Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Any word on who’s taking over the Flash book post FS?
    The speculation is Brandon Vietti because he's writing Future State Flash.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Pre-COIE, Barry was unquestionably not a legacy character. No ifs, ands, or buts. You will not see anything in print that remotely suggested it back then, either. Inspired by Jay? Duh! With that said, they both were the first Flashes of their respective worlds. It's only on Cluttered Earth where Barry indeed became a legacy.
    Was Barry based directly on Jay Garrick? Would you say Barry, as a character, relied on the concepts and things Jay Garrick left behind to exist?
    Last edited by Dred; 12-13-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That certainly isn't confirmed though, as we know Justice League isn't by the Future State writer. So not all books are being written by the Future State writers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Was Barry based directly on Jay Garrick? Would you say Barry, as a character, relied on the concepts and things Jay Garrick left behind to exist?
    Not really. Their origins are completely different, to the point Jay didn’t even exist when Barry was created. Both had speed powers, and Barry liked the name. Not until it was established that Jay and Barry were both on the same earth the whole time did Barry become a legacy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Not really. Their origins are completely different, to the point Jay didn’t even exist when Barry was created. Both had speed powers, and Barry liked the name. Not until it was established that Jay and Barry were both on the same earth the whole time did Barry become a legacy.
    So dissimilar that Barry literally took up the continuation of Jay's Comic? And his name?

There's no Barry Allen without Jay Garrick. That's what a legacy is. That's what makes Wally Barry's legacy, not that they were on the same Earth when Wally was created.

The merged Earths just codified what DC already established by giving Barry the same name, comic, powers, and a very similar origin.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

He definitely was a reboot, no doubt about that. That was made perfectly clear right from the start back in '56. Same goes for Hal, Ray, and the Halls. None of them were legacies, however. On Earth-1, they were the first of their kind and weren't in anybody's shadow. That changed with COIE, of course,
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

So dissimilar that Barry literally took up the continuation of Jay's Comic? And his name?
    If he hadn't been reading that stupid comic (God, I hate that part of his origin ), Barry would still be that Earth's first speedster and wearing the scarlet outfit. Would he have been known as the Flash? You got me. Would Jay have been wearing the Mercury hat if he hadn't known about the Roman god (does that make Jay Mercury's legacy to a degree, too )?

I don't see how he's not a thematic legacy, at the very least.

I think they would’ve said he was continuing on the book post Future State if that was the plan, like Catwoman, JLD, WW, Titans, Tec, and Batman/Superman. Any books left that haven’t gotten announcements that they’ll be keeping their FS teams are probably getting new people.

I actually think Tom Taylor is a likely choice to get Flash.

I don't see how he's not a thematic legacy, at the very least.
    I understand what you're saying, but a legacy is someone who is given the torch from a superhero to carry on the name or one who decides to take it on his or her own volition. Before their first meeting, Jay was considered a fictional character, so Barry isn't be a legacy of him. But for us real people, Jay will always be the first Flash from DC Comics - nobody can take that away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but a legacy is someone who is given the torch from a superhero to carry on the name or one who decides to take it on his or her own volition. Before their first meeting, Jay was considered a fictional character, so Barry isn't be a legacy of him. But for us real people, Jay will always be the first Flash from DC Comics - nobody can take that away from him.
    That's why I said in a thematic sense rather than in a direct, physical, sense of passing the torch and name on. I think it carries the same connotations.

Emphasizing Jay as the first Flash makes the legacy aspect more clear in my opinion.

That's why I said in a thematic sense rather than in a direct, physical, sense of passing the torch and name on. I think it carries the same connotations.

Emphasizing Jay as the first Flash makes the legacy aspect more clear in my opinion.
    That's fine, Frontier, but I prefer calling Barry a reboot instead so as not to confuse him with those commonly referred to as legacies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think they would’ve said he was continuing on the book post Future State if that was the plan, like Catwoman, JLD, WW, Titans, Tec, and Batman/Superman. Any books left that haven’t gotten announcements that they’ll be keeping their FS teams are probably getting new people.

I actually think Tom Taylor is a likely choice to get Flash.
    They did just announce a Batman anthology book, Urban Legends, with several of the Future State creative teams (Red Hood by Zdarsky, Grifter by Rosenberg, Harley Quinn by Stephanie Phillips, and Outsiders by Brandon Thomas).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They did just announce a Batman anthology book, Urban Legends, with several of the Future State creative teams (Red Hood by Zdarsky, Grifter by Rosenberg, Harley Quinn by Stephanie Phillips, and Outsiders by Brandon Thomas).
    Hm. So does that mean there won’t be a Red Hood or Harley Quinn solo ongoing, they’ll be restricted to anthologies?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hm. So does that mean there won’t be a Red Hood or Harley Quinn solo ongoing, they’ll be restricted to anthologies?
    Pretty sure Harley already has a confirmed solo ongoing by the same writer.

It’s hard to say what’ll happen to Hood.