ever be brought up. Further, never did expect to have a story of Peter acknowledging he wants to marry MJ again and here we are. Further, the fact that the heart of Spencer’s run and big bad is now revealed to tie back to OMD has me extatic. Honestly this run is a dream come true for me. I do hope it continues through to the end how Spencer intends it to be and nothing gets in the way of that. I trust Spencer on this. For all his interviews, he has proudly proclaimed Peter and MJ are true loves and MJ is the perfect partner for Peter. He seems to be right in the same headspace Im at as a fan of the character and he truly understands and loves Spider-Man and accepts all the lore, which is perfect.

Incredible Member

There is no indication of ANY kind that there will be a retcon of OMD by Spencer.

It does appear he is "touching" base with the storyline and most likely is adding to it. I am interested if he will recall the explanation of Harry's return provided in Amazing 581-582 "Mind on Fire".

While I am in the camp of being underwhelmed by Last Remains, I'm expecting the bar to lower even more when issues 56-68 come out, as they are not only supposed be aftermath issues but teased as being the "End of an Era".

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    There is no indication of ANY kind that there will be a retcon of OMD by Spencer.

It does appear he is "touching" base with the storyline and most likely is adding to it. I am interested if he will recall the explanation of Harry's return provided in Amazing 581-582 "Mind on Fire".

While I am in the camp of being underwhelmed by Last Remains, I'm expecting the bar to lower even more when issues 56-68 come out, as they are not only supposed be aftermath issues but teased as being the "End of an Era".
    At this point, I'm expecting "End of an Era" is marketing hype Spencer doesn't intend just as much as issue 55 being "you will never see Peter the same way again" that Spencer didn't intend.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

I don't think anyone expects a retcon of OMD. I do expect it will play a critical role in the climax of Spencers run the way he is building things and I do believe Peter will be forced to confess and acknowledge what he has done. I feel like Spencer is going to use this to bring a cathartic end to the retcon and make EVERYTHING COUNT again in Spider-Man lore again. I feel like he is the kind of fan who doesn't want ANYTHING swept under the rug, and he can finally shine the spotlight he elephant in the room that fans have been complaining about all these years. Hopefully he is allowed to make something good come out of it for both Peter and MJ and they can both move forward together with all the knowledge and memories of their marriage intact.

At the end of the day, we still live in a world where I don't think Marvel is ready for Peter and MJ to marry again, but if they are willing to acknowledge the marriage in canon, that takes away the sting of OMD, and it also removes some of the arguements for why Peter can't be married in the first place since you can't use the excuse that he is too young to be married anymore.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 01-01-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I don't think anyone expects a retcon of OMD. I do expect it will play a critical role in the climax of Spencers run the way he is building things and I do believe Peter will be forced to confess and acknowledge what he has done. I feel like Spencer is going to use this to bring a cathartic end to the retcon and make EVERYTHING COUNT again in Spider-Man lore again. I feel like he is the kind of fan who doesn't want ANYTHING swept under the rug, and he can finally shine the spotlight he elephant in the room that fans have been complaining about all these years. Hopefully he is allowed to make something good come out of it for both Peter and MJ and they can both move forward together with all the knowledge and memories of their marriage intact.

At the end of the day, we still live in a world where I don't think Marvel is ready for Peter and MJ to marry again, but if they are willing to acknowledge the marriage in canon, that takes away the sting of OMD, and it also removes some of the arguements for why Peter can't be married in the first place since you can't use the excuse that he is too young to be married anymore.
    I hope you are right but I do not see it. My prediction is OMD is not going away until Amazing 1000 at the earliest. Why? Marvel loves it. How can I be so sure? If not why have Miles and Otto make similar deals?