Page 25 of 85 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

This issue was dope. The art, as said, was a sight for sore eyes and the writing was strong. I can easily see the inspiration from ITSV for Miles' characterization, and I'm all for it - same for the dialogue with his family. It's just fantastic writing.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    This issue was dope. The art, as said, was a sight for sore eyes and the writing was strong. I can easily see the inspiration from ITSV for Miles' characterization, and I'm all for it - same for the dialogue with his family. It's just fantastic writing.
    I agree on all counts (my boycott only covers Peter related material). It was a solid issue.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Same here. I also liked Dum Dum Dugan admitting that he shouldn't have written off Miles as a "junior Spider-Man" after Miles took down his CRADLE agents.
    Yeah that scene was a nice touch. Both that and Miles opting not to escalate it any further.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

What do you think of Miles constantly peppering Spanish into his speech? That wasn't usually the case when Bendis was writing him.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What do you think of Miles constantly peppering Spanish into his speech? That wasn't usually the case when Bendis was writing him.
    It feels somewhat more authentic to his background, as with a Puerto Rican mother (from whom he got his last name), he would have likely grown up hearing Spanish in his home and thus picked up some words. Hell, wasn't the complaint by some people that Bendis's original take on Miles didn't necessarily feel true to his background in the first place?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Same here. I also liked Dum Dum Dugan admitting that he shouldn't have written off Miles as a "junior Spider-Man" after Miles took down his CRADLE agents.
    I feel bad for Dugan that he's comes off looking so terrible in this storyline.

Although on-paper how do you underestimate someone who took down Blackheart in under a few minutes?
    Culturally I think Ahmed has been much better with writing Miles then Bendis.

It feels somewhat more authentic to his background, as with a Puerto Rican mother (from whom he got his last name), he would have likely grown up hearing Spanish in his home and thus picked up some words. Hell, wasn't the complaint by some people that Bendis's original take on Miles didn't necessarily feel true to his background in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The one thing I will say that is awkward about it is having roomed with some people who had similar backgrounds to Miles, I never recalled them speaking random words in Spanish. It was either all English or Spanish depending on who they were talking to.

I get why Ahmed, and other writers for that matter do it though. Because then it would be awkward for the reader to have full, likely untranslated, conversations in another language. All that to say I do feel like Ahmed has given Miles a more unique voice. Bendis kind of lived and died on his Seinfeldian dialogue, so a lot of his dialogue for Miles felt really interchangeable with how he wrote Ultimate Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    The one thing I will say that is awkward about it is having roomed with some people who had similar backgrounds to Miles, I never recalled them speaking random words in Spanish. It was either all English or Spanish depending on who they were talking to.

I get why Ahmed, and other writers for that matter do it though. Because then it would be awkward for the reader to have full, likely untranslated, conversations in another language. All that to say I do feel like Ahmed has given Miles a more unique voice. Bendis kind of lived and died on his Seinfeldian dialogue, so a lot of his dialogue for Miles felt really interchangeable with how he wrote Ultimate Peter.
    This reminds me of Jaime Reyes/Blue Beetle. In Young Justice or the Titans animated movies movies they'd pepper his dialogue with the occasional Spanish even though he never talked like that in the comics.

I think Bendis' Miles had a much more low-key or subdued voice compared to USM Peter, but USM Peter was a neurotic mess so probably any character would come off that way compared to him. But he definitely feels much more distinctive now under Ahmed in my opinion.

Yeah that scene was a nice touch. Both that and Miles opting not to escalate it any further.
    Also true, given he had to get to school and on a strategic/tactical level, escalating might well undermine whatever point could be made against CRADLE/Kamala's Law.

I feel bad for Dugan that he's comes off looking so terrible in this storyline.

Although on-paper how do you underestimate someone who took down Blackheart in under a few minutes?

I don't think Dugan comes off that bad, or at least not any worse than the usual "well-intentioned, but misguided authority figure attempting to apprehend the unlicensed vigilante" trope goes. He at least acknowledged he shouldn't have underestimated Miles just because of his age.

This reminds me of Jaime Reyes/Blue Beetle. In Young Justice or the Titans animated movies movies they'd pepper his dialogue with the occasional Spanish even though he never talked like that in the comics.

I think Bendis' Miles had a much more low-key or subdued voice compared to USM Peter, but USM Peter was a neurotic mess so probably any character would come off that way compared to him. But he definitely feels much more distinctive now under Ahmed in my opinion.
    Ultimate Peter didn't have 10+ years in-universe to desensitize himself to the craziness that his life had become, so of course he'd be a mess. Speaking of desensitization, I liked that Miles, as disturbed as he was by his mother's suggestion that maybe CRADLE/Kamala's Law wasn't such a bad idea, was also willing to acknowledge that being accustomed to putting himself at risk so often as Spider-Man wasn't necessarily a good thing.

So looks like the kid Kenneth that Miles helped to cheer up will be coming back. Also sounding like they're non-binary.

Speaking of desensitization, I liked that Miles, as disturbed as he was by his mother's suggestion that maybe CRADLE/Kamala's Law wasn't such a bad idea, was also willing to acknowledge that being accustomed to putting himself at risk so often as Spider-Man wasn't necessarily a good thing.
    Especially the bit about him not feeling as phased as he thinks he should have about Kamala being in the hospital.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 06-10-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Ultimate Member

It would be a waste of whatever work they had done on those series to just completely scrap them in my opinion.
    Warriors is still listed under marvel subscriptions up to issue 3.

Power pack is still on the website

The Marvel subscriptions removed today's issue and left the other two Miles issues.

So looks like the kid Kenneth that Miles helped to cheer up will be coming back. Also sounding like they're non-binary.
    I wonder what Vita Ayala thinks of this.

Because that whole scene reminds me of their Supergirl issue 19 that featured a nonbinary kid.

I don't think Dugan comes off that bad, or at least not any worse than the usual "well-intentioned, but misguided authority figure attempting to apprehend the unlicensed vigilante" trope goes. He at least acknowledged he shouldn't have underestimated Miles just because of his age.
    He beat Blackheart in, like, 10 minutes. Of course you shouldn't underestimate him for his age .
    Ultimate Peter didn't have 10+ years in-universe to desensitize himself to the craziness that his life had become, so of course he'd be a mess. Speaking of desensitization, I liked that Miles, as disturbed as he was by his mother's suggestion that maybe CRADLE/Kamala's Law wasn't such a bad idea, was also willing to acknowledge that being accustomed to putting himself at risk so often as Spider-Man wasn't necessarily a good thing.
    Nuance!
    Especially the bit about him not feeling as phased as he thinks he should have about Kamala being in the hospital.
    That is kind of odd in hindsight...like, he knows people getting seriously hurt is part of the business, but I don't think he's ever had a close friend stuck in a coma.

Uh-huh.

He beat Blackheart in, like, 10 minutes. Of course you shouldn't underestimate him for his age .

Nuance!

That is kind of odd in hindsight...like, he knows people getting seriously hurt is part of the business, but I don't think he's ever had a close friend stuck in a coma.
    Indeed. Something Civil War-type stories have sadly tended to lack.

Incredible Member

Immediately thought "are they setting up Kenneth to design Miles a suit?" when i read it.

On a random note, anyone one else think Aaron should've stayed the Iron Spider at least up until his meeting with Ultimatum? Just seemed a bit odd that he, as the prowler, sees a(albeit darker) prowler mask, and THATS what makes him go "WAIT A SECOND?!?!?" Seems kinda silly lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nerwrax15 View Post
    Immediately thought "are they setting up Kenneth to design Miles a suit?" when i read it.

On a random note, anyone one else think Aaron should've stayed the Iron Spider at least up until his meeting with Ultimatum? Just seemed a bit odd that he, as the prowler, sees a(albeit darker) prowler mask, and THATS what makes him go "WAIT A SECOND?!?!?" Seems kinda silly lol
    And yet ANOTHER possible suit for Miles to have in the next Spider-Man game! Oh this is gonna be good.