Page 1 of 85 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man Appreciation 2020

Welcome to the Miles Morales appreciation thread, the thread to discuss all things Miles Morales
    No character bashing and remember to keep discussions civil please
    With the start of a new year begins a new year of discussion
    Miles_Morales_(Earth-1610)_from_Civil_War_II_Vol_1_6_001.jpg
    “A hero isn’t the one who always wins...it’s the one who always tries.”

Reading Order:
    https://www.comicbookherald.com/mile...reading-order/

Respect Thread:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/respectthre...5d&sh=0ac8101e

I asked this in the old thread but since that's closed and a new year is beginning what are everyone's hopes for the upcoming year? I personally want more minis and one shots and maybe a different artist, I'm just gonna have to accept Garron's art just doesn't vibe with me.

I'll post my hopes from the 2019 thread as well.

While I don’t care for some of Garron’s stylistic choices I’m fine with him. I hope that when Ewing’s Champions run starts she really makes use of Miles and finds her own voice for him or does something closer to Bendis’s. Zub’s run was a massive improvement from Waid in using Miles, but with the team being expanded all of the core team received less attention. As for his solo I can only hope Ahmed focuses more on the characters that are actually important to the story he’s telling and for the voice he has for Miles to really reel back on the slang.

Incredible Member

So loving this run, happy we are seeing the ultimate universe finally being addressed. But I mean come on Miles is a really smart guy this journal nonsense should never have happened since he knows what’s at stake. Now next issue we will see the consequences of that which is still my only complaint for the run. He should have never have used it. Issue one we knew this would happen. I know it can make for great narration but just use word boxes for inner monologue. Please don’t dumb down miles for plot reasons.

Alright, time to bring my patented brand of negative criticism.
    I don't really care about the conflicts presented in this run.
    spoilers:
    We have the academic probation and the goblin drug stuff.
    The academic probation feels like it should work given how little time Miles is at school, but the thing that breaks it for me is how Ahmed utilizes (or doesn't utilize) Rio and Jefferson. At the very beginning of Bendis's run we see Miles winning the lottery and getting accepted into Brooklyn Visions and Rio is jumping for joy and Jeff is floored by Miles getting in. These two felt like Miles had a chance to be successful when he was accepted so why do they seem so cool with the prospect of him getting kicked out. I understand them trying to be accepting of Miles as a superhero, but he's putting his future in jeopardy by missing so many classes. The fact that they have so little to do with this conflict feels out of character and it would only serve to make the whole situation more impactful by showing how Miles life as a hero affects the people important to him.

The goblin drug, meanwhile, just feels really half baked. We've seen Miles fight 1610 Goblin, Ultimatum, and goons three times, but what was really accomplished to make you care about it. We've seen them drugging people and selling it, but what comes from that. Is the situation getting worse? How so? I certainly can't tell because we haven't been shown how the situation is escalating, we're just told that through a monologue.
    end of spoilers

I said it in the old thread and I'll say it again. This run has been painfully mediocre. It doesn't seem to care about keeping characterization consistent with Bendis's run and the development just feel so half baked.

*EDIT* Also the writing scholarship offer makes no sense given how we never see Miles writing anything outside his journal and his attendance problems.
    Last edited by Modamy; 01-01-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Quoting myself from three days ago in the old thread.
    I wonder if Dutcher does find the diary? Since he respects the teenage Spider-Man, it would change his opinion of Miles Morales - granting him an additional confidante, which he may well need once the teen heroes become Outlawed.
    Well, the diary does get found in today's issue.
    spoilers:
    And I was right! It's Dutcher! If he's read it, he knows Miles is Spider-Man!
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Happy New Year to Miles Morales .

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    So loving this run, happy we are seeing the ultimate universe finally being addressed. But I mean come on Miles is a really smart guy this journal nonsense should never have happened since he knows what’s at stake. Now next issue we will see the consequences of that which is still my only complaint for the run. He should have never have used it. Issue one we knew this would happen. I know it can make for great narration but just use word boxes for inner monologue. Please don’t dumb down miles for plot reasons.
    That's my major problem with this plot, it makes zero sense especially when you remember that at the beginning of this run it showed that Miles scrambles the signal from his phone calls. If he's smart enough to do that he wouldn't write his secrets down in something with the only security option being keeping it on hand, it just makes this plot feel really forced. At this point it feels like Ahmed just wanted to set Miles up as a writer even if it didn't make sense how he got there. Also I hope that scene with Ganke points towards him returning to prominence he absence feels really apparent and trying to slot Judge in there doesn't endear me to him
    Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    Alright, time to bring my patented brand of negative criticism.
    I don't really care about the conflicts presented in this run.
    spoilers:
    We have the academic probation and the goblin drug stuff.
    The academic probation feels like it should work given how little time Miles is at school, but the thing that breaks it for me is how Ahmed utilizes (or doesn't utilize) Rio and Jefferson. At the very beginning of Bendis's run we see Miles winning the lottery and getting accepted into Brooklyn Visions and Rio is jumping for joy and Jeff is floored by Miles getting in. These two felt like Miles had a chance to be successful when he was accepted so why do they seem so cool with the prospect of him getting kicked out. I understand them trying to be accepting of Miles as a superhero, but he's putting his future in jeopardy by missing so many classes. The fact that they have so little to do with this conflict feels out of character and it would only serve to make the whole situation more impactful by showing how Miles life as a hero affects the people important to him.

The goblin drug, meanwhile, just feels really half baked. We've seen Miles fight 1610 Goblin, Ultimatum, and goons three times, but what was really accomplished to make you care about it. We've seen them drugging people and selling it, but what comes from that. Is the situation getting worse? How so? I certainly can't tell because we haven't been shown how the situation is escalating, we're just told that through a monologue.
    end of spoilers

I said it in the old thread and I'll say it again. This run has been painfully mediocre. It doesn't seem to care about keeping characterization consistent with Bendis's run and the development just feel so half baked.
    I feel like the drug plot would be better if we actually got a better idea of why the drug is such a threat, so far all we've seen is that it makes people really aggressive. I feel like the plots are too sporadic, they come and go and don't really progress much. I mean this has been going on since issue 10 and it barely feels like the plots have made it past square one. How many issues is gonna to take for something substantial to happen?

spoilers:
    I'm also not worried about Dutcher finding Miles' journal he's already said how much he respects him so they'll probably just talk it out and things will be fine
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

Miles getting another Funko, this time Venomized from the cartoon

https://www.funko.com/products/movie...-miles-morales

I believe that bumps his count up to 7, 9 if you want to include 2 variants.

Edit: double checked and his Gamer pops(masked and unmasked) have their own numbers........i mean, i still think thats a variant, the pose is still the same, but yes, 9 total.
    Last edited by Nerwrax15; 01-02-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post
    Miles getting another Funko, this time Venomized from the cartoon

https://www.funko.com/products/movie...-miles-morales

I believe that bumps his count up to 7, 9 if you want to include 2 variants.

Edit: double checked and his Gamer pops(masked and unmasked) have their own numbers........i mean, i still think thats a variant, the pose is still the same, but yes, 9 total.
    That show hardly gets any merchandise that I'm surprised they're doing one for Venomized Miles.

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Happy New Year to Miles and Miles fans
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That show hardly gets any merchandise that I'm surprised they're doing one for Venomized Miles.
    Not even using the Spy-D name

Astonishing Member

Happy New Year Peeps!

Count me in as someone who'd like a new artist and writer on the book, I'll be honest I prefer the artist in the first section of the book versus Garron. Other than that, I hope he takes more of a center stage in upcoming events. It looks like he may have a role in Incoming, but I also assumed he would have a major role in Maximum Carnage, when he only appeared in one issue just to get taken over by a symbiote. The into the spiderverse mini series is good though.

Issue sixteen will have art by Ray Anthony-Height and another artist
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/01...of-ravencroft/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Issue sixteen will have art by Ray Anthony-Height and another artist
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/01...of-ravencroft/

Oh I'm definitely down for Ray's art. I wonder if it's a temporary replacement or will it be permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Not even using the Spy-D name
    I was never quite sure how set the writers were on that codename.
    Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Count me in as someone who'd like a new artist and writer on the book, I'll be honest I prefer the artist in the first section of the book versus Garron. Other than that, I hope he takes more of a center stage in upcoming events. It looks like he may have a role in Incoming, but I also assumed he would have a major role in Maximum Carnage, when he only appeared in one issue just to get taken over by a symbiote. The into the spiderverse mini series is good though.
    Miles seems set to have a major role in the Outlawed storyline.