Page 44 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Issue 18 is getting a surprise variant celebrating Marvel's 81st birthday with Miles and the Champions
    Happy Birthday .

Speaking of issue #18, makes it sound like he's about to be 18 himself (or is he already 18? I'm confused).

He should be, I mean otherwise it makes the whole thing with trying to hide the number in the birthday issue a little strange because otherwise I feel like they would have just out and said he was seventeen.

Incredible Member

Based on some statements Miles has said and just the general time jumps we've seen, he's at the very least 18, but he's hitting that limit of "we wanna say he's young, but we can't bring too much attention to his specific age anymore". He has aged relatively fast for a comic hero lol

He should be, I mean otherwise it makes the whole thing with trying to hide the number in the birthday issue a little strange because otherwise I feel like they would have just out and said he was seventeen.
    One of the things about comic series that are supposed to continue on without a definitive ending is that you always have to keep a characters actual age as ambiguous as possible so when reboots and retcons happen you can easily slip them into current times. This is a tried and true method for both Marvel and DC who have had their characters for decades but always kept them within a certain age range for their main books.

It’s also the main reason Marvel will almost never give a definitive age for most of their big characters, Peter Parker being the most notorious. It wouldn’t surprise me if Miles was either 17 or 18 at this point but because Marvel is so careful about when to properly age their characters we probably won’t know a hard number for Miles’ age for some time.

Another reason why you may not want one character to age to fast is because it could cause a ripple effect in the comic’s world and then you might have inadvertently aged other characters you didn’t want to because they operate in the same orbit as the main character you aged.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Carmen Carnero's art is just *chef's kiss.*

Hoping she's only temporarily off of the book and will be returning.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post
    Based on some statements Miles has said and just the general time jumps we've seen, he's at the very least 18, but he's hitting that limit of "we wanna say he's young, but we can't bring too much attention to his specific age anymore". He has aged relatively fast for a comic hero lol
    We know he's the same age as Kamala Khan - and happens to have the same writer as her too! Both Kamala and Miles went to take a tour of Empire State University (with Squirrel Girl, who's a second year student there) in the second Marvel Rising mini-series, so presumably that means they're in their final year at high school, and thus would be 17 or 18 depending on if they had their birthday yet. We know a new school year started in Champions #24 in 2018 (the school shooting issue, which was set on Miles's first week back after the summer holidays). Hasn't Miles had TWO birthdays since then? One in an annual after Bendis finished, and another during Ahmed's run? The annual can be assumed to be before Champions #24, but that does mean Miles has to be 18 now.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-29-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    We know he's the same age as Kamala Khan - and happens to have the same writer as her too! Both Kamala and Miles went to take a tour of Empire State University (with Squirrel Girl, who's a second year student there) in the second Marvel Rising mini-series, so presumably that means they're in their final year at high school, and thus would be 17 or 18 depending on if they had their birthday yet. We know a new school year started in Champions #24 in 2018 (the school shooting issue, which was set on Miles's first week back after the summer holidays). Hasn't Miles had TWO birthdays since then? One in an annual after Bendis finished, and another during Ahmed's run? The annual can be assumed to be before Champions #24, but that does mean Miles has to be 18 now.
    We would have to ask when exactly that birthday in the annual took place. Remember the annual as a whole was to tell a revised origin story for Miles' new 616 memories/origins. If you take that into account, then his fight with Morbius on his birthday could have happened during anytime into his superhero career. Ganke stated in Spider-Man vol.2 issue #20 (where Miles runs away to Japan and encounters Tomoe The TECHNOGOLEM) that even in the 616 universe, Miles has still been Spider-Man since he was 13 years old.

So its very possible the birthday in the annual could have been a year into being Spider-Man, two years, maybe three or 4. But since the story, I believe purposely, does not specify when the Mobius fight happened in the character's continuity, then its still up for grabs on whether that was his 17th or 18 birthday or a even earlier one.

Mind you Miles can still very much be 17 or 18 now, I'm leaning closer to 17 and in his junior year of high school. I say that because if we are counting the college tour in the, Marvel Rising mini then I can recall my own junior year in high school where I was scouting out colleges and making the preparations for post-graduation. Senior year was when you usually follow through and execute all those preparations and planning; getting you acceptance letters and such.

But the writers are probably going to make sure him and Kamala stay in that ambiguous teenage age range for the long haul. Especially since, Saladin Ahmed is currently cementing him as the teenage Spider-Man for the foreseeable future. Or perhaps I'm simply over-analyzing this.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I wonder if, pre-pandemic, that cover would've been meant for Champions #6 (which would've been out in September)? Of course now Champions #1 won't even be out until October, so the cover was reassigned to Miles's book.
    That variant was NOT listed with Final Order Cutoffs as a Miles variant. The one for 18 is him and his sister web slinging.

Nobody is getting that variant until it's for a reprint or a retail incentive.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    We would have to ask when exactly that birthday in the annual took place. Remember the annual as a whole was to tell a revised origin story for Miles' new 616 memories/origins. If you take that into account, then his fight with Morbius on his birthday could have happened during anytime into his superhero career. Ganke stated in Spider-Man vol.2 issue #20 (where Miles runs away to Japan and encounters Tomoe The TECHNOGOLEM) that even in the 616 universe, Miles has still been Spider-Man since he was 13 years old.

So its very possible the birthday in the annual could have been a year into being Spider-Man, two years, maybe three or 4. But since the story, I believe purposely, does not specify when the Mobius fight happened in the character's continuity, then its still up for grabs on whether that was his 17th or 18 birthday or a even earlier one.

Mind you Miles can still very much be 17 or 18 now, I'm leaning closer to 17 and in his junior year of high school. I say that because if we are counting the college tour in the, Marvel Rising mini then I can recall my own junior year in high school where I was scouting out colleges and making the preparations for post-graduation. Senior year was when you usually follow through and execute all those preparations and planning; getting you acceptance letters and such.

But the writers are probably going to make sure him and Kamala stay in that ambiguous teenage age range for the long haul. Especially since, Saladin Ahmed is currently cementing him as the teenage Spider-Man for the foreseeable future. Or perhaps I'm simply over-analyzing this.
    Retroactively, Miles should have been around during the first Civil War and had to choose anti-reg or reg. If he’s been retcon to be in 626 since he was thirteen.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That variant was NOT listed with Final Order Cutoffs as a Miles variant. The one for 18 is him and his sister web slinging.

Nobody is getting that variant until it's for a reprint or a retail incentive.
    It was specifically stated on marvel.com to be a variant for that issue, they must've replaced another cover. That just supports what I said about that cover not originally being meant for that issue (like I said, it was probably meant for Champions, but that doesn't have an issue out in September).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Retroactively, Miles should have been around during the first Civil War and had to choose anti-reg or reg. If he’s been retcon to be in 626 since he was thirteen.
    Technically, Miles as a character didn't exist during the original superhero Civil War. Even in the post-Secret Wars 616, it was implied in the "new" continuity that Peter (first) met Miles in the eight-month time-skip between Secret Wars and All-New, All-Different Marvel, well after the original Civil War. Complicating that, however, is that according to the events in Secret Wars, as survivors of the "old" Multiverse, Miles and Peter should remember or recall that Miles originally came from another universe, although current events in Miles's book indicate that his memories of his original universe have somewhat faded, aside from what he thinks are just weird dreams.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Issue 18 is getting a surprise variant celebrating Marvel's 81st birthday with Miles and the Champions
    Happy Birthday to my favorite other Spider-Man, may he have many more.

BTW sweet pic
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Technically, Miles as a character didn't exist during the original superhero Civil War. Even in the post-Secret Wars 616, it was implied in the "new" continuity that Peter (first) met Miles in the eight-month time-skip between Secret Wars and All-New, All-Different Marvel, well after the original Civil War. Complicating that, however, is that according to the events in Secret Wars, as survivors of the "old" Multiverse, Miles and Peter should remember or recall that Miles originally came from another universe, although current events in Miles's book indicate that his memories of his original universe have somewhat faded, aside from what he thinks are just weird dreams.
    And this exactly why i have no problem ignoring the annual lol.

Miles wakes up 616, he and Peter remember being pals and no one else remembers/knows he originated from another universe, simple lol(i bet they would have brought ultimate Cloak Dagger and Spider-Woman too if they didn't have clear counterparts in 616)