Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 317
  1. #76
    Spectacular Member Modamy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I figured with the Secret Wars revamp Lana is probably closer to Miles' age.
    Nobody’s really given Lana enough attention for us to be sure. The only thing that’s brought to attention when she’s focused on is her crush on Miles.

  2. #77
    Amazing Member Cornbread11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Talking about Gwen and 616 Kate Bishop...do people think Miles is into older women ?

    spoilers:
    Definitely if we're focusing on Into the Spider-Verse it's put a lot of emphasis on the relationship, although it seems to be the main (and only) representation of it at the moment.

    Comics-wise, it feels like Miles and Gwen have just kind of passed each other by after "Sitting in a Tree." Their stories and characters just don't feel very relevant to each other anymore. I can't remember the last time they had a significant interaction beyond acknowledging each other in Spidergeddon.

    Miles has developed deeper relationships with other women, romantically or otherwise, and Gwen has interacted more with 616 Peter then she has Miles ever since she got a new creative team (and just generally doesn't seem interested in dating anyone).
    end of spoilers

    I kind of wish more movies would do that slow build instead of having to rush a relationship to end in a kiss by the time the movie is over. And I say this as a huge romantic.

    Are you referring in part to the reaction to Zendaya as Michelle Jones?
    Well yes you can use her as an example back when she was first announced fans where calling her every name under the sun and it only got worse when FFH came around and they decided to make her the official mj of mcu. The public actually really really likes her version of mj and she sure has gotten a decent amount of fans over the course of last summer but there are still some fans that hate her with a passion and want her out of the position of main love interest for peter.

  3. #78
    Astonishing Member Cville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    4,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Other than Champions, and Waidís All-New Avengers, Iíve never read anything with Miles in it. Would you recommend Ahmedís current run?
    It was comic book of the year for me.

  4. #79
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    48,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread11 View Post
    Well yes you can use her as an example back when she was first announced fans where calling her every name under the sun and it only got worse when FFH came around and they decided to make her the official mj of mcu. The public actually really really likes her version of mj and she sure has gotten a decent amount of fans over the course of last summer but there are still some fans that hate her with a passion and want her out of the position of main love interest for peter.
    Well, for me, I like her fine on her own but I feel like they really bungled handling the "MJ" aspect to the point where her name doesn't even really match the character she's supposed to be based on (initials don't count). I've accepted her as an Elseworlds version.

  5. #80
    Astonishing Member Cville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    4,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    Wow, that was weird, Iīve searched 4 o 5 times and didnīt find anything... by the way, best girl for Miles? (it may be canon or fan ship)
    Right now I'm going with Starling

  6. #81
    Amazing Member Cornbread11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, for me, I like her fine on her own but I feel like they really bungled handling the "MJ" aspect to the point where her name doesn't even really match the character she's supposed to be based on (initials don't count). I've accepted her as an Elseworlds version.
    At first I really wasnít feeling this version of the character and agree with them freaking up on the name change. As time went on Iíve become way more accepting as well of zendeyaís interpretation of the character and casual fans and audiences seem to love her. I just think a lot of the hate she is getting from a small section of the fanbase is unwarranted is all.

  7. #82
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I figured with the Secret Wars revamp Lana is probably closer to Miles' age.
    She doesn't go to school, but her mother still wants to control her life... she must be around 18. Bear in mind, she is a Champion nowadays, and only two active members are older than that - Amadeus Cho and Power Man (the Reinforcement Roster did have Silk on it, who is much older being Peter Parker's age, but she's not an active member and probably is no longer even a Reinforcement now that the New Agents of Atlas exist).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  8. #83
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Talking about Gwen and 616 Kate Bishop...do people think Miles is into older women ?

    spoilers:
    Definitely if we're focusing on Into the Spider-Verse it's put a lot of emphasis on the relationship, although it seems to be the main (and only) representation of it at the moment.

    Comics-wise, it feels like Miles and Gwen have just kind of passed each other by after "Sitting in a Tree." Their stories and characters just don't feel very relevant to each other anymore. I can't remember the last time they had a significant interaction beyond acknowledging each other in Spidergeddon.

    Miles has developed deeper relationships with other women, romantically or otherwise, and Gwen has interacted more with 616 Peter then she has Miles ever since she got a new creative team (and just generally doesn't seem interested in dating anyone).
    end of spoilers

    I kind of wish more movies would do that slow build instead of having to rush a relationship to end in a kiss by the time the movie is over. And I say this as a huge romantic.

    Are you referring in part to the reaction to Zendaya as Michelle Jones?

    spoilers:
    Oh no doubt, but the same situation happened with Black Panther and Storm when they were first paired together. The Xmen writers were adamant in not portraying the pairing together, which is key in order for two super heroes who come together to work. Fortunately Coates is addressing that mistake. The reason why Jessica Jones and Luke Cage worked so well, even though they came from two separate areas, is because Bendis essentially had almost full control on both characters. Noticed how Jessica Jones was no wear in sight during Luke Cage Thunderbolt books. In fact, even after marriage, after bendis left, you only occasionally see the pairing together.

    Spider Gwen and Miles both have two different writers, who clearly have no interest in having the two interact. Combine that with the writers overall who probably share in the same asinine belief that spider gwen somehow belongs to Peter and you have the circumstances where we have today. Fortunately, Sony's ITSV doesn't have to worry about that baggage and can push the pairing like they want.
    end of spoilers

  9. #84
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    48,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    spoilers:
    Oh no doubt, but the same situation happened with Black Panther and Storm when they were first paired together. The Xmen writers were adamant in not portraying the pairing together, which is key in order for two super heroes who come together to work. Fortunately Coates is addressing that mistake. The reason why Jessica Jones and Luke Cage worked so well, even though they came from two separate areas, is because Bendis essentially had almost full control on both characters. Noticed how Jessica Jones was no wear in sight during Luke Cage Thunderbolt books. In fact, even after marriage, after bendis left, you only occasionally see the pairing together.

    Spider Gwen and Miles both have two different writers, who clearly have no interest in having the two interact. Combine that with the writers overall who probably share in the same asinine belief that spider gwen somehow belongs to Peter and you have the circumstances where we have today. Fortunately, Sony's ITSV doesn't have to worry about that baggage and can push the pairing like they want.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I don't think any modern writers think Spider-Gwen belongs with Peter at all.

    ITSV is definitely pushing the pairing but it'll be interesting to see if it goes anywhere past that. So far I'm not sure it will.
    end of spoilers

  10. #85
    Incredible Member Grimm911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    spoilers:
    Oh no doubt, but the same situation happened with Black Panther and Storm when they were first paired together. The Xmen writers were adamant in not portraying the pairing together, which is key in order for two super heroes who come together to work. Fortunately Coates is addressing that mistake. The reason why Jessica Jones and Luke Cage worked so well, even though they came from two separate areas, is because Bendis essentially had almost full control on both characters. Noticed how Jessica Jones was no wear in sight during Luke Cage Thunderbolt books. In fact, even after marriage, after bendis left, you only occasionally see the pairing together.

    Spider Gwen and Miles both have two different writers, who clearly have no interest in having the two interact. Combine that with the writers overall who probably share in the same asinine belief that spider gwen somehow belongs to Peter and you have the circumstances where we have today. Fortunately, Sony's ITSV doesn't have to worry about that baggage and can push the pairing like they want.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I believe it's a general unwritten rule for Marvel Comics, and maybe DC as well, that the only real way two major characters would be paired together, whether temporarily or for the long haul, would be for them to both fall under the pen of the same writer. This I believe is also the main reason you guys may be seeing a heightened level of activity from "Kamiles" shippers currently. Activity in which I may have some involvement in.
    end of spoilers

  11. #86
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    I don't think any modern writers think Spider-Gwen belongs with Peter at all.

    ITSV is definitely pushing the pairing but it'll be interesting to see if it goes anywhere past that. So far I'm not sure it will.
    end of spoilers

    spoilers:
    I disagree, I'm not saying writers believe Spider Gwen and Peter should be an end game couple. I'm saying writers believe because she's a gwen, she "belongs" to Peter in terms of that a spider related person can't date her, due to the "original gwen" history with Peter Parker. This is further evident by the increase panel time with Peter Parker once she came to the 616, even though she had an entire mini series with Miles and yet writers are adamant on keeping them apart now that she's in the 616.

    In terms of the relationship going beyond ITSV. I definitely it seeing it growing drastically in the general public, which would have it spread to other media properties like video games, t shirts at Disneyland etc. But will it enter into Comics? That I can see a lot more resistance, just because of the baggage
    end of spoilers

  12. #87
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    48,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    spoilers:
    I disagree, I'm not saying writers believe Spider Gwen and Peter should be an end game couple. I'm saying writers believe because she's a gwen, she "belongs" to Peter in terms of that a spider related person can't date her, due to the "original gwen" history with Peter Parker. This is further evident by the increase panel time with Peter Parker once she came to the 616, even though she had an entire mini series with Miles and yet writers are adamant on keeping them apart now that she's in the 616.

    In terms of the relationship going beyond ITSV. I definitely it seeing it growing drastically in the general public, which would have it spread to other media properties like video games, t shirts at Disneyland etc. But will it enter into Comics? That I can see a lot more resistance, just because of the baggage
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Again, I don't get that sense at all. Definitely McGuire doesn't seem like she's interested in Gwen dating at all, and I think put the kibbosh on Gwen ever being romantically interested in her Peter, and has not shipped her and 616 Peter at all. 616 Peter's increased panel time is more for plot reasons then anything else.

    Again, I think we'll have to see how much the portrayals in ITSV effect has on outside media but for now I think Sony is going to push it more then anything else Disney or Marvel related. Maybe Insomniac might do their own take on it.
    end of spoilers

  13. #88
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    Again, I don't get that sense at all. Definitely McGuire doesn't seem like she's interested in Gwen dating at all, and I think put the kibbosh on Gwen ever being romantically interested in her Peter, and has not shipped her and 616 Peter at all. 616 Peter's increased panel time is more for plot reasons then anything else.

    Again, I think we'll have to see how much the portrayals in ITSV effect has on outside media but for now I think Sony is going to push it more then anything else Disney or Marvel related. Maybe Insomniac might do their own take on it.
    end of spoilers

    spoilers:
    Again, you're misunderstand my statement. I clarified already that I don't expect for them to date. To quote my statement

    I'm not saying writers believe Spider Gwen and Peter should be an end game couple. I'm saying writers believe because she's a gwen, she "belongs" to Peter in terms of that a spider related person can't date her, due to the "original gwen" history with Peter Parker/
    And "Again", you can state your point and I'll state my point, and we can go in circles 50 times like you normally do when we talk instead of just stating, we'll agree to disagree. You believe that it won't go farther than ITSV, and I believe it will go quite far, with the hardest being comics itself. Are either points for certain? Of course not, no one knows the future. But that wasn't the conversation.
    end of spoilers

  14. #89
    Spectacular Member Modamy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Maybe I missed something at some point, but I don't think this discussion needs to be in spoiler tags.

    I think it's a pretty huge leap to say that all the writers handling the character believe Gwen belongs with Peter. I think it just that the dynamic between the two is generally more interesting than anything established between her and Miles. To Gwen 616 Peter is like the ghost of her best friend come back to haunt her and for Peter 65 Gwen is the ghost of his first true love to haunt him. The relationship, platonically speaking, has more potential than Miles, who's just some dude that Gwen knows that also has spider powers. Sitting in a tree didn't do much other than show Miles has an interest in her that wasn't reciprocated. Otherwise the bulk of that stories about Miles's relationship with his dad. It's no small wonder that the writers just don't have much interest in doing anything else with them.

  15. #90
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    Maybe I missed something at some point, but I don't think this discussion needs to be in spoiler tags.

    I think it's a pretty huge leap to say that all the writers handling the character believe Gwen belongs with Peter. I think it just that the dynamic between the two is generally more interesting than anything established between her and Miles. To Gwen 616 Peter is like the ghost of her best friend come back to haunt her and for Peter 65 Gwen is the ghost of his first true love to haunt him. The relationship, platonically speaking, has more potential than Miles, who's just some dude that Gwen knows that also has spider powers. Sitting in a tree didn't do much other than show Miles has an interest in her that wasn't reciprocated. Otherwise the bulk of that stories about Miles's relationship with his dad. It's no small wonder that the writers just don't have much interest in doing anything else with them.
    Pretty sure they got over their dead loved one hangups in the first Spider-Verse, as far as seeing the other as a "what could have been" is concerned anyways. Peter is haunted by enough dead loved ones as is, he really doesn't need a living person doing that as well. Peter currently being her plug in to 616 schooling has been the most interesting their relationship has been since they met, and that has nothing to do with them being each other's dead loved ones.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •