Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The classic Flash outfit was so perfect upon initial concept that it's really difficult to do anything with it that improves upon the original design.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    And some additions to it just seem unnecessary (like all the lines they've added to the costume since the New 52).

BANNED

Love the lines. Wouldn't mind if Spidermans webs had actual webs shooting out.

Flash #750 variants. Jay, Barry and Wally are all featured as they're themed by decade.
    https://www.newsarama.com/48714-the-...nt-covers.html
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Barry's probably the Super Hero Boy who comes off the best on this show.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

The classic Flash outfit was so perfect upon initial concept that it's really difficult to do anything with it that improves upon the original design.

Carmine Infantino was DECADES ahead of his time!!
    The suit he designed for Barry became essentially what every athlete would wear years later.
    It's also why re-designs fail to stick. You can't improve on perfection!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    The suit he designed for Barry became essentially what every athlete would wear years later.
    Agreed! Well said.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    It also established the basic template for post-1956 superhero costumes, which previously been based primarily on the Superman and Batman cape and trunks model. While we would see other new characters with capes and trunks, after 1956, we'd see just even more of the Flash-style costumes which was a one-piece jumpsuit that included a cowl.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

For the last few days, I've been binging The Flash on Netflix and man.. I've become SUPER interested in Barry Allen. Want to start reading his stories.. I picked up Flashpoint but want to go a little further back. Could you guys recommend volumes or paperbacks worth looking into? Would love to get some good background and then catch up through Rebirth

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    For the last few days, I've been binging The Flash on Netflix and man.. I've become SUPER interested in Barry Allen. Want to start reading his stories.. I picked up Flashpoint but want to go a little further back. Could you guys recommend volumes or paperbacks worth looking into? Would love to get some good background and then catch up through Rebirth
    LIFE STORY OF THE FLASH (1998) does a good, succinct job of telling the story of the Silver/Bronze Age Flash, though it's Post-COIE, so there will be some discrepancies from the actual, original Pre-COIE history.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Issue 87
    spoilers:
    Continuing off from the last issue Barry is on his way to Arkham, but he's being transported with Captain Cold. Snart tells Barry to stay away from his sister and they reflect upon their differences and similarities. Meanwhile Iris contact Piper to help Barry, Wallace, and Avery after it's discovered they are out of frequency with their plane of existence. He manages to give them a temporary fix, but while being treated Cold and Glider break out and escape. Wallace and Avery go back to their respective series and future Barry shows up to set up Flash Age.
    end of spoilers

While the arc overall is pretty mediocre this issue just feels like a really rushed conclusion to the it.

Going to Arkham was totally pointless. Honestly, I feel like there was a scrapped arc with Barry in the asylum and Williamson just wanted to keep the trip there in the issue so Barry and Len could talk privately.

The fix for the speedsters problems with their powers just came out of nowhere and feels like it's just left to serve as a get-out-of-jail-free card for some troubles down the road.

The biggest issue overall for me is how big a waste of space Wallace and Avery were. I was really excited for them to be back going into the arc, but they're just so superfluous. They receive pretty much the same characterization as the young, brash, and inexperienced hero and they don't add anything of value. Barry never has any meaningful interactions with them. He and Wallace don't have a heart to heart and make up and Barry and Avery still feel like strangers. I don't doubt that these events won't even be referenced in Teen Titans because there's nothing worth bringing up and Wallace powers will magically be fine until he shows back up in the Flash books again.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I wasn't a fan of the Arkham bit, it didn't feel right, But it was nice to see Hartley again!
    I also liked the shades of Crisis with the last couple of pages.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Check out the silver age paperback collections, they are really fun!

As for modern stuff, I’m not much of a fan. With that being said a lot of the Williamson Rebirth run has been good. My favorite modern Barry story is probably Blackest Night by Geoff Johns. It’s really a green lantern book but Barry plays a fairly significant role.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I would also recommend “The Brave and The Bold” by Mark Waid. It’s a mini series starring Barry Allen and Hal Jordan that goes over their friendship up until Barry’s death in COIE.

LIFE STORY OF THE FLASH (1998) does a good, succinct job of telling the story of the Silver/Bronze Age Flash, though it's Post-COIE, so there will be some discrepancies from the actual, original Pre-COIE history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Check out the silver age paperback collections, they are really fun!

As for modern stuff, I’m not much of a fan. With that being said a lot of the Williamson Rebirth run has been good. My favorite modern Barry story is probably Blackest Night by Geoff Johns. It’s really a green lantern book but Barry plays a fairly significant role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    I would also recommend “The Brave and The Bold” by Mark Waid. It’s a mini series starring Barry Allen and Hal Jordan that goes over their friendship up until Barry’s death in COIE.
    Thanks everyone! Gonna do some backtracking and then catch up through New 52 and Rebirth Excited to get into it