Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 324
  1. #76
    Mighty Member CGAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,990

    Default

    Wait when did any writer after the 90s make stories with Betsy and the Hand?

    The only thing she kept from that Claremont story was the thongkini.

    No one ever went back and explored that side of her when she was fauxAsian.

    They never delved into that part of her. They didn't even delve into the Otherworld side of her.

    Writers and X-editorial have failed this character.

    You guys/gals can correct me if im wrong. But she doesnt really have a legacy with the Hand.

    She didnt even get to interact with Elektra. Or other characters that were involved with the Hand.

  2. #77
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Writers and X-editorial have failed this character.
    Seconded.

    They even invented new Asian psuedo-organizations and old otherdimensional entities for her to tangle with rather than deal with her Claremont/UK origins.

  3. #78
    Incredible Member PsionicHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Ok with that thought. Why wouldnt they just make an Asian telepath when they have Kwannon?

    Betsy is white. If you want Asian representation. They should bring in a character who was actually created to be Asian.
    I think you mean "Why would they make an Asian telepath, when they have Kwannon"

    To answer that question - in a lot of people's minds - why go through the effort of trying to bring forth a character whose identity to the main public is essentially all they know of Betsy Braddock.

    We see them race-bending/casting other characters - who better to cast as a different race, then a character who was living in the body of an Asian woman?

    As for your comment "Betsy is white. If you want Asian representation. They should bring in a character who was actually created to be Asian."

    Ask yourself, do we really need more caucasian representation?

    To hell with it - they COULD bring in Kwannon in the same scenario I brought up. An orphan's the Braddocks adopt, whose name is Kwannon. However, to fit in growing up, she started going by the name Betsy.

    Ta-da an amalgamation of both characters to STREAMLINE them into the MCU.
    Psylocke Moonstar Hellion Rictor Dust

  4. #79
    Fantastic Member davetvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    To me this isn't exactly streamlining. The way the MCU has amalgamated some other characters. I think the more 'streamline' thing to do would be to have her as an orphan they adopted on a trip to China. It can then be discovered that her and Brian were born at the exact same time and are 'connected' to each other in some way because of that. She was raised as Jamie and Brian's sister with Brian being very protective of her. She can be both a mutant and Brian can have his connection to the Otherworld.

    This creates a way for them to cast Betsy as Asian but retain all the connections to her family but get rid of the messy retconned story lines from the 90s.

    To be honest...do we need ANOTHER white female telepath on the big screen.
    I feel like Betsy will end up being a non-entity in the MCU X-Verse because of Emma and Jean if they do go with the British version (maybe just as a supporting character in a Captain Britain trilogy?), but I don't see them going with an Asian or Eurasian version of her since the comics got rid of that. Unless the MCU Braddocks are Eurasian, which would be an interesting take. Henry Golding for Brian!

  5. #80
    Incredible Member PsionicHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I feel like Betsy will end up being a non-entity in the MCU X-Verse because of Emma and Jean if they do go with the British version (maybe just as a supporting character in a Captain Britain trilogy?), but I don't see them going with an Asian or Eurasian version of her since the comics got rid of that. Unless the MCU Braddocks are Eurasian, which would be an interesting take. Henry Golding for Brian!
    I would be down for Henry Golding for Brian tbh but I know that would upset the masses.
    Psylocke Moonstar Hellion Rictor Dust

  6. #81
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    I think you mean "Why would they make an Asian telepath, when they have Kwannon"

    To answer that question - in a lot of people's minds - why go through the effort of trying to bring forth a character whose identity to the main public is essentially all they know of Betsy Braddock.

    We see them race-bending/casting other characters - who better to cast as a different race, then a character who was living in the body of an Asian woman?

    As for your comment "Betsy is white. If you want Asian representation. They should bring in a character who was actually created to be Asian."

    Ask yourself, do we really need more caucasian representation?

    To hell with it - they COULD bring in Kwannon in the same scenario I brought up. An orphan's the Braddocks adopt, whose name is Kwannon. However, to fit in growing up, she started going by the name Betsy.

    Ta-da an amalgamation of both characters to STREAMLINE them into the MCU.
    The reality is “the public” has no idea who Betsy Braddock is. They may know Psylocke, and then they only know she’s the Asian ninja lady in the swimsuit. They can do that with Kwannon without ever mentioning Betsy. I’d prefer the two be connected somehow, but Betsy is in no way necessary for them to bring to life the Psylocke “the public” knows. Betsy has more potential for impact as Captain Britain, and I hope Feige latches onto that.

  7. #82
    Fantastic Member davetvs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    I would be down for Henry Golding for Brian tbh but I know that would upset the masses.
    The same masses who think turning Roberto and Cecilia white for New Mutants isn't a big deal. They'll be fine.

  8. #83
    Mighty Member CGAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,990

    Default

    Are we forgetting that they did two versions of Psylocke already in movies.

    And they were NOT up to par.
    Last edited by CGAR; 01-07-2020 at 08:34 AM.

  9. #84
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    And they were NOT up to par.
    Neither were the Storms.

  10. #85
    Mighty Member CGAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Neither were the Storms.
    The only castings I think they got right are Magik and Wolfsbane. And Blink. Ooh Bishop was good too.

  11. #86
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    The only castings I think they got right are Magik and Wolfsbane. And Blink. Ooh Bishop was good too.
    You don't think Hugh Jackman transformed into Wolverine and Wolverine into Hugh Jackman?

    Both Blinks were good: DOFP and Gifted. I liked they decided to go Asian with her.

    Omar Sy is good but I want some bigger Idris energy if we go bak down that route.

    Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    I would be down for Henry Golding for Brian tbh but I know that would upset the masses.
    I was into this idea when you first suggested it. Unconventional, but I'm here for it.

  12. #87
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Neither were the Storms.
    Goddess knows that’s the truth. The female characters were mostly miscast and certainly weren’t given the same expectation of excellence required of the actors playing X, Mags, and Logan.

  13. #88
    Incredible Member PsionicHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cgar
    The only castings I think they got right are Magik and Wolfsbane. And Blink. Ooh Bishop was good too.
    Wait...how can you say that when you haven't seen the performances from Anya and Maise? Bishop? He barely had more lines or things to do than Mei Melcon in X3....are you going off physical appearance only?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Neither were the Storms.
    Glad you said it because I almost did, but opted not to.


    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

    I was into this idea when you first suggested it. Unconventional, but I'm here for it.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Goddess knows that’s the truth. The female characters were mostly miscast and certainly weren’t given the same expectation of excellence required of the actors playing X, Mags, and Logan.
    Honestly, I fell in love with Famke's Jean in X1 and X2, but overall yeah females in this franchise have been miscast.

    However, I will go to bat for Olivia Munn - she did well with what she was given and aesthetically was great, I also loved that she understood Psylocke's taste for getting into the fray instead of battling from afar.
    Psylocke Moonstar Hellion Rictor Dust

  14. #89
    Fantastic Member Selene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Wait when did any writer after the 90s make stories with Betsy and the Hand?

    The only thing she kept from that Claremont story was the thongkini.

    No one ever went back and explored that side of her when she was fauxAsian.

    They never delved into that part of her. They didn't even delve into the Otherworld side of her.

    Writers and X-editorial have failed this character.

    You guys/gals can correct me if im wrong. But she doesnt really have a legacy with the Hand.

    She didnt even get to interact with Elektra. Or other characters that were involved with the Hand.
    Because we had so many poignant stories exploring her Otherworld heritage after she showed up in the New Mutants Annual, so that last one should be a priority over everything else?

    The Acts of Vengeance had a profound effect in her evolution as a character; without it she wouldn't have been coupled with Warren, spent a good amount of time in X-Force, etc. If anything, we wouldn't have gotten a good understanding of the Betsy Braddock before her "ninjafication" (a prudish aristocrat with a dark side she kept well hidden).

    Having her show up in a Captain Britain movie, with zero acknowledgement of her development as an X-Man, in light of that nonchalant Excalibur ongoing, doesn't even begin to guarantee IMO some longer screen time by means of a smaller cast of characters.

  15. #90

    Default

    I'm anxious to see if the MCU will do the X-Men justice. I'm hoping proper representations, accurate costumes and focus on the females of the team, since they are without a doubt the most compelling superheroines in comics.


    Guys, let's vote for Psylocke in the Fwoosh's top ten most wanted Marvel Legends...she has 27 votes so far...which is not bad but Firestar and Storm are over 60 already and I think this year she'll need at least 40 votes to make it into to the list.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •