Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    My favorite modern Barry story is probably Blackest Night by Geoff Johns. It’s really a green lantern book but Barry plays a fairly significant role.
    Agreed. The only other Geoff Johns Barry Allen / Flash story I'd recommend is Flashpoint. It was the inspiration for a lot of the TV series.

I'd also recommend Johns' prior Flash run with Wally West, from 20 years ago. Given Johns' involvement with the TV show, there are elements drawn from his initial run way back when.

i keep on daydreaming that i can afford this...

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    Issue 87
    spoilers:
    Continuing off from the last issue Barry is on his way to Arkham, but he's being transported with Captain Cold. Snart tells Barry to stay away from his sister and they reflect upon their differences and similarities. Meanwhile Iris contact Piper to help Barry, Wallace, and Avery after it's discovered they are out of frequency with their plane of existence. He manages to give them a temporary fix, but while being treated Cold and Glider break out and escape. Wallace and Avery go back to their respective series and future Barry shows up to set up Flash Age.
    end of spoilers

While the arc overall is pretty mediocre this issue just feels like a really rushed conclusion to the it.

Going to Arkham was totally pointless. Honestly, I feel like there was a scrapped arc with Barry in the asylum and Williamson just wanted to keep the trip there in the issue so Barry and Len could talk privately.

The fix for the speedsters problems with their powers just came out of nowhere and feels like it's just left to serve as a get-out-of-jail-free card for some troubles down the road.

The biggest issue overall for me is how big a waste of space Wallace and Avery were. I was really excited for them to be back going into the arc, but they're just so superfluous. They receive pretty much the same characterization as the young, brash, and inexperienced hero and they don't add anything of value. Barry never has any meaningful interactions with them. He and Wallace don't have a heart to heart and make up and Barry and Avery still feel like strangers. I don't doubt that these events won't even be referenced in Teen Titans because there's nothing worth bringing up and Wallace powers will magically be fine until he shows back up in the Flash books again.
    I wonder what's everyone thinking about Wallace and Barry? It just feels like they didn't click well right at the start and since nobody's asking for it, writers don't bother improving it. It wouldn't chamge anything if Wallace simply quit superheroics. I dunno, maybe they are leaving an open door for that by not developing him as a part of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    I wonder what's everyone thinking about Wallace and Barry? It just feels like they didn't click well right at the start and since nobody's asking for it, writers don't bother improving it. It wouldn't chamge anything if Wallace simply quit superheroics. I dunno, maybe they are leaving an open door for that by not developing him as a part of the family.
    They aren’t exactly developing any of the Flash family’s relationships with one another. Bart hasn’t talked with Barry or Wally and he doesn’t even know Wallace exists. The entire family is just fractured and for whatever asinine reason aren’t allowed to interact in any substantial way.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post

i keep on daydreaming that i can afford this...
    Yep. It'll be in my display cabinet soon enough.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Yep. It'll be in my display cabinet soon enough.
    i envy you.

it's gotta be one of the best flash statues i've seen (on the internet).

They aren’t exactly developing any of the Flash family’s relationships with one another. Bart hasn’t talked with Barry or Wally and he doesn’t even know Wallace exists. The entire family is just fractured and for whatever asinine reason aren’t allowed to interact in any substantial way.
    And we still have members of the Family that haven't come back yet.

Like, I'm still shocked Jesse hasn't come back yet. Maybe Williamson doesn't want to take the spotlight away from his own female Speedsters but the prime time to bring her in was when she was prominent on the TV show (not that I'm a synergy advocate).

The fact that Bart hasn't seen Barry or deal with what's going on with Wally (or Jay being gone) is practically a crime in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And we still have members of the Family that haven't come back yet.

Like, I'm still shocked Jesse hasn't come back yet. Maybe Williamson doesn't want to take the spotlight away from his own female Speedsters but the prime time to bring her in was when she was prominent on the TV show (not that I'm a synergy advocate).

The fact that Bart hasn't seen Barry or deal with what's going on with Wally (or Jay being gone) is practically a crime in my opinion.
    Williamson hasn’t really done anything with Meena and Avery after Perfect Storm and any character under Bendis’s pen might as well be lost to the void until he’s bored with them.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Williamson hasn’t really done anything with Meena and Avery after Perfect Storm and any character under Bendis’s pen might as well be lost to the void until he’s bored with them.
    That might be true, but since Bart returned in the Flash Annual, I was hoping there would have been some sort of interaction by now.
    And this feeds into my issue with the book.
    Barry is aware he has a grandson running around. He is aware of what is happening with Wally. He knows Jay is out there as well.
    Yet not a single damn page has been printed with him recognising this. (Apart from a couple of panels with Iris about Wally)
    Barry, to me as a reader, still doesn't FEEL like Barry. Is it because I'm just an old fart and been reading too long?

Probably.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    That might be true, but since Bart returned in the Flash Annual, I was hoping there would have been some sort of interaction by now.
    And this feeds into my issue with the book.
    Barry is aware he has a grandson running around. He is aware of what is happening with Wally. He knows Jay is out there as well.
    Yet not a single damn page has been printed with him recognising this. (Apart from a couple of panels with Iris about Wally)
    Barry, to me as a reader, still doesn't FEEL like Barry. Is it because I'm just an old fart and been reading too long?

Probably.
    Maybe Barry's just waiting for someone to guilt trip him. He can't go a few issues without needing that to motivate him...

Astonishing Member

The Flash creative team aren't allowed to use Wally, Wallace and Bart whenever and however they please, since they're associated with other books. They can only "borrow" them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The Flash creative team aren't allowed to use Wally, Wallace and Bart whenever and however they please, since they're associated with other books. They can only "borrow" them.
    See, I feel like this is part of the problem with DC's "family" books that they can hardly even use characters associated with their title hero.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Barry in Crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Barry in Crisis?
    that sounds like a good title for a 6 part mini series...