Page 37 of 112 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I love Otherworld, and it’s boundless potential.
    I could be wrong, but I recall in Excalibur 50 that Otherworld was rebuilt by Merlyn following the Feron-Phoenix-Tower spell that created the Energy Matrix... Otherworld was where they traveled and found the original tower. Didn’t Merlyn day that Earth was long-dead? That its population had all perished or otherwise expired? That’s my first question, I guess. Whether Otherworld started as an empty ruins Earth.

Nope checked 50. The OG tower was on 616, built by “ancient aliens” or something. Otherworld was “established” by Merlyn, but not adequately described.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 04-04-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Otherworld has always been boring to me

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Otherworld has always been boring to me
    Do you have a specific reason or do the general doctor who meets king Arthur’s court motifs turn you off?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Do you have a specific reason or do the general doctor who meets king Arthur’s court motifs turn you off?
    Its never appealed to me. I had to nope out of Uncanny X-Force when that Otherworld arc followed the fantastic Dark Angel Saga. That might be part of why I had to drop Excalibur too.

Ah so you’re not working with the charm of the old Davis & Claremont stuff. That stuff might not be your taste either, but it describes the split I mentioned earlier. Otherworld is pretty delicate context. In the hands of subsequent writers, it grows inedible.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Ah so you’re not working with the charm of the old Davis & Claremont stuff. That stuff might not be your taste either, but it describes the split I mentioned earlier. Otherworld is pretty delicate context. In the hands of subsequent writers, it grows inedible.
    To be fair I didnt read the original Excalibur when they were writing it bc that never appealed to me. It was too far removed from the X-world and didnt have characters I cared enough to follow. I've tried but it wasnt for me

Otherworld aspect is what makes Betsy different from others and thats why I like it a lot. There's a lot about her father that hasnt been explored.

I'd rather her be an otherworld warrior than Captain Britain.

Also I don't think we've ever had a writer thats fully explored or written about Otherworld.

I wasnt around during the Alan Davis run.

There are a lot of things that can be done.

BUT one thing I don't want attached to Betsy is the King Arthur.

That's its own separate mythology IMO

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

That piece is brilliant. Seeing Betsy with that grouping of x-men is pretty cool. It’s very a-list.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    That piece is brilliant. Seeing Betsy with that grouping of x-men is pretty cool. It’s very a-list.
    Right? I’ve waited since her return to her original body to have Mark Brooks paint her. Truly beautiful. Definitely my phone wallpapers.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    To be fair I didnt read the original Excalibur when they were writing it bc that never appealed to me. It was too far removed from the X-world and didnt have characters I cared enough to follow. I've tried but it wasnt for me
    That's how I feel about Xmen and space stories( Brood, Starjammers etc.) Which is why I am not all that jazzed about Empyre. I have always had a soft spot for Otherworld though. But it doesn't work with the current cast of characters in Excalibur.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    That's how I feel about Xmen and space stories( Brood, Starjammers etc.) Which is why I am not all that jazzed about Empyre. I have always had a soft spot for Otherworld though. But it doesn't work with the current cast of characters in Excalibur.
    This is why I’m hoping for a line wide cast shakeup post XoS.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Right? I’ve waited since her return to her original body to have Mark Brooks paint her. Truly beautiful. Definitely my phone wallpapers.
    Knight Betsy could really be something great but the imagery hasn't lived up to the hype yet. More Brooks and Silva variants please.

I love Otherworld but it's always felt very vague to me which is part of the reason I'm always so excited when it pops back up. I feel like it should be as big and grand as Asgard or one of the alien empires of Marvel. With the additions of Krakoa/Arrako to its lore I'm hopeful that it gets expanded upon.

Spectacular Member sublimeclown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    They should explore the idea of her thinking of Kwannon's body as her own a bit more, but I don't think focusing on the asian part is a good idea.
    As hashed and rehashed as the story of Betsy's "two bodies" is, we really never got to see what it meant to her to be living as a different race. There's so much story potential there. What does it feel like to be a rich, white woman and suddenly become a minority? We've seen her take on Asian customs, fighting styles, and motifs - did she feel some connection to Kwannon's heritage? Did she feel an obligation to learn about Asian culture? Did she feel like an impostor? And what does it feel like to suddenly be white again?

So I just started watching Alex Garland's new FX series, Devs, and came across this actress, Sonoya Mizuno. She was born in Tokyo to a Japanese father and an English-Argentinean mother. She was raised in England and speaks with an English accent.

A few years ago, I would have thought this was perfect Psylocke casting. I would have just simplified her origin and made her English-Japanese, like this actress is. But now that Psylocke has transitioned back to her original Caucasian body in the comics, would this be problematic in the movies?

Sonoya-Mizuno-Contact-Information.jpg