Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    He definitely was a reboot, no doubt about that. That was made perfectly clear right from the start back in '56. Same goes for Hal, Ray, and the Halls. None of them were legacies, however. On Earth-1, they were the first of their kind and weren't in anybody's shadow. That changed with COIE, of course,
    These are not mutually exclusive terms. And it was codified as soon as Flash of Two Worlds hit regardless.

Also, if it was rebooting The Flash wouldn't he still be Jay Garrick, just with new stuff? Not a new character? That's not really how I'd see a reboot. Anything else I'd call a reboot in comics started over with all the same characters, but with no history.

Heck, it usually comes with new numbering, too, lol. Which is the thing The Flash explicitly didn't do!

I get where you're coming from, but for all significant intents and purposes Barry fits the mold of a legacy character. I think some people seem to conflate legacy with protégé, and is why they'll say Wally is a legacy and Barry isn't, but plenty of legacy characters aren't protégés. Heck, plenty never met their predecessor. I'm not sure what the important delineation is in needing to share the same continuity at that point.
    Last edited by Dred; 12-14-2020 at 04:36 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    These are not mutually exclusive terms. And it was codified as soon as Flash of Two Worlds hit regardless.

Also, if it was rebooting The Flash wouldn't he still be Jay Garrick, just with new stuff? Not a new character? That's not really how I'd see a reboot. Anything else I'd call a reboot in comics started over with all the same characters, but with no history.
    DC rebooted the Flash, as opposed to Jay Garrick. That's the difference, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

DC rebooted the Flash, as opposed to Jay Garrick. That's the difference, IMO.
    Then why wasn't it Flash #1? But, like I said, even if it was defined as a reboot a reboot isn't mutually exclusive to legacy. They can be both. I just don't see any important criteria in being a legacy character that Barry doesn't meet. Clearly based off of Jay, inspired by Jay, got his name from Jay. Eventually met Jay! Kind of like Jaime and Ted, for instance, just on a multiversal level instead of a back-from-the-dead level.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Explain it to me, Barry .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    It's well-drawn but I hate pretty much every choice here. Barry's suit was always one of the best in comics, but the antenna poking so far out, the extra piping on the costume and that god-awful chin-strap. It just looks like a cheap halloween costume now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's well-drawn but I hate pretty much every choice here. Barry's suit was always one of the best in comics, but the antenna poking so far out, the extra piping on the costume and that god-awful chin-strap. It just looks like a cheap halloween costume now.
    I didn't even notice the extra lines at first.

Totally unnecessary, although I'm fine with the chin strap.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was a story or mention that Barry eventually got Jay's permission to use The Flash name Post-Crisis, but I don't think it was ever meant to be disrespectful, more like an honoring and because Barry was a fan of Jay's Flash.
    Life Story of the Flash. Iris (who the book was written in-character as) mentioned that Barry got more and more nervous about using the name Flash in case Jay showed up and asked him WTF he was doing stealing his name, to the point he stopped referring to himself as the Flash in public. That lasted until the post-Crisis version of Flash of Two Worlds (which involved Keystone having been phased out of normal reality and everyone inside put into stasis by a trio of villains, including the Shade, and forgotten about by everyone left behind), when they met for the first time, and teamed up to return Keystone to normal.

[Curiously, Barry knew Jay's ID from the comics he read even in this version, but Jay didn't have a public ID, did he?]

Using the codenames of active JSA members post-COIE was always stupid, but if you're going to throw them all on the same Earth, what could you do? You have to pound the round peg into the square hole as best as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Life Story of the Flash. Iris (who the book was written in-character as) mentioned that Barry got more and more nervous about using the name Flash in case Jay showed up and asked him WTF he was doing stealing his name, to the point he stopped referring to himself as the Flash in public. That lasted until the post-Crisis version of Flash of Two Worlds (which involved Keystone having been phased out of normal reality and everyone inside put into stasis by a trio of villains, including the Shade, and forgotten about by everyone left behind), when they met for the first time, and teamed up to return Keystone to normal.

[Curiously, Barry knew Jay's ID from the comics he read even in this version, but Jay didn't have a public ID, did he?]
    I was wondering how Flash of Two Worlds happened Post-Crisis. That's an interesting take.

I didn't even notice the extra lines at first.

Totally unnecessary, although I'm fine with the chin strap.
    some have issues with the chin strap... i'm fine with it.

Astonishing Member

Using the codenames of active JSA members post-COIE was always stupid, but if you're going to throw them all on the same Earth, what could you do? You have to pound the round peg into the square hole as best as you can.
    I think it's actually really cool that Jay and Barry are connected and friends.
    Last edited by Dred; 12-21-2020 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    I think it's actually really cool that Jay and Barry are connected and friends.
    They still can be connected and friends with different codenames, though. In reality, that's what would have happened, but CB marketing decisions wouldn't be a factor in the real word, either.

They still can be connected and friends with different codenames, though. In reality, that's what would have happened, but CB marketing decisions wouldn't be a factor in the real word, either.
    I don't think it's really all that necessary for them to have different codenames, though.

I don't think it's really all that necessary for them to have different codenames, though.
    Nothing is necessary, Frontier. Does it make sense is the question {which it doesn't}.