Page 30 of 112 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

I hadn’t considered that, but honestly I don’t have an opinion one way or the other. It wouldn’t look any goofier on a white lady than an Asian one.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Why is the 90s thongkini viewed as only the Asian body uniform? Elektra who is Greek has a similar costume. So I’m wondering why people think that Betsy would be unable to where the blue ninja costume. What are your thoughts and opinions on this.
    Because its teh costume that the Asian body wore for a large part of her run. Its as simple as that. That costume is is most associated with Jim Lee and the Japanese imagery that the character took on

The costume itself is dated and should be retired for no one to wear except obvious homages. She stopped wearing it in what, 2013? It should have stayed buried there
    Last edited by Havok83; 03-30-2020 at 12:05 PM.

We all have our tastes but we should all be wise enough to recognize the “thongkini” design is the costume Psylocke wore in her most significant and prominent appearances. It’s as much a trademark of the character as “purple hair”, “butterfly spell effects”, and “psychic knife”.

Since editorial decided Kwannon would be Psylocke moving forward, it made sense they demanded she be in the costume to solidify her ownership of the brand and identity.

But it WOULD be interesting and ironic for Betsy to take the thongkini into her new identities. I think it would be awkward, like seeing Storm or Rogue wearing it, but only because it’s not the body we’re used to. I’m more interested in what’s going on with Betsy’s self-image and what she’d be saying by wearing the costume, but that level of character growth isn’t something we’re likely to see in Excalibur.

Next question: Has the Captain Britain mantle elevated Betsy Braddock? What did she lose when she lost the Psylocke codename? Your opinions so far on this change. Is the writer doing her justice?

Once again please don’t turn this into a Betsy vs Kwannon thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    We all have our tastes but we should all be wise enough to recognize the “thongkini” design is the costume Psylocke wore in her most significant and prominent appearances. It’s as much a trademark of the character as “purple hair”, “butterfly spell effects”, and “psychic knife”.

Since editorial decided Kwannon would be Psylocke moving forward, it made sense they demanded she be in the costume to solidify her ownership of the brand and identity.

But it WOULD be interesting and ironic for Betsy to take the thongkini into her new identities. I think it would be awkward, like seeing Storm or Rogue wearing it, but only because it’s not the body we’re used to. I’m more interested in what’s going on with Betsy’s self-image and what she’d be saying by wearing the costume, but that level of character growth isn’t something we’re likely to see in Excalibur.
    I still not sure if taking Besty and making her the new Captain Britain was a good idea. In the long run I think Kwannon will win the popularity contest by still looking like the classic ninja version and calling herself Psylocke. (I think she still going by that name)
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Next question: Has the Captain Britain mantle elevated Betsy Braddock?
    I can't say. This volume of Excalibur isn't for me, and IMO the Captain Britain role is what it is —only through its responsibilities to the Corps, the multiverse, and the resulting weird events that occur in the British Isles. I'm on record in this thread and others that I feel Betsy's Excalibur should've been a slower build, with Betsy bouncing around the Marvel Universe... building the BETSY BRADDOCK identity to something with more connections throughout the Marvel Universe, and confront her flexible morality.

What did she lose when she lost the Psylocke codename?
    This might be a bit of an advanced notion, but I want to say she lost the "comfort" of an identity with a simplified, violent ethic. "Psylocke" was a mutant vigilante, with a specific worldview and responsibilities. As a woman who grew up with extraordinary privilege, she may feel "Betsy Braddock" is a more complicated identity, with familial, financial, social, cultural, and national obligations. "Psylocke" could be a soldier of Xavier's Dream, "Betsy Braddock" is an heiress, shareholder in Braddock Industrial, supermodel, spy, pilot, and Hellfire Club member.

Your opinions so far on this change. Is the writer doing her justice?
    Ehhh... not sure anyone could. Psylocke is a pretty complicated character who's been played as a badass without much depth. What I'd want is for a writer with more interest, more knowledge, and more creativity to dig in and find an entire undeveloped network of subway track of character. Which is why I'd retcon a gay relationship with Shevaun Haldane, suggest Gatecrasher is a parallel Earth version of Betsy Braddock, and enlist Neal Shaara to Excalibur. Character foils on character foils on character foils.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I still not sure if taking Besty and making her the new Captain Britain was a good idea. In the long run I think Kwannon will win the popularity contest by still looking like the classic ninja version and calling herself Psylocke. (I think she still going by that name)
    I feel the same. Which is why they needed to go big, wide, and weird with BETSY, and then move her into the CB role.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 03-30-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I can't say. This volume of Excalibur isn't for me, and IMO the Captain Britain role is what it is —only through its responsibilities to the Corps, the multiverse, and the resulting weird events that occur in the British Isles. I'm on record in this thread and others that I feel Betsy's Excalibur should've been a slower build, with Betsy bouncing around the Marvel Universe... building the BETSY BRADDOCK identity to something with more connections throughout the Marvel Universe, and confront her flexible morality.

This might be a bit of an advanced notion, but I want to say she lost the "comfort" of an identity with a simplified, violent ethic. "Psylocke" was a mutant vigilante, with a specific worldview and responsibilities. As a woman who grew up with extraordinary privilege, she may feel "Betsy Braddock" is a more complicated identity, with familial, financial, social, cultural, and national obligations. "Psylocke" could be a soldier of Xavier's Dream, "Betsy Braddock" is an heiress, shareholder in Braddock Industrial, supermodel, spy, pilot, and Hellfire Club member.

Ehhh... not sure anyone could. Psylocke is a pretty complicated character who's been played as a badass without much depth. What I'd want is for a writer with more interest, more knowledge, and more creativity to dig in and find an entire undeveloped network of subway track of character. Which is why I'd retcon a gay relationship with Shevaun Haldane, suggest Gatecrasher is a parallel Earth version of Betsy Braddock, and enlist Neal Shaara to Excalibur. Character foils on character foils on character foils.

I feel the same. Which is why they needed to go big, wide, and weird with BETSY, and then move her into the CB role.
    With Hellions starting off with a "Big Bang", I could see Psylocke/Kwannon's popularity gaining some traction. As much as I love Besty, Excalibur has started to bore me.

Next question: Has the Captain Britain mantle elevated Betsy Braddock? What did she lose when she lost the Psylocke codename? Your opinions so far on this change. Is the writer doing her justice?

Once again please don’t turn this into a Betsy vs Kwannon thing.
    Its hard to answer your question without bringing up Kwannon bc most of what she lost with that change went to Kwannon and thats all I will say on that

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its hard to answer your question without bringing up Kwannon bc most of what she lost with that change went to Kwannon and thats all I will say on that
    Agreed, Besty/Captain Britain might as well be a new character.

Absolutely beautiful.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ultimate Member

I think so far Kwannon has won the aftermath of the new body, Betsy's new body so far has if anything demoted her and got her shunted off to a satellite book that so far has had little to nothing to do with the rest of the X-books, which again leads me to state that I don't believe that Marvel had any idea what to do with Betsy past giving her the new body, and it's showing...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I think so far Kwannon has won the aftermath of the new body, Betsy's new body so far has if anything demoted her and got her shunted off to a satellite book that so far has had little to nothing to do with the rest of the X-books, which again leads me to state that I don't believe that Marvel had any idea what to do with Betsy past giving her the new body, and it's showing...
    I dont like the aftermath of the change but this makes sense bc she has a clear purpose in Dawn of X. Its not one that people like she actually has focus and everything thats happening in this satelite book is leading into the Swords of X crossover which Excalibur plays a larger role than any of the other non-Hickman titles. Kwannon has also been shunted off to satelite books so she's in the same boat there
    Last edited by Havok83; 03-30-2020 at 05:51 PM.

I don't think Betsy lost anything besides a name. You might not like how she's being written now. But that's not a result of the name switch.

Psylocke wasn't an especially meaningful name anyways.