Page 42 of 112 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Betsy was reckless at times during the 90's but towards the end she calmed down a fair amount about all of that, it's like with the Phoenix, writers seem to want to return Betsy to being the reckless one over and over again...and I don't see them separating them into two bodies as having fixed things...as they botched the change and have done little to nothing about it since, showing that they had not thought anything about it past the change, they could have just as easily pulled Kwannon out of Betsy and built a body for her, as the one that Kwannon is in now isn't her own body anyway, now she's the one in Betsy's body...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    power signatures are a flimsy thing but when its that iconic it always returns, like yana's souldsword and that one time her portals were skeletons.
    betsy also lost her butterfly for the majority of her ninja days btw...
    No she didnt. The butterfly did not disappear when she became a ninja. It was there throughout the 90s and only went away when she lost her TP in Claremont's run which made sense since the butterfly was her signature for TP

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No she didnt. The butterfly did not disappear when she became a ninja. It was there throughout the 90s and only went away when she lost her TP in Claremont's run which made sense since the butterfly was her signature for TP
    It didn’t disappear but it was less common in favor of the psi-knife visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    That's the short story Mike Carey wrote in which her loss of the butterfly effect paralleled her lack of 'finesse' with her telekinesis. The butterfly respresents finesse, whereas the blade raw power.
    Sorry to bother, do you recall the issue that can be found in? It would be good to include in a Psylocke completist guide omnibus type list...
    Last edited by Thirteen; 04-10-2020 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

Sorry to bother, do you recall the issue that can be found in? It would be good to include in a Psylocke completist guide omnibus type list...

Breaking Into Comics the Marvel Way

I want to say it’s pre-HoM issues, when Rachel and Betsy were in the white hot room between reality.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I want to say it’s pre-HoM issues, when Rachel and Betsy were in the white hot room between reality.
    The issue is posted above. It was written years after HoM in a mini-series

Ultimate Member

I know during the time when Revanche first showed up and Betsy came to terms with the whole thing the butterfly was around then, in more ways than one if memory serves...

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    Is it bad I want Betsy and Kwannon to merge into one being? I'm not feeling either one of them atm and I think it would be better. Neither is dominant, they are just 2 in one body making a more powerful being...
    I get that Marvel want best of both women but for me it's not working well.

I still stand that Kwannon is not necessary, given the current status quo. Giving her all Betsy's aesthetics was just sloppy. It's just like stripping what makes Betsy-Betsy all these years.
    Even Betsy's role as one of Cyclops' "soldier" for keeping eye on the bad dudes (was Magneto - Utopia) is now been given to Kwannon (in Hellion).
    I get why Cyclops trusted Betsy. But trusting Kwannon? That's far reaching IMO.

The Captain Britain and Excalibur brand has never been as great as the X-Men brand, not in the comics, TV, movies, nor video game. I'm pretty pessimistic that they'll elevate Betsy more as Captain Britain. Not unless, they have much bigger plans for Cap Britain and Excalibur in near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

Breaking Into Comics the Marvel Way
    Damn this makes me wish Mike Carey was writing a mini or something with Betsy and Kwannon for the forseeable future.

Le sigh.

What he did for Rogue and Xavier but for Betsy and Kwannon.

Just give us 6 issues Marvel.
    Last edited by CGAR; 04-10-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    The last few moments before the Siege Perilous along with the Psi War story are Psylocke in a nutshell for me. I can't decide which one I like best.
    Siege Perilous moments is a really great one! I especially love her moment with Storm right after she tucks SK away in her mind.
    The Uncanny annual where she turns into Jocasta jr. and The Apocalypse Solution when she's protecting Genesis from the rest of X-Force are the two I always have the hardest time choosing between. The way she just stands there, raises her sword and is all "no one will touch a hair on this childs head" was pretty iconic. Both really sum up Betsy's overall character for me.

Okay, so I'm not an artist whatsoever. But I felt like trying to redesign Betsy as Monarch. Give her a color no one else is really using. Integrate the Monarch as a butterfly but also as a queen aspect. Bring back her curly, light purple hair. The shield and sword is obviously psionic, but again-- I don't know how to draw. Lol.

I also think it would be really cool to revisit Betsy being blind, which would make her use of telepathy unique as that would be how she sees.
    Last edited by gifted; 04-11-2020 at 12:05 AM.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

so much fun wordplay going with "Monarch", I dig it

Spectacular Member sublimeclown's Avatar

I understand why Betsy needs to be back in her white body, but I don't get why she can't still be a martial artist (I'll refrain from using the term "ninja" as that could be conceived as cultural appropriation). The Captain Britain mantle doesn't fit her character IMO. She's a scrappy brawler type. That's what I always liked about her. I'm not into the sword and shield and armor.

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    Okay, so I'm not an artist whatsoever. But I felt like trying to redesign Betsy as Monarch. Give her a color no one else is really using. Integrate the Monarch as a butterfly but also as a queen aspect. Bring back her curly, light purple hair. The shield and sword is obviously psionic, but again-- I don't know how to draw. Lol.

I also think it would be really cool to revisit Betsy being blind, which would make her use of telepathy unique as that would be how she sees.
    I love this idea. So fresh!

I think the sword & board iconography is to better differentiate her from her martial artist/katana-wielding past. It’s been somewhat successful in at least THAT regard.

I do feel similarly to you that Betsy isn’t a Prot Paladin type. I can see the Captain Britain moniker working for her if she took the Sword of Might, and became more of a longsword executioner-type... but that wouldn’t be enough of a character pivot. It’s been clumsy and a bit hollow, and I’m concerned for what comes next.