Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 61
  1. #31
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    47,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The classic Flash outfit was so perfect upon initial concept that it's really difficult to do anything with it that improves upon the original design.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    And some additions to it just seem unnecessary (like all the lines they've added to the costume since the New 52).

  2. #32
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Love the lines. Wouldn't mind if Spidermans webs had actual webs shooting out.

  3. #33
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    20,232

    Default

    Flash #750 variants. Jay, Barry and Wally are all featured as they're themed by decade.
    https://www.newsarama.com/48714-the-...nt-covers.html
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member liwanag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,836

    Default


  5. #35
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    47,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Barry's probably the Super Hero Boy who comes off the best on this show.

  6. #36
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your mum's place
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The classic Flash outfit was so perfect upon initial concept that it's really difficult to do anything with it that improves upon the original design.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Carmine Infantino was DECADES ahead of his time!!
    The suit he designed for Barry became essentially what every athlete would wear years later.
    It's also why re-designs fail to stick. You can't improve on perfection!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

  7. #37
    Astonishing Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Carmine Infantino was DECADES ahead of his time!!
    The suit he designed for Barry became essentially what every athlete would wear years later.
    It's also why re-designs fail to stick. You can't improve on perfection!
    Agreed! Well said.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), The Atom (Ray Palmer) , Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, & Ant-Man (Scott Lang).

    Current Pulls: Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Venom, Immortal Hulk, Guardians of The Galaxy, Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Star Wars, Flash Forward,Shazam, & TMNT!

  8. #38
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Carmine Infantino was DECADES ahead of his time!!
    The suit he designed for Barry became essentially what every athlete would wear years later.
    It's also why re-designs fail to stick. You can't improve on perfection!
    It also established the basic template for post-1956 superhero costumes, which previously been based primarily on the Superman and Batman cape and trunks model. While we would see other new characters with capes and trunks, after 1956, we'd see just even more of the Flash-style costumes which was a one-piece jumpsuit that included a cowl.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  9. #39
    Wily Veteran cc008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    12,903

    Default

    For the last few days, I've been binging The Flash on Netflix and man.. I've become SUPER interested in Barry Allen. Want to start reading his stories.. I picked up Flashpoint but want to go a little further back. Could you guys recommend volumes or paperbacks worth looking into? Would love to get some good background and then catch up through Rebirth
    CaptainAmericaBatman
    DaredevilTheFlash
    NightwingWinterSoldierRedHood

  10. #40
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    For the last few days, I've been binging The Flash on Netflix and man.. I've become SUPER interested in Barry Allen. Want to start reading his stories.. I picked up Flashpoint but want to go a little further back. Could you guys recommend volumes or paperbacks worth looking into? Would love to get some good background and then catch up through Rebirth
    LIFE STORY OF THE FLASH (1998) does a good, succinct job of telling the story of the Silver/Bronze Age Flash, though it's Post-COIE, so there will be some discrepancies from the actual, original Pre-COIE history.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  11. #41
    Spectacular Member Modamy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Issue 87
    spoilers:
    Continuing off from the last issue Barry is on his way to Arkham, but he's being transported with Captain Cold. Snart tells Barry to stay away from his sister and they reflect upon their differences and similarities. Meanwhile Iris contact Piper to help Barry, Wallace, and Avery after it's discovered they are out of frequency with their plane of existence. He manages to give them a temporary fix, but while being treated Cold and Glider break out and escape. Wallace and Avery go back to their respective series and future Barry shows up to set up Flash Age.
    end of spoilers

    While the arc overall is pretty mediocre this issue just feels like a really rushed conclusion to the it.

    Going to Arkham was totally pointless. Honestly, I feel like there was a scrapped arc with Barry in the asylum and Williamson just wanted to keep the trip there in the issue so Barry and Len could talk privately.

    The fix for the speedsters problems with their powers just came out of nowhere and feels like it's just left to serve as a get-out-of-jail-free card for some troubles down the road.

    The biggest issue overall for me is how big a waste of space Wallace and Avery were. I was really excited for them to be back going into the arc, but they're just so superfluous. They receive pretty much the same characterization as the young, brash, and inexperienced hero and they don't add anything of value. Barry never has any meaningful interactions with them. He and Wallace don't have a heart to heart and make up and Barry and Avery still feel like strangers. I don't doubt that these events won't even be referenced in Teen Titans because there's nothing worth bringing up and Wallace powers will magically be fine until he shows back up in the Flash books again.

  12. #42
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your mum's place
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    I wasn't a fan of the Arkham bit, it didn't feel right, But it was nice to see Hartley again!
    I also liked the shades of Crisis with the last couple of pages.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

  13. #43
    Astonishing Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    For the last few days, I've been binging The Flash on Netflix and man.. I've become SUPER interested in Barry Allen. Want to start reading his stories.. I picked up Flashpoint but want to go a little further back. Could you guys recommend volumes or paperbacks worth looking into? Would love to get some good background and then catch up through Rebirth
    Check out the silver age paperback collections, they are really fun!

    As for modern stuff, I’m not much of a fan. With that being said a lot of the Williamson Rebirth run has been good. My favorite modern Barry story is probably Blackest Night by Geoff Johns. It’s really a green lantern book but Barry plays a fairly significant role.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), The Atom (Ray Palmer) , Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, & Ant-Man (Scott Lang).

    Current Pulls: Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Venom, Immortal Hulk, Guardians of The Galaxy, Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Star Wars, Flash Forward,Shazam, & TMNT!

  14. #44
    Spectacular Member Modamy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    For the last few days, I've been binging The Flash on Netflix and man.. I've become SUPER interested in Barry Allen. Want to start reading his stories.. I picked up Flashpoint but want to go a little further back. Could you guys recommend volumes or paperbacks worth looking into? Would love to get some good background and then catch up through Rebirth
    I would also recommend “The Brave and The Bold” by Mark Waid. It’s a mini series starring Barry Allen and Hal Jordan that goes over their friendship up until Barry’s death in COIE.

  15. #45
    Wily Veteran cc008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    12,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    LIFE STORY OF THE FLASH (1998) does a good, succinct job of telling the story of the Silver/Bronze Age Flash, though it's Post-COIE, so there will be some discrepancies from the actual, original Pre-COIE history.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Check out the silver age paperback collections, they are really fun!

    As for modern stuff, I’m not much of a fan. With that being said a lot of the Williamson Rebirth run has been good. My favorite modern Barry story is probably Blackest Night by Geoff Johns. It’s really a green lantern book but Barry plays a fairly significant role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    I would also recommend “The Brave and The Bold” by Mark Waid. It’s a mini series starring Barry Allen and Hal Jordan that goes over their friendship up until Barry’s death in COIE.
    Thanks everyone! Gonna do some backtracking and then catch up through New 52 and Rebirth Excited to get into it
    CaptainAmericaBatman
    DaredevilTheFlash
    NightwingWinterSoldierRedHood

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •